SASS Wire Forum

Magazine Tube jam in '73

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

Yesterday in the 5th stage of a 6 stage match, my .357 (using 38 spl) '73 jammed with 8 rounds in the mag tube. Upon completion of the 110 second stage, I inspected the gun at the unloading table. The follower was stuck solid in the mag tube. Even after removing the spring, the rounds couldn't be removed from the front end of the tube because of the stuck follower.

I cleared the gun by pointing it up and levering the eight remaining rounds out letting them feed by gravity. I finished the last stage by borrowing my son's gun. (I was too lazy to go back to the truck to get my spare gun for just one stage.)

When I got home I pulled the mag tube fully expecting it to be clogged with rust. To my surprise there was no rust in the tube and only a light coating of dusty surface rust on the spring. I had cleaned the tube and spring with hot soapy water about 10 years ago when I first got the gun and I guess the sprayed on oil on the unfinished spring had evaporated. In any event rust was NOT the problem. The inside of the mag tube was clean and shiney-bright except for the back end as noted below.

When I got the follower out (using a ramrod), it was solidly coated with powder residue. The back end of the mag tube (closest to the receiver) was also coated for about 3 inches on the inside. This powder residue was thick enough on the follower to bind up in the tube to the point that it took tapping with a ramrod to get it out of the tube.

I don't routinely take the spring and follower out of the tube and clean everything. It's probably been a year or so since a thorough cleaning had been done. Guess I'll have to clean it more often if I want to keep using those wimpy loads! (158 gr RNFP at 750 fps using Titegroup powder.)

Please note that this jam would not have been prevented with a stainless spring, follower or mag tube because it was powder residue build up, not rust, that caused the binding.

That's why it's called "preventative" maintenance. ;)

I learned when a Marlin developed a 'slow feed" condition, where at full tilt boogie, it tried to chop rounds in half now and then. After that I started ritually cleaning the tubes with a cleaning rod and an old bore brush wrapped with steel wool, spun with a low speed drill motor. Then I WAXED the inside of the tube and outside of the follower with paste car wax to limit how much stuff wanted to stick to em.

Howdy Sam, I would start with a thoroughly cleaning the tube, dry then lightly oil.

Next I would install a new S/S follower and spring kit. Several places have them

in stock Brownells, Cowboys & Indians. Me thinks your problems will be solved.

Happy trails

QDG

Write on your todo list: smokeless 73s - clean mag tube every six months

BP 73's - clean mag tube every 2 months or 4 shoots.

And keep the mag tube cap lubed with a good anti-seize, waterproof grease.

Good luck, GJ

I'm just wondering how a stainless mag spring and follower will prevent powder residue buildup in the mag tube? It would certainly be easier than having to clean it every 10 years or so.

I'm just wondering how a stainless mag spring and follower will prevent powder residue buildup in the mag tube? It would certainly be easier than having to clean it every 10 years or so.

They don't. They just help prevent rust.

Archived