SASS Wire Forum

What's the call?

Blackwater 53393

Wouldn't the cylinders act as little barrels...where as a cartridge basically goes Pop!

Hmmmm...

No, unless you call about 1/4" a barrel. Actually, the ball will eject but less velocity. See there is not enough length to allow pressure build up as in a barrel. The same as if you drop a cartridge and it goes off. The projectile could enter the body if pretty close to it.

If you could find Rowdy's research, he used a canon fuse to simulate a chain fire. This is equal to dropping a cylinder and it going off.

I don't think anyone has advocated tossing a loaded C&B cylinder over your shoulder. That's quite a leap from removing one from the arbor of a frame.

bingo!

You could not pay me enough to throw a loaded and capped cylinder up over my head and let it hit the ground but I would do this all day long with cartridges. I guess that makes me a coward.

Funny you should mention that. We had an incident in the same match where an ejected or dropped cartridge landed on the ground and went off. I do not know any details, but the shooter told me that it DID happen. In the literally millions of rounds we buy, load, reload, and shoot, the likelyhood of strange and unusual occurances is multiplied and magnified beyond all expectations.

No, unless you call about 1/4" a barrel. Actually, the ball will eject but less velocity. See there is not enough length to allow pressure build up as in a barrel. The same as if you drop a cartridge and it goes off. The projectile could enter the body if pretty close to it.

If you could find Rowdy's research, he used a canon fuse to simulate a chain fire. This is equal to dropping a cylinder and it going off.

Don't take much of a "barrel"...Knuckle Duster's are cool...

But what do I know...

Wouldn't the cylinders act as little barrels...where as a cartridge basically goes Pop!

Hmmmm...

A chamber firing in a C&B AIN"T NOTHING like a dropped cartridge that fires. I've personally witnessed a number of dropped cartridges going off when the primer hits. They turn into tiny grenades. Seen shrapnel-riddled ankles and bruises where a bullet, 130gr FMJ 38 special, traveled from the ground to the shooter's arm at shoulder height.

A C&B cylinder IS like a little barrel. There is no brass case to rupture and vent the pressure. I doubt the ball would develop full power but I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to be anywhere NEAR a capped cylinder that was dropped!

Blackwater ,,You big ole teddy bear. This conversation was meant to be a learning process for all of us. I am not mad at any one about anything and enjoy learning more each day... BUT when it comes to those cap and ballers,,,,, I just hang on and hold my breath !!!! I say that in the nicest way of course.... Did anyone ever really have a good--- Whats the call answer????? all this reading I forgot which way it went. I say " bases are loaded-- next batter"

Let's go to the stage and do some singing !!!!!! Now that's important,, can I get an Amen brother !!!!!

AMEN BROTHER!!!

Lookin' forward to Ohio and another big party!!! It went both ways as usual!! PW says the repairs on the line are okay. Me an' you communicatin' is more important. We've TO/ROed each other enough to know that we are gonna' make it work, and smile the whole time!! Next time, you just holler "STOP!" 'n' I'll do 'er right then.

Some of us that shoot cap 'n' ball should probably learn that some of the best range officers in the game seldom if ever have to deal with us, and our unusual circumstances. We talk about the rest of the shooters tolerating us, but we got's ta' understand them too! :lol:B)

T-Bone! If you make Ohio you'll be expected to sit in with the band!!! :o:lol:

Archived