SASS Wire Forum

Gun laws in Mass. and the bombing suspects..

Doc Cherokee, SASS#48332

Something that occured to me this morning after hearing the two bombing suspects were armed..

I have been to MA. only once, and even then it was only passing through a tiny corner of the state on my way to Vermont around 1989..But I distinctly remember a sign at the state line warning that "Anyone caught with a handgun in the state of MA. will be prosecuted" and went on to detail the fine and amount of prison time one could receive..I remember it being a real eye-opener- Sort of a "Moment of clarity" for me as growing up in the south I wasn't aware up until that time states could do that, in my blissful ignorance I thought the 2nd amendment didn't allow for that sort of thing..When I said something to my traveling companions about it they replied "Hey man, you're in Kennedy country now!"

Is that still the case up there? I know we have some SASS Pards living in the state so I'm assuming they have to go through the wringer in order to own pistolos..I would like to hear what they have to say about the current laws..Anyway, although I don't know what the current laws are up there I'm under the impression they DO have some of the toughest gun laws in the country..So how did a couple of young Russians who probably aren't even U.S. citizens manage to get their hands on firearms?

With all the hullaballoo about passing "tougher gun laws" it seems relevant, and certainly something to consider.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, I just wish more of the anti-gun crowd would wake up and smell the bacon burning.. <_<

So how did a couple of young Russians who probably aren't even U.S. citizens manage to get their hands on firearms?

I believe the older brother was an LPR (Legal Permanent Resident), who are really citizens-in-waiting. They have pretty-much all the rights of citizens except for voting. LPR status is the last step before naturalization.

The police have not mentioned what firearms the two brothers had, but in MA:

TYPES OF FIREARMS LICENSES

•CLASS “A” LTC: Permits the purchase, possession and carrying of all ammunition, handguns, rifles, shotguns and feeding devices (both large* and non-large capacity). This is the only license that allows the carrying of concealed handguns-either loaded or unloaded.

• CLASS “B” LTC: Permits the purchase, possession and carrying of all ammunition, non-large capacity handguns, and all rifles and shotguns (large* and non-large capacity).

•FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD (FID): Permits the purchase, possession and carrying of non-large capacity rifles, shotguns and ammunition only. Restricted FIDs are also available

solely for the possession of mace or pepper spray. Applicants for the restricted FID are exempt from the education requirement.

And MA dealers do check for ammo purchases and it is entirely up to the issueing authority on whether you get a LTC-A or LTC-B. I do not believe there is an appeal process if you do not get the LTC-A you applied for and have to settle for a LTC-B

Doc:

Latest report today - Suspect #2 became a naturalized US citizen last September. Don't know about #1.

MA has a statutory scheme re gun ownership. You need one of three available permits to buy/own/carry/transport firearms, ammunition or components. There are three available types:

A Class A permit is a LTC. It allows the holder to purchase any approved firearm, including so-called "large capacity" firearms (although post-ban magazines over 10 rounds are not legal). It allows concealed carry. It allows purchase, use and transport of long guns. Except for concealed carry, guns must be unloaded and in locked containers for transport. It allows the purchase of ammo and reloading components. MA is NOT a Shall issue state; Class A permits are issued at the discretion of your local chief of police.

A Class B permit allows purchase and unloaded transport of non-large capacity guns and ammo/components. No concealed carry or loaded carry is permitted.

A Firearms ID Card is the lowest level; it permits ownership and unloaded transport of rifles and shotguns and ammo/components.

Possession of a firearm without the proper permit is a felony with a minimum one year prison term; possession of ammo or components without a permit is also a felony.

So, to answer your question - how could they get guns?

They may have applied for and received an appropriate permit, and made the purchases legally (I doubt it).

They may have stolen them.

They may have bought them from someone who stole them, or from someone who was unconcerned with the legal requirements of a private sale.

LL

Geez Chantry....I need to learn to type faster. :P

I think we got it covered, though.

LL

That's why I beat you, I copied and pasted! :P

Thanks for the relies Pards..

It now seems they were citizens..When I posted yesterday I had only watched the early morning news and they had reported then the brothers had been in the states 1+ years..I guess they changed the story as they got more info.

Silly media..They should get their facts straight before reporting- But then maybe so should I! :blush:

And I've wondered from time to time about the gun laws in MA. after seeing that sign way back then..The sign itself was worded a bit differently than I posted of course, but that was a long time ago..I DO remember the "one year in prison" part..The main thing I remember was my shock and surprise that any state could restrict our rights as far as gun ownership..Like I said, I had never seen anything like that up until that time..The "end of my innocence" I suppose..I had just naively assumed that if a person wasn't a criminal they could legally carry a gun anywhere they wanted to as long as it was within the U.S. borders..Of course I was wrong..

And of course..That was also when I realized it would be a very wise thing to check the gun laws in any state I would be planning on traveling through in the future!

Now after reading the posts about the laws and various permits required ..I'm assuming that under current MA. law a non-resident traveling through the state with firearms is fair game as far as possible prosecution?

