SASS Wire Forum

Neighbors Sue Founders Ranch

SASS should release a press statement that they understand the concerns of a couple of the neighbors about the shooting. SASS has tried to be a good neighbor but does not desire to be involved in protracted law suits. As a result, SASS is in the process of negotiating a deal to sell the land to Corporate Corrections of America. CCA plans to open a half way house and work release program for New Mexico's criminally insane.

"We like the fact that mainstreaming and community interaction is part of their adjustment program" :D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No... LG... that would be the WORST thing they could do. This isn't a 3rd grade playground; this is a legal proceeding. The less any party involved says publicly the better.

No question that SASS should carefully consdier public statements--they are admissions that are admissable in court against them. But a neutral report on whether the hearing occurred, how long it took, witnesses that appeared and expected date of ruling or next scheduled hearing would seem appropriate.

All of the lawyers in SASS are interested, and each of us probably have our own opinions on what should or should not be done. None of which SASS should discuss with us publicly. But at least a report on whether the hearing happened and current status would be nice.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Well... at least you ain't usin' the approach of my folks 'round here. We're in different country... have different styles.

If we get sued here 'bouts... sometimes... folks get paid a visit.

Everthang gets cleared up to ever body's satisfaction... pretty quick.

ts

Went back and re-read his post and I still can't find any sign of him saying anything like that.

I was just kidding. I haven't messed with KK in a while.

Went back and re-read his post and I still can't find any sign of him saying anything like that.

Possum Skinner, Dirty Dan Dawkins was just funnin' with me a little bit...I'm sure he owes me anyway. I'll return the favor...we get along that way.

Would it be too much to ask for a summary of the case thus far.

I think could be done without making any admissions.

Is the case over. Is it continued.

Is there a finding. Is it waiting for a judge to write an opinion.

Is it to a jury if that is part of it.

No question about it though, this is the difference between being a MEMBER and being a CUSTOMER.

As a MEMBER, I would expect an announcement at least to the membership when the case concludes.

As a CUSTOMER I really don't expect anything.

Some believe we are members some believe we are customer.

I feel more like a customer. SASS is a business and not a NPO.

I pushed the "Like This" button on this one but of course that function doesn't work.

So +1

There needs to be a "I was here first." clause in all zoning laws.

No... LG... that would be the WORST thing they could do. This isn't a 3rd grade playground; this is a legal proceeding. The less any party involved says publicly the better.

WRONG......

As a member of SASS. There is no reason in the world that we should not at least have a case summary. Isn't that public info, BTW?

After all, isn't 'our' $$$ be'n burned up fight'n this lawsuit..........

Hacker, you are 110% on, with your remarks.

I don't feel like I'm a member or customer of SASS in this deal.......More like a mushroom.

LG

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, May 11, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, May 11, 2013 - No reason given

Well... at least you ain't usin' the approach of my folks 'round here. We're in different country... have different styles.

If we get sued here 'bouts... sometimes... folks get paid a visit.

Everthang gets cleared up to ever body's satisfaction... pretty quick.

ts

Same here, what back-ho's is needed for at times and a lot of acres ;)

SASS is a privately held company. Once you pay your dues, etc. the money is there's to do what they want with. In situations like this I would venture to guess there attorney has advised them to remain quite. Whatever they say would or could be used against them. That's what newspapers and attorney's for the opposition do.

The meetings with the County are public and they should publish the actions they took at that meeting. Try doing a search for the public hearing and see what pop's up.

Ike

SASS is a privately held company. Once you pay your dues, etc. the money is there's to do what they want with. In situations like this I would venture to guess there attorney has advised them to remain quite. Whatever they say would or could be used against them. That's what newspapers and attorney's for the opposition do.

The meetings with the County are public and they should publish the actions they took at that meeting. Try doing a search for the public hearing and see what pop's up.

Ike

My 'puter search 'foo' ain't the best.

Had 'no-joy' for find'n updates.....

LG

No question that SASS should carefully consdier public statements--they are admissions that are admissable in court against them. But a neutral report on whether the hearing occurred, how long it took, witnesses that appeared and expected date of ruling or next scheduled hearing would seem appropriate.

All of the lawyers in SASS are interested, and each of us probably have our own opinions on what should or should not be done. None of which SASS should discuss with us publicly. But at least a report on whether the hearing happened and current status would be nice.

I'll have to go along with DHD. A report of sorts, would be nice.

Luckily, here in NC we have the "Range Protection Act" that does just that.

