SASS Wire Forum

OT Want to buy a .22 pistol for my lovely wife, but...

My lovely bride keeps hinting that she'd like to have a .22 pistol. We were in a gun store on Friday and she wondered why those cute little guns (baby .380's and 9 mm's) didn't come in .22. She seems to think that a semi-auto is what she might like to have although she won't come right out and say it, so I'm looking for suggestions for decent semi-auto .22's that won't break the bank that I can have her handle and see what she likes. She has essentially no handgun experience, although I've offered the opportunity many times. One of the first on my list is the Ruger SR22, which I found at Sportsman's Warehouse for about $330. Any other suggestions would be appreciated...

IMHO I think the Walther P22 is a really nice and easy to handle semi-auto 22. The Beretta Bobcat is another nice, small .22 with a tip-up barrel, so you don't have to rack the slide to get started. Might also be worth looking at some .25 caliber guns. Let us know what you find.

hOWDY, IF SHE'S JUST GOING TO PLINK, I'D RECOMMEND A RUGER SINGLE SIX, A RUGER MARK 3 OR A COLT SCOUT. ALL UNDER $400, BUT IF SHES LOOKING TO CARRY I RECOMMEND A WALTER PPK/S IN 380, OR A GLOC 26 IN 9MM

ENG

I'm thinking that she doesn't want it for carry, just for plinking, so a .22 would be perfect.

Hard to go wrong with a Ruger or Browning Buckmark unless she is wanting something really small.

I would give her a chance to shoot both a revolver and a semiauto before making the final decision. My Smith and Wesson Model 18 and my Colt Diamondback .22s are a joy to shoot...nothin' says lovin' like a classic revolver!

Whatever you buy for her, make sure it has a decent trigger. Crappy triggers take all the fun out of plinking.

How big are her hands?

Folks with small hands, especially those with short fingers will be unlikely to feel confident enough with a full-sized semi auto pistol, even in .22. The ergonomics just fail em, even worse that those of a revolver.

That said, a BERSA Thunder in .22 is a PPK-sized pistol with decent accuracy and is very well-made. Give one a look. If unavailable locally, have her handle the Thunder .380, which is essentially the same gun, to get a feel for it.

Sig 1911-22 that I got a couple of months ago is a blast to shoot. Can't use it in Wild Bunch, but is a fun gun to shoot.

I'm with J-Bar on his autopistol recommendations: Browning Buckmark or Ruger (Mark III or 22/45).

+1. And the Browning can be had with reduced sized grips for the small-hands set.

Ruger MkIII, 22/45 or a used MK II

The Walther P22 is (IMO) a piece of junk.

I have never seen a single one that runs well - they tend to stove pipe and fail to pick up rounds from the magazine.

I have no experience with the SR22 Ruger copy - but I have not been impressed with Rugers QC in the last few years and copying a poor design rarely makes a good gun.

wife has a SR 22 likes it. not all that great for plinking

have a browning buckmark and ruger 22's

Just bought a Taurus model 94 4" barrel great for plinking.

See Ya

CCBA

Ruger Mark III. GREAT .22 semiauto, extraordinarily reliable.

Although a lot of people carry .22LR as a carry pistol, more than you might think given how almost everyone recommends a bigger caliber (I'm not recommending it, just saying a lot of people DO carry a .22, even me sometimes), the Mark III is really too big for any practical concealed carry in warm weather clothes. (But then so is a 1911 or a Sig. Tee shirt tucked in, shorts, sneakers; where exactly you going to put a 1911 or a Sig so its concealed?) For a .22 semiauto for concealed carry I like the Taurus PT22, - fits in your pocket.

But if you just want a fun, reliable .22 semiauto, the Ruger Mark III can't be beat.

A Beretta Bobcat loaded with CCI Stingers was my carry gun for many years. And I took all the flack about it being a "mouse"gun but never found anyone willing to stand and receive at 25', The Ruger Mark ? and Buckmark are great for plinking, but I'd look for something with a polymer frame if the weight is an issue.

She should shoot some before she picks. She may like the looks of the small guns but when it comes to shooting hits are easier with the larger 22s, More hits = More fun

It all depends......

Fun & games with paper and steel targets?....or

Learning about a 'helper' to have when it is needed.

a .22 is good fun and easy on targets - and 'may' be OK if the perp is within a few (3) yards and you get a good clean hit.

a .38 spl or 9mm may be a lot better for personal protection if that is the objective.

She needs to determine the objective for holding and using a gun - and then make an appropriate decision.

Howdy,

My favorite is the Ruger Mk II.

It comes in many styles. Heavy barrel Mk II thinks it is a rifle.

The one thing to avoid is some of the new offerings from other makers

as many are very fussy about what ammo they will run.

I found a nice used Mk II for under $200 and it runs all sorts of ammo fine.

If she likes the 45 grip there are Mk II 22-45s.

There are also lightweight Mk III 22-45 with replaceable grips.

The Ruger .22 was the gun that started the company, still going.

I think the Mk II is the best pinker ever.

One sunny afternoon I took mine to a private range and shot ten round

about as quick as I could get back on target. The tin can bounced and

jumped ever which way. When I was done, I carefully counted 18 holes

in the can. I missed just once. A fun exercise.

Best

CR

Get a Sig P226 22LR reasonably priced and what the great part is, you can convert it to a 9mm, 40 S&W or 357 sig for around $300.00 when she wants something with more punch.

KK

Love my Ruger SR22 and my Sig 1911/22.

The SR22 is a more practical size to carry, should she ever decide to keep in on her person or in the console of the vehicle.

..........Widder

Charlie, I have a sweet shooting Ruger Mark III that I can bring to the next shoot we're at, take it home and let her try it. It's not for sale but will help you/her in the decision making process.

muck

Thanks, Muck. I might just take you up on that. I'll try to remember to let you know the next time I'm gonna be up your way.

We're headed down south to see our son in a couple of weeks. I may just see if I can find a gun store that has several .22's she can try out.

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks!

Walther P-22 very nice lite and easy to shoot, hammer fired, Smith Wesson MP-22 the same but holds a 12 round magazine.

+1 Those would be my choices. Also the Ruger LCR. I know it's a revolver but it's a nice shooting little gun. Holds 8 rounds.

Rye

The Ruger Mark II & II are great, but being essentially full-sized pistols, maybe a little larger than she wants. They would work well and fit her hands just fine. Similar the nice Buckmark and several others mentioned.

I just handled the SR22 and it is one neat pistol. Ruger learned from the Smith and Sig so it is really sweet. And a lot easier to take apart for cleaning, etc than the Mark II & III.

I'm not sure she knows what she really wants. I'm hoping to get a chance for her to handle some different guns when we're down yonder and get a better idea. I'm kind of partial to Ruger products myself, but it'll be up to her...

Thanks, y'all!

Archived