But again, my main point was that it's one of the states with very strict gun laws, and it didn't keep any of this from happening..Something that should be quite noteworthy in the ongoing "national conversation" about gun laws..Not that the anti's are going to be willing to listen to facts or any reasonable arguments that go against their agenda..

In any case, glad to hear they got the second guy with no further loss of life..Kudos to the LEOs for getting him alive, although it wouldn't have bothered me much if it had gone the other way..Maybe now we can at least find out what their motivation was.

Imagine all the unarmed citizens who were locked down in their homes, while the search was ongoing for the second suspect in their neighborhood..

I wonder how many of them wished they had a firearm to protect their family with?

I wonder how many of them wished they had a firearm to protect their family with?

I wondered the same thing..But then I watched an interview with a lady that lived in Watertown, and she was saying they moved there in the first place "because of the security there"..I took it she meant because of the low percentage of gun owners living there, but it's quite possible she meant something totally different..

I've met people who are quite proud of the fact they don't own a gun, don't want one and would never use one, even if themselves or their family's lives were in danger..Personally I don't get it, but they are out there..I guess I just wasn't cut out to be a pacifist.. :huh:

Did ya'll notice the absence of reporting on what kind of firearms the two nut bags had? Sure, the anti-gunners can't complain about too lax gun laws. Mass. is one of the strictest states on guns. The boxes from Glock, Sig, S&W etc. that are marked DO NOT SHIP TO MA. CAL. OR NJ.

The media is sooooo predictable! :blink:

Rye :ph34r:

Did ya'll notice the absence of reporting on what kind of firearms the two nut bags had? Sure, the anti-gunners can't complain about too lax gun laws. Mass. is one of the strictest states on guns. The boxes from Glock, Sig, S&W etc. that are marked DO NOT SHIP TO MA. CAL. OR NJ.

The media is sooooo predictable! :blink:

Rye :ph34r:

No info on the guns yet. The Chief of Police didn't know what type of long gun they had as of this morning when interviewd by Wolf "Blitzed Out" Blitzer. No matter the origin of the guns. NRA will get the blame.

I wondered the same thing..But then I watched an interview with a lady that lived in Watertown, and she was saying they moved there in the first place "because of the security there"..I took it she meant because of the low percentage of gun owners living there, but it's quite possible she meant something totally different..

I've met people who are quite proud of the fact they don't own a gun, don't want one and would never use one, even if themselves or their family's lives were in danger..Personally I don't get it, but they are out there..I guess I just wasn't cut out to be a pacifist.. :huh:

What they're really saying, I think, is that there are plenty of people around who will protect them, so they don't have to worry about it.

Holly Crap

A Class A permit is a LTC. It allows the holder to purchase any approved firearm, including so-called "large capacity" firearms (although post-ban magazines over 10 rounds are not legal). It allows concealed carry. It allows purchase, use and transport of long guns. Except for concealed carry, guns must be unloaded and in locked containers for transport. It allows the purchase of ammo and reloading components. MA is NOT a Shall issue state; Class A permits are issued at the discretion of your local chief of police.

All I need is the asking price for ammo, or any gun. Yes, I do have to pay to Concealed carry!

Ofcoarse our Governor as a license to carry too and to get into the Capitol building those with a CHL get to enter through the short line with No screaning.........

I can't imagine living under that type of state interference with my rights.......

I believe the older brother was an LPR (Legal Permanent Resident), who are really citizens-in-waiting. They have pretty-much all the rights of citizens except for voting. LPR status is the last step before naturalization.

Correction: Younger brother is a citizen. Older brother was an LPR whose application for citizenship had been delayed for further investigation, because of a Russian inquiry into his activities and a recent trip to Russia/Chechnya.

.The sign itself was worded a bit differently than I posted of course,

but that was a long time ago..I DO remember the "one year in prison"

part.

Howdy

The signs you are referring to were the result of the Bartley-Fox Law which took effect on April 1, 1975. The Bartley-Fox law said that any conviction involving firearms would result in a jail term of at least one year, there would be no exceptions. At the time signs were put up on all the highways at the state border advertising this fact to those entering the state. The signs were up for quite a few years. The Bartley-Fox signs were removed some time ago, but the law was never repealed.

I have never seen a sign on a firearm box saying do not ship to MA. The facts are bad enough without exaggerating.

Guest Texas Jack Black

I do believe all states have penalties for committing a crime with a firearm, not just Mass. Yes Mass. has some strict gun laws most states have something that we can complain about even good old Texas.

A couple of nights back, CBS news had a segment where they identified the gun used as a Ruger semi auto in 9mm.

They also stated that the serial number had been obliterated.

This ABC news article from yesterday states the same info and also doesn't include a model number.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/single-gun-recovered-accused-boston-bombers/story?id=19028841#.UXmCJtH677A

This ABC news article from yesterday states the same info and also doesn't include a model number.

Give them credit for knowing it's a gun, let alone the make and caliber.

Archived