SASS Wire Forum

Beginner Holster Advice

Judge Lewis

I am just starting in CAS. My wife is buying me a holster and I need some advice on whether I should use a cross draw holster on the left side. I have read some posts that a cross draw can get you DQ if you aren't very careful how you draw it. I assume that this because the pistol faces backwards in the holdter. Any advice would be welcome.

My advice would be to go with two strong sides, one on the left, one on the right. Less to worry about that was as you are just getting started. If you decide you want to go cross draw later, just buy one holster.

Many folks don't understand the correct way to draw from the cross draw under the rules, and they are quick to 'correct' a greenhorn even though they don't know what they are talking about. It ain't right, but it happens.

Good video series, by Long Hunter.

Nothing wrong with a cross draw--just do the shuffle.

Keeps you from switching a gun from one hand to the other & the problems that can cause.

You'll see lotsa crossdraws out there.

For good reason.

I like them & use them sometimes.

Talk to shooters who use them at yer local club & watch them too.

--Dawg

Cross draw is not a good choice if you think you will ever try shooting gunfighter or double duelist styles, or if you are attracted to dressing up in B Western category.

Hey Allie Mo, I aint touching this one! I'm learning! :)

Hard to argue with Long Hunter though!

Another question that is best addressed by attending a local match and talking to experienced shooters about what they use and why. I personally favor two strong side holsters but there are good shooters who use a cross draw rig.

Cross draw shuffle is not even necessary if

1. Cross Draw is worn pretty close to Belly Button

2. Shooter steps forward with the foot that is on same side of cross draw.

Check it out Holster may well have the muzzle of the pistol pointing more than 5 degrees in front of the firing line.

Cross draw is fine especially if you don't want to take the chance of dropping a loaded pistol by switching it to your right hand. As Cpt. Dan Blodgett said Step forward with the foot that is on the same side of the cross draw.

I always shoot my left pistol first and stand almost 90 degrees to the firing line so I'm not doing any "dance." Never had a problem.

Cross Draw has worked fine for me, never had a DQ for braking 170. I learned from the Longhunter video I always do it the same way, pretty soon it'll become second nature to you.

On the other hand I have a Buddy that bought a cross draw rig only to find out that he wanted to shoot duelist. So 2 or 3 years later he's ordered a new rig.

I would agree that going to a shoot and see if you can try both style of holsters is the best thing to do. But you'll need to decide if you're gonna shoot using both hands or duelist.

Have fun finding out.

Frenchy

Howdy

Let's get one thing straight. Nowhere does the rulebook say anything about a 'dance' or a 'shuffle' or anything else that involves your feet. The point is the muzzle must not break the 180 (or 170 if you prefer). Anything necessary to get the gun out of the holster and back in without breaking the 170 is fine. Here is what the shooter's handbook has to say about the matter:

21. Extreme care must be exercised when drawing a revolver from a cross-draw or shoulder holster or returning the revolver to leather. The user must “twist” their body, if necessary, to insure the muzzle never breaks the 170-degree safety rule during the process.
In other words, if you can get the cross draw gun out of the holster and back again without breaking the 170, then you are good. But be forewarned, you WILL encounter ROs who insist you have to 'do the dance' in other words take a step, while using a cross draw rig. They are wrong. They should be watching the shooter's muzzle, not his feet.
Also, be aware that main match holsters are not supposed to 'depart from the vertical by more than 30 degrees when worn', although I have never seen it defined just how you measure that. But many cross draw holsters do hang at more than 30 degrees from vertical.
Personally, I have always used a cross draw rig in CAS. My cross draw holster is not canted or made as a cross draw holster. It is a regular straight draw holster worn backwards on my left side. At my side, not in front like a belly bag. Of course, I am just about the slowest shooter on the posse, but I have a great time.

I shot a crossdraw for five years and the thing to do is get it so that it lays flat against your front so that it points 90 degrees from where you are facing(not talking vertical angle). Then have your strong side sitting on the same plane at the same cant so that you get in one position and dont have to turn when transitioning between pistols. That being said I did just switch to double strong sides to make transitions to other guns better.

Personally, I have always used a cross draw rig in CAS. My cross draw holster is not canted or made as a cross draw holster. It is a regular straight draw holster worn backwards on my left side. At my side, not in front like a belly bag. Of course, I am just about the slowest shooter on the posse, but I have a great time.[/size][/font]

People always cite the champions as models, not without reason. Lead Dispencer, *the* champion, wears a crossdraw.

Yes, funny, we seem to go in cycles and always think the current one will be the end all.Get one or two champions using the same technique for a few years running and we think the evolution has peaked!Then along comes a new face doing it different and a whole new crop of shooters follow. I started out cross draw and can tell you, switching after a few years is not easy or natural for some of us. Cross draw seems more natural to some of us while double strong-side is a more universal platform for our game. If I had to guess as to which is the fastest, hmmm go to a list of current and past champions to get a list and then you can give us some ideas.

If you do go with straight hang holsters, make sure you do not have leather over the trigger guard and rear portion of top strap. This allows off hand draw with thumb on top strap and one or more fingers on the trigger guard. This leaves the grip open for grasping by the strong hand when you raise your pistol to your chest area. If you have to grab the off hand pistol by the grip, you will then have to transfer the grip from one hand to the other. This slows the off hand draw and increases the risk of dropping the off hand pistol. If you use the thumb and finger draw off hand draw, it is just as fast and safe as a cross draw and easier to not break the 170 cone.

I've shot double crossdraw, shooting with each hand without a problem. This year I'm trying double strong-side, again shooting with each hand. I fumble enough; no need to add the chance of dropping a loaded revolver while switching hands.

Another question that is best addressed by attending a local match and talking to experienced shooters about what they use and why. I personally favor two strong side holsters but there are good shooters who use a cross draw rig.

Howdy Judge, what Abe said. Go to some local matches, ask to try out the different gear, try before you buy. Give the match director a call, sometimes they can have some gear lined up for you, try before you buy ;) IMHO good leather is the first peice of equipment a new shooter should buy, even before buying pistols. Cheap leather is just that, cheap :unsure: Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

When I first started shooting duelist I was switching hands as I had not mastered the 'double duelist' technique.(Still haven't LOL) A good friend said I should start shooting crossdraw as I would only have to draw with one hand. I was leery because I didn't want to risk a DQ because of the crossdraw shuffle. I saw this video by Longhunter and that is now how I shoot crossdraw. However, as someone else mentioned, probably better to start with strongside and practice until you have a little more experience. Best of luck and welcome to the WONDERFUL world of CAS! :D

~Blue

Archived