SASS Wire Forum

Why is the dress code not enforced

Two Gun Montana

On page 24 0f the shooter Handbook in the OUTLAWED section states "The use or presence of any outlawed item is a Stage Disqualification". among the items listed as outlawed Short sleeve shirts(Male Competitors Only) and Short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors. My question is why is the overall winner of the SASS Michigan State Championship a, as shown 0n page 36 of the April Chronicle wearing a short sleeve shirt when according he should have been disqualified for each stage while wearing this shirt.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've wondered if long sleeves, pushed or rolled up, were "legal" I'm not talking about Texas in July, when its so durn hot some dress rules, especially at monthly matches should and are relaxed for shooter safety. I've seen pictures where guys had their sleeves rolled up to mid bicep at a march shoot. almost seemed like a SOG thing to me.

I guess its a good thing Bill Clinton isnt a SASS cowboy, then we would be answering "how long is a long sleeve......."

i've wondered if long sleeves, pushed or rolled up, were "legal" I'm not talking about Texas in July, when its so durn hot some dress rules, especially at monthly matches should and are relaxed for shooter safety. I've seen pictures where guys had their sleeves rolled up to mid bicep at a march shoot. almost seemed like a SOG thing to me.

I guess its a good thing Bill Clinton isnt a SASS cowboy, then we would be answering "how long is a long sleeve......."

Hi Hoss,

It is legal.

Beware, this may turn into one of "those" topics that can result in strong words.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Looking at the clock to see how long it takes before...

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Actually that is a long sleeve shirt. He can't help it that his arms are 'bout a coupla feet longer than a normal person.

ts

I'm somewhat sure SOG applies to how a competitor shoots a stage. If he tries to "game" it in such a way as to gain a competetive advantage THAT is a Spirit of the Game penalty. I don't see rolled up sleeves fitting this description.

(But I've been wrong before.)

In fact, that's the argument for "Why can't we wear short-sleeved shirts during the hot & humid Summer matches".

Answer -- Roll up yer sleeves.

By the way, Campo Kid is one of the nicest young men you will every meet.

--DAwg

SOG does not apply!

..........Widder

I didnt say it was a SOG thing, I said seemed like almost. I just was thinkin out loud....or in this case thru my fingers..... maybe "spirit of the intent of the rules" instread of SOG. I dont want to start a firestorm here. I had a legitimate question, I saw a guy with his sleeves rolled up last month, and it just made me wonder, thats all. As for me, unless it is a summertime match when our club plainly says short sleeves or shorts are allowed, i'm gonna wear my sleeves down. Others can do as they wish. (we have, as many clubs do, a Hawiian theme shoot in the summertime. I may wear a grass skirt and a couple of coconuts to that one!)

Spirit of the Game?????????? Really???????? The photo in question is of Campo Kid. First and foremost it's a henley shirt with the sleeves pushed and rolled up, perfectly legal. Secondly I wish we had a thousand kids just like him in SASS right now. You won't find a harder worker on a posse nor a more upright competitor in the game. He works his tail off and pays for all of his own guns and gear and always has. He does not have a ton of cash laying around so he chooses to spend what he has on match fees and reloading components instead of fancy clothes. If you are lucky you will meet him someday. In case you are wondering you hit a nerve.

Spirit of the Game?????????? Really???????? The photo in question is of Campo Kid. First and foremost it's a henley shirt with the sleeves pushed and rolled up, perfectly legal. Secondly I wish we had a thousand kids just like him in SASS right now. You won't find a harder worker on a posse nor a more upright competitor in the game. He works his tail off and pays for all of his own guns and gear and always has. He does not have a ton of cash laying around so he chooses to spend what he has on match fees and reloading components instead of fancy clothes. If you are lucky you will meet him someday. In case you are wondering you hit a nerve.

My sincere appology to Campo Kid, certainly was not directed at him, or anyone in particular. Per my above post, that was simaltaneous to yours, I hope I cleared that up.

As soon as it's not freezing.. my sleeves go up.. don't like them interfering with my pistols.. just like a work.. don't like those sleeves interfering with my keyboard..

