SASS Wire Forum

Confederate Helicopter?

Subdeacon Joe

http://blog.nasm.si.edu/aviation/plans-for-the-little-known-confederate-helicopter/

As my colleague Dr. Tom Crouch referenced in a previous post, our nation is currently in the midst of commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War (or sesquicentennial for you Latin fans). While other branches of the Smithsonian, such as the National Museum of American History and National Portrait gallery, have a wide depth of artifacts and images with which they can share stories from the time
period, the National Air and Space Museum has far fewer relevant items in its collection. We do, however, have some of the most surprising Civil War artifacts in the entire Institution. Not only does the Museum preserve Thaddeus Lowe’s “double telescope,” but the Museum’s Archives Department preserves a set of drawings containing plans for the most marvelous of contraptions – the Confederate helicopter.

And just what's wrong with "Going South ?" :wacko:

Y'all Yankees do it all da time ! :o

No wonder they lost :P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

We did ?

Ya shore bout dat ?

AInt all y'all Yankees goin' south, spend yur yankee dollars an go home ta save up ta do it all over agin ?

Sounds like we didn't lose t'all ! :o

Yeah, but half the time they don't go back.

Well dat a differant kind a Yankee ! :lol::lol::lol:

Did you know that y'all comes from Scotch-Irish for ye all. Ye is the plural of thou (you) (remember "oh come all ye faithful"). When the Scotch-Irish came over to America and settled in the Appalachian mountain area, it got shortened to y'all. Learned that last night from TV show about American slang.

My favorite Southern phrase is "bless his/her heart."

Ever hear of anyone retiring and going north?

And how many people from the south say things like "Oh, and I'll be going north for the summer, I just can't take summer down here?"

Y'all is singular, Y'alls is plural.

DD

Is 'all y'all' the plural?

Fueled by Bourbon no doubt.

No wonder they lost :P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Lost? LOST? Yankee government is taking 25% to 35% of your hard earned money and you call that winning?

Thousands turn out every year to see the Confederate Air Force, a group of fellows based out of Texas who keep and fly warbirds from WWI through Vietnam.

The yanks used a balloon tethered to the ground to rise above the battlefield and direct artillery fire. Our snipers put an end to widespread use of such foolishness. (Actually I had family fight on both sides, probably like many other families. My families were on both sides of the Crater in the unlawful siege of Petersburg. Bloody Grant rained mortar shells onto the city full of noncombatants for nine months.)

Thousands turn out every year to see the Confederate Air Force, a group of fellows based out of Texas who keep and fly warbirds from WWI through Vietnam.

The yanks used a balloon tethered to the ground to rise above the battlefield and direct artillery fire. Our snipers put an end to widespread use of such foolishness. (Actually I had family fight on both sides, probably like many other families. My families were on both sides of the Crater in the unlawful siege of Petersburg. Bloody Grant rained mortar shells onto the city full of noncombatants for nine months.)

I am about to get my degree in the study of the Civil War. Until then, I will keep my mouth shut about this subject.

However....(Y'all ^_^ like dat big word ! :lol: ) I'll tell ya.......ders Yankees an din ders damned Yankees ! :lol::lol:

An I'm just funnin' here !

My favorite Southern phrase is "bless his/her heart."

Two informally dressed ladies happened to start up a conversation during an endless wait in the LAX airport.

The first lady was an arrogant California woman married to a wealthy man.

The second was a well-mannered elderly woman from the South.

When the conversation centered on whether they had any children, the California woman started by saying, "When my first child was born, my husband built a beautiful mansion for me."

The lady from the South commented, "Well, bless your heart."

The first woman continued, "When my second child was born, my husband bought me a beautiful Mercedes-Benz..

Again, the lady from the South commented, "Well, bless your heart."

The first woman continued boasting, "Then, when my third child was born, my husband bought me this exquisite diamond bracelet.

Yet again, the Southern lady commented, "Well, bless your heart."

The first woman then asked her companion, "What did your husband buy for you when you had your first child?"

"My husband sent me to charm school," declared the Southern lady.

"Charm school?" the first woman cried, "Oh, my God! What on earth for?"

The Southern lady responded, "Well for example, instead of saying "Who gives a shit?" I learned to say, "Well, bless your heart".

Ever hear of anyone retiring and going north?

And how many people from the south say things like "Oh, and I'll be going north for the summer, I just can't take summer down here?"

Is 'all y'all' the plural?

Joe, IIRC, ALL Y'ALL means the whole dang town, three villages across the creek, and all your kin folk.

Makes for a heck of a hoe down or family get together. Some good ets too.

Joe, IIRC, ALL Y'ALL means the whole dang town, three villages across the creek, and all your kin folk.

Makes for a heck of a hoe down or family get together. Some good ets too.

Being a bit redundant there, aren't you?

They changed the name to "Commemorative Air Force"

Lost? LOST? Yankee government is taking 25% to 35% of your hard earned money and you call that winning?

Yup... Lost...and your hard earned money is bein' takin' too ;)

GG ~ :lol:

Now that's funny right there, Hawk!

After another foot of snow last night and 10 hour power failure today; I am ready to go south :ph34r::D:D

Think I can blame this snow on that evil critter? :P

Archived