Still, I've seen a lot places with of those laws go under simply because they couldn't afford to fight the developers, activists, etc. Sad, but true.

They are inTorrance County New Mexico. Several news articles. Some on SASS's side others not so much. When the County Commissioners voted down adding additional venues they added into the action re-visiting the original Conditional Use Permit. Which means they can do anything now. The Neighbors have filed a suit against SASS. Besides the noise they are also complaining about traffic, roads being too small to handle the traffic, etc.

I couldn't find the Court proceedings since it's an open case. SASS has been very nice and wanting to work with the Commissioners. They have apologized for the one event that caused the initial complaints. Which was not an approved use. One article stated that the original approval in 2004 didn't include shotguns, just revolvers. They must be reading something into the complaint.

I watched the Commission meeting video. They are trying to resolve this without being a proponent of either side. The problem is one of the commissioners admits that they get a financial benefit from SASS. They have some sort of business. Now they look bad to the public according to the news article. They realize that SASS brings revenue to the region and tax dollars.

The neighbors seem to be the most vocal at the meetings. They are also complaining about how much it is costing them to bring the lawsuit.

Lumpy

I did several searches. Sass and court case on Torrance County New Mexico. News articles about SASS and Torrance County. Neighbors sue SASS. Torrence County Commission and SASS. Also go tot he Torrance County web site and click on County COmmission. You'll get the videos and the agendas and minutes from their meetings.

You get the feeling that the neighbors think that shotguns weren't supposed to be shot there. The Commission has publicly stated that SASS is doing nothing wrong.

Ike

They are inTorrance County New Mexico. Several news articles. Some on SASS's side others not so much. When the County Commissioners voted down adding additional venues they added into the action re-visiting the original Conditional Use Permit. Which means they can do anything now. The Neighbors have filed a suit against SASS. Besides the noise they are also complaining about traffic, roads being too small to handle the traffic, etc.

I couldn't find the Court proceedings since it's an open case. SASS has been very nice and wanting to work with the Commissioners. They have apologized for the one event that caused the initial complaints. Which was not an approved use. One article stated that the original approval in 2004 didn't include shotguns, just revolvers. They must be reading something into the complaint.

I watched the Commission meeting video. They are trying to resolve this without being a proponent of either side. The problem is one of the commissioners admits that they get a financial benefit from SASS. They have some sort of business. Now they look bad to the public according to the news article. They realize that SASS brings revenue to the region and tax dollars.

The neighbors seem to be the most vocal at the meetings. They are also complaining about how much it is costing them to bring the lawsuit.

Thanks for sharing.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Court clerks websites vary greatly in how much info you can get online. In Oklahoma in the larger counties you can get almost everything which has occurred in a case. New Mexico isn't always so easy to look up; Taos County has some info but its difficult to pin down. I think I'll take a look at Torrance County and see what I can find out.

As I stated before, I just hope the "burden" the neighbors feel helps them decide to just turn the Tv up and notch and fuggedaboudit. If that "burden were relieved by some anti with deep pockets SASS could be in trouble. A Bloomberg as a fairy godfather to finance suits would bankrupt FR. You can be right and still lose if you run out of money and cannot respond to all the BS they end up asking for.

OK I looked up the case and what little I can see shows that the lawsuit was filed April 4, 2013, alleging Private Nuisance, Public Nuisance and requesting injunctive relief. SASS is the defendant. The docket shows that the application for a temporary restraining order was denied on April 29th, and there is an order vacating the hearing previously scheduled for May 9th, probably because the court denied the application for temporary restraining order on the briefs without a hearing. So the case is what we attorneys call "at issue" and pending as far as the remainder of what the plaintiffs are seeking. I would think that there being no temporary restraining order things can progress as usual in the interim, of course this doesn't affect anything the county might do in regard to the permit to operate which is not part of the lawsuit since the county is not a party to the litigation.

If you want to look up the case it is located at: www.NMCourts.gov This is a puclic record if you want to know about the court hearing dates and motions.

Follow the prompts and this is the case number D-722-CV-201300059.

Thanks...

GG

If you want to look up the case it is located at: www.NMCourts.gov This is a puclic record if you want to know about the court hearing dates and motions.

Follow the prompts and this is the case number D-722-CV-201300059.

X2 for the THANKS!

LG

• 4 weeks later...

Was case dismissed?

I'm torn, would this be stupidity, irony or an equal mix of both??? :blink:

That's why I only shoot suppressed.. then you can shoot anywhere!

SASS should issue silencers at every match at FR..No more problem ;)

Archived