folk.

http://www.lautenberg.senate.gov/newsroom/record.cfm?id=341435

Please note how Lautenberg and the media have now renamed Black Powder and

Smokeless Powder as EXPLOSIVES.

The propaganda war has begun. This is no oversight or mistake. The

uninitiated may not know the differences between

BP and SP, but everybody knows what an explosive is. This is another way

the left attempts to utilize slight of hand

tricks to stack the deck in their favor.

Urgent FYI - Bill being introduced to further regulate black powder and

smokeless gunpowder. Check it out and contact your Senators and Congress

folk.

I though black powder has always been classified as an explosive??

As far as I knew, black powder was always classed as an explosive, with smokeless classified as a propellent. Black subs I'm not sure about. It also stated that it was going to be added as an admenment to the bill I thought I heard Reid had pulled after the background checks and ASW failed.

Did ya look at the smoke? Did ya see the black fouling on the remains of the pressure cooker. i can pretty much tell ya this was not a "modern" explosive used in Boston. That said, far more people will likely be killed by mistakenly drinking toilet bowl cleaner or over-filling a tire with air than by BP in a given time period. But them elected sheeple herders gotta earn their keep...... :angry:

folk.

Smokeless powder is classified as a PROPELLANT, which they would know if politicians actually knew anything about guns and the shooting sports. But with them, it's knee-jerk reactionaryism first, and thinking, if any of them are capable of it, comes much later.

folk.

Hate to burst your bubble bud but both Black Powder (Hazard Classification Code :1.1D) and Smokeless Powder (Hazard Classification Code 1.3C) are explosives and every country in the world that is a member nation of the UN classifies it as explosives also.

Black powder is classified as C/D 1.1D (Mass Blast), the same as C4 and other similar explosives. The "D" is the compatibility group, meaning what it can be stored with.

Smokeless powders are classified as, typically, division 1.3 explosives under the UN Recommendations on the transportation of Dangerous goods – Model Regulations, regional regulations (such as ADR) and national regulations (such the United States' ATF). However, they are used as solid propellants; in normal use, they undergo deflagration rather than detonation. (from Wikipedia)

I was an explosive safety inspector in the ND Air Guard and this lines up with AFMAN 91-201, the Air Force Explosive Safety Manual.

It didn't take long for the knee-jerk reactions to take place. Unfortunately, the panic buying will begin and just maybe, the panic buyers are the smart ones here. Bernie

Current law does not require an individual to produce a permit, identification

or undergo a background check when purchasing up to fifty pounds

of black powder.

Pure BS ... in NJ one has to produce their FID card or driver's license to purchase any type of powder. And for black powder, one is limited to purchase a 2 lbs limit for each purchase

Between Lautenberg and State Senator Loretta Weiberg, who sponsored the NJ Personalized Handgun Law - 2 of the worst anti's next to NYC Mayor Blumberg and NY Governor Cumeo!

NJ is classed as 'another state' and meaningless in this conversation. In the US one can order up to case lots, literally shipped to ones door with little more than the payment of goods plus shipping plus hazmat. Makes for a great way to group purchase when in clubs with several black powder shooters.

I am not sure of the pressure cooker bombs as black powder does not normally require compression, a loose pile can be detonated but smokeless does require pressure. I would have thought that pressure cookers would not allow enough pressure for smokeless to reach detonation though??? I am sure there are lessons to be forthcoming. It is a shame that all people do not realize that with knowledge comes responsibility!

Pure BS ... in NJ one has to produce their FID card or driver's license to purchase any type of powder. And for black powder, one is limited to purchase a 2 lbs limit for each purchase

Between Lautenberg and State Senator Loretta Weiberg, who sponsored the NJ Personalized Handgun Law - 2 of the worst anti's next to NYC Mayor Blumberg and NY Governor Cumeo!

JB, believe it or not. But in PRK, no permit at all to order or receive BP or smokeless.

LG

Black powder was the first thing I thought when I saw the explosion on TV. However, the one eyewitness I heard on TV just one time, described the smell as "sickly sweet". That doesn't sound like any BP I've ever shot. I have zero experience with the later described "military grade explosives" so I have no idea what they smell like, or what the smoke looks like other than videos from engagements in the middle east.

JB, believe it or not. But in PRK, no permit at all to order or receive BP or smokeless.

LG

Yeah, but you can only get 50 pounds at a time. Is kind of nice when the Big Brown Truck pulls up with two cases, though.

But, hey! If you aren't doing anything wrong, why should you object to permits and ID checks? What do you have to hide? ;)

I can hear it now

"Explosives are weapons of war and dont belong on our streets...yada yada yada"

LG

Yes, but there are limits on the amount of smokeless and black powder one can keep on premises. It may even require a permit from the County Fire Marshal.

Black powder was the first thing I thought when I saw the explosion on TV. However, the one eyewitness I heard on TV just one time, described the smell as "sickly sweet". That doesn't sound like any BP I've ever shot. I have zero experience with the later described "military grade explosives" so I have no idea what they smell like, or what the smoke looks like other than videos from engagements in the middle east.

The only thing that I've ever described a "sickly sweet", was blood

50 lbs of BP, is all that is allowed on 'common carrier'(ups, FedX etc.)at one time.

LA County follows Fed regs. 25lbs of BP is OK.

NO permit needed......Or should there be ;)

What's really weird is that in the can, in the shipping carton, if you have over a certain amount you have to have it in a bunker, blah, blah, blah. If you roll it in foil, as for cannon charges, then it becomes ammunition and the requirements for storage pretty much go away.

I'm afraid the sicky sweet smell did not come from any explosive. I imagine any combat vet who would have been at the scene would have been able to identify it.

A cannon is not 'small arms'. ;)

So yeah, the rules are not the same.

LG

Yeah, but a 25 pound case of GOEX Fg is a 25 pound case of GOEX Fg, no matter what you stuff it in. In the can, you need a bunker for storage. In a cartridge, either BP Metallic Cartridge or heavy duty aluminum foil home rolled or paper cartridges for rifle muskets, it becomes ammunition and you don't need the bunker.

Yeah, but a 25 pound case of GOEX Fg is a 25 pound case of GOEX Fg, no matter what you stuff it in. In the can, you need a bunker for storage. In a cartridge, either BP Metallic Cartridge or heavy duty aluminum foil home rolled or paper cartridges for rifle muskets, it becomes ammunition and you don't need the bunker.

Don't need no 'bunker'.......Me's got da 'hole' desert...... :lol::lol:

LG

Lautenberg doesn't care what kind of explosive was used in Boston. He has no interest in facts, he is simply using Boston in an attempt to ram through more legislation to screw over gunowners and make our lives more difficult.

Fortunately the senile old fool isn't running for re-election.

News last night had an BATFE guy describe the bombs as "nitrate and ammonia" explosives. I don't know if he had direct knowledge or was making an educated guess... I was on concentrating on my reloading.

Archived