SASS Wire Forum

An Astounding Abundance of Stupid

Subdeacon Joe

State bill would allow non-citizens to serve as jurors

SACRAMENTO — The state Assembly on Thursday passed a bill that
would make California the first state in the nation to allow
non-citizens who are in the country legally to serve on jury duty.

Assemblyman Bob Wieckowski, D-Fremont, said his bill, AB1401, would help California
widen the pool of prospective jurors and help integrate immigrants into the community. It does not change other criteria for being eligible to serve on a jury, such as being at least 18, live in the county that is making the summons and being proficient in English.

The bill passed 45-25 largely on a party-line vote in the Democratic-controlled Assembly and will move on to the Senate. One Democrat — Assemblyman Adam Gray, of Merced — voted no, while other Democrats did not vote.

Anything I say would get my hand slapped and the thread locked. :angry::angry::angry:

It must be the water in the white house!

Not defending the bill, which I think is idiotic, but this likely stems from so many people doing everything they can to get out of jury duty.

On an only tangentially related note. I have been called for jury duty several times and am always rejected. I am pretty sure it is because I have a full time job, do not have a criminal record, and have an education; basically I do not qualify for the "jury of their peers".

Not defending the bill, which I think is idiotic, but this likely stems from so many people doing everything they can to get out of jury duty.

On an only tangentially related note. I have been called for jury duty several times and am always rejected. I am pretty sure it is because I have a full time job, do not have a criminal record, and have an education; basically I do not qualify for the "jury of their peers".

Count yer blessing. Seems like I usually get picked. :(

JHC

Hmmm....Sounds like both running out of & running out. AZ is a short move, lots of good clubs, come on over, glad to have more good folks.

I think it's time to start picketing some of these idiot legislator's houses. They're too insulated from the real world; maybe seeing some actual reaction to their "utopian lunacy" might jar 'em back to reality. <_<

Pards, take a look at the bigger picture. You usually get a jury summons only if you are registered to vote. Does that mean that California is allowing non-citizens to vote? And if this is the case, why are they not being called out on the carpet for THAT?

Pards, take a look at the bigger picture. You usually get a jury summons only if you are registered to vote. Does that mean that California is allowing non-citizens to vote? And if this is the case, why are they not being called out on the carpet for THAT?

In California they use drivers licenses to call folks for jury duty.

And now, thanks to the same bunch of legislative lunatics, even illegal "immigrants" are allowed - even encouraged - to have driver's licenses.

And now, thanks to the same bunch of legislative lunatics, even illegal "immigrants" are allowed - even encouraged - to have driver's licenses.

The bill specifies "legal." What I'm wondering is if they will have to show ID and proof they are here legally.

Don't see why, you don't have to show id to vote here :angry:

Back when I started voting, I do believe we had to.

Not that it matters... unless you show up at the polling place and discover you've already voted! :o

Don't worry none of them will be picked to serve anyway they won't understand them anyway! I was in jury duty last year where the judge released 4 legal people because he couldn't understand them!

Archived