SASS Wire Forum

Battery Townsley, Ft. Cronkhite, Got Its Gun

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.nps.gov/goga/historyculture/new-gun.htm

On October 1, 2012, a 16-inch naval gun was transported to Fort
Cronkhite for display at Battery Townsley. The giant weapon, 68 feet
long and weighing 120 tons, was once on the battleship USS Missouri and is identical in size and caliber to the ones that protected the bay during World War II.

The gun is now displayed outside Battery Townsley, while plans are
developed to fabricate a replica gun carriage inside the casemate (south
gun room).

Cool.

I did some work at Ft Taylor in Key West. The cw cannon were buried in concrete there to reinforce the walls during the SpanAm War. They were discovered in the 70s and Taylor turned out t be the largest repository of coastal guns in the country. Dahlgrens, Parrots, Columbiads, etc. I've got some pics somewhere I'll get scanned.

It's good to see that they are restoring the Battery. The 16" guns used in coastal fortifications came from the 12 battleships & battlecruisers that were cancelled when the Washington Treaty was signed.

The Golden Gate National Recreation Area also has the only restored Nike site in the nation. http://www.nps.gov/goga/nike-missile-site.htm

My wifes dad was a Warrant there. Apparently he couldn't talk about a lot of stuff. We found out at some of the work parties early on in the restoration that he played a key role there.

Ft Taylor also had a disappearing gun originally. It was sent to England during WWII.

The ammo magazine was haunted, so they say. I spent a night in it once. It definitely was creepy.

Archived