SASS Wire Forum

Percussion Pistols - NY, NJ, HI, CA, MA, WI... What are your State Laws?

McCandless

I've bought and sold a lot of percussion pistols over the years, and I wanted to know if which states I cannot sell to anymore... I'm not a commercial seller, just have fun shooting cap n' ball guns. There's no federal law restricting sales to any states... but local and state laws are a mess. Here in N'awth Ca'lina, there's no such problem, but what about the states I see on Cabela's "No Fly" list...

Heck, to simplify matters, I see that some sellers on Gunbroker are requiring percussion pistols ship to an FFL. That takes the guess work out of it.

Where can these guns NOT be shipped to your door? (Meanwhile, I'll continue to Internet Search State Gun Laws)...

I've bought and sold a lot of percussion pistols over the years, and I wanted to know if which states I cannot sell to anymore... I'm not a commercial seller, just have fun shooting cap n' ball guns. There's no federal law restricting sales to any states... but local and state laws are a mess. Here in N'awth Ca'lina, there's no such problem, but what about the states I see on Cabela's "No Fly" list...

Heck, to simplify matters, I see that some sellers on Gunbroker are requiring percussion pistols ship to an FFL. That takes the guess work out of it.

Where can these guns NOT be shipped to your door? (Meanwhile, I'll continue to Internet Search State Gun Laws)...

Might consider using Cabela's as a guide. If Cabela's won't ship a cap & ball to a certain state or certain parts of state, you shouldn't either. I'm sure they have attorneys that keep them current on what is legal and what isn't.

Chantry,

What about CT, any change in gun laws recently, there (regarding C&B)...

Chantry,

What about CT, any change in gun laws recently, there (regarding C& B)...

Not to my knowledge

Thanks for Lumpy! So, CA is more C&B friendly than some of the eastern states! Good to know.

NY is an odd duck here. A NY resident (at least upstate, not sure about NYC) one can take delivery and OWN a cap n ball without paperwork as an antique or replica, but if ya have the powder, balls and caps to fire it, it's considered a handgun and all the permit issues apply. So you can sell it to a NYer, but he'd be advised to comply with the permit laws if he intends to shoot it....

There are (I think) three counties that you can't ship directly to in CA, Ventura, Yolo, and I can't remember the third. I just got two C&Bs by mail directly as I don't live in a proscribed county.

Carlos

I live and operate my gun store in Ventura County and you are absolutely incorrect. There may be some companies that will not ship to our county, but there is no county ordinance in existance that prevents us from mail ordering or receiving one. Please get your facts straight before posting bad info.

Can't ship C&B pistols to TN, or muzzleloading rifles or shotguns, either.

Not sure if you can buy them legally by going thru an FFL or not, but that kinda defeats the purpose, don't it? Especially by the time you pay the fees at both ends.

There are a lot of companies that won't ship C&B to California (Sportsmans guide for one) but that is because their corporate lawyers have told them not to, not because of the laws. I fought SMG tooth and nail many years ago over a C&B they had at a great price but despite talking to many levels of person and sending them excerpts from the CA DOJ rules, they still refused to sell. I now refuse to buy from them but I doubt they lose much sleep over it.

C&B and/or muzzle-loaders are NOT considered guns legally in NH. Only centerfire ones are. They can be shipped door-to-door with no FFL but UPS and USPS clerks freak out though if you tell them what's in the box. I pull the wedge, separate the barrel/loading lever assembly and remove the cylinder from the grip frame and just say "machined parts". Shhhhhhhhhhh . . . . don't tell the politicians. It will only confuse them. ^_^

Howdy

Took a while to get an answer to this one. Stopped into one my friendly local gun shops and asked the question. Believe it or not, C&B pistols can be bought in Massachusetts without any sort of permit or license at all. But you will need a permit to buy powder, caps, and balls.

Thanks much for your answers ..

They help a lot. Definitely surprised about Tennessee!

I've never had to go through an FFL to get a C&B pistol shipped to TN. There ARE, I understand a couple of companies that won't ship direct in TN. but I don't do business with them. All four of the FFLs I use have repeatedly told me that it isn't necessary in my home state and I check with them regularly. :unsure:

Looks like one can't go by what company will or won't ship to an certain state! It seems that just because someone requires it of themselves to ship to an FFL isn't an indication of the real state law... well, back to looking up state laws again!

Archived