It's funny that as part of an effort to reduce verbiage, the "...roll 'em up if you're hot..." (or something like that) is not in the current handbook. Even though that language is not in the current handbook, the practice is, and has always has been, legal.

Two Gun Montana-are you snowed in and bored? Why would you assume that Deuce Stevens and the organizers of one of the best state shoots in the country don't know or enforce the rules.

Hoss Roonwright-Wow! After jumping in on another thread and suggesting that someone be "severely disciplined" for "coming close" to a 170 violation, I would think you would be licking your wounds and a little gunshy right now. Guess not. I suspect you are a great guy and are letting your enthusiasm for the sport get the better of you. You MIGHT want to read the handbooks, read more posts and post less for a while. All I, and a lot of other folks, know about you is what you post on the Wire-I'm sure that you're a better guy than tat.

I count Deuce, RJ Law and Campo Kid amongst my friends and, yeah, you guys touched a nerve with me, too.

Hoss, rather than apologies and retractions, NOT posting something unless you're really, REALLY, sure of what you are saying would be better. I do appreciate your willingness to "man-up" though.

Oh I'm gunshy, I guess I'm just not smart.

Ya'll think that cowboys in the Old West didn't roll up their sleeves too? Oh wait they were too stupid and too modest to do that. This is a ridiculous argument! :wacko:

Rye

Haha! Oh man, I don't check the Wire for awhile and this is what I find.

To clarify: The shirt I'm wearing in that picture is in fact a long sleeve Henley with buttons. I just rolled up the sleeves like I always do, people that shoot with me can verify this.

Deuce, Widder, Buffalo Dick and others: Thanks guys. I appreciate ya.

And by the way, no offense taken here. Finding this thread actually made me laugh. I mean, some of you guys must be really bored! lol

Kid

Haha! Oh man, I don't check the Wire for awhile and this is what I find.

. Finding this thread actually made me laugh. I mean, some of you guys must be really bored! lol

Kid

:lol: Classic - and there's a pic of me too at the match with my sleeves rolled up ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My oh MY OH MY ...déjà vu of the early era of the SASS Wire about Lead Dispencer with his sleeves rolled up holding trophies. The hissyfit posts ran for days on end blasting his rolled up sleeves because he was the First One!

I think I'm seeing a trend here, rolled up sleeves = winning matches.

Now I know what I need to do, I need to get some shirts made with sleeves big enough that I can roll them up! Then I'll be winning matches! :D

I think I'm seeing a trend here, rolled up sleeves = winning matches.

Now I know what I need to do, I need to get some shirts made with sleeves big enough that I can roll them up! Then I'll be winning matches! :D

I've tried rollin the sleeves up....it doesn't work for me....but I am cooler when it's hot out.

KK

On page 24 0f the shooter Handbook in the OUTLAWED section states "The use or presence of any outlawed item is a Stage Disqualification". among the items listed as outlawed Short sleeve shirts(Male Competitors Only) and Short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors. My question is why is the overall winner of the SASS Michigan State Championship a, as shown 0n page 36 of the April Chronicle wearing a short sleeve shirt when according he should have been disqualified for each stage while wearing this shirt.

Why do you think it wasn't allowed? :rolleyes:

Picture clearly shows his shirt is well within the rules. ;)

LG

I saw a guy at EOT with NO Sleeves at all...............

Yep, no shirt, no shoes, no boots, just a pair of bibs and a stove top hat. Dang good shooter too ;) No one name really comes to mind :huh::lol:

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I didnt say it was a SOG thing, I said seemed like almost. I just was thinkin out loud....or in this case thru my fingers..... maybe "spirit of the intent of the rules" instread of SOG. I dont want to start a firestorm here. I had a legitimate question, I saw a guy with his sleeves rolled up last month, and it just made me wonder, thats all. As for me, unless it is a summertime match when our club plainly says short sleeves or shorts are allowed, i'm gonna wear my sleeves down. Others can do as they wish. (we have, as many clubs do, a Hawiian theme shoot in the summertime. I may wear a grass skirt and a couple of coconuts to that one!)

Why would rolled up long sleeves be illegal, why would you wonder that? I suppose you think folks shooting B Western should not roll up ther jeans like John Wayne did in his movies?

Archived