SASS Wire Forum

NRA helping bombers?

Rye Miles #13621

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/msnbc-nra-business-helping-bombers-get-away-their-crimes_718001.html

Or is this true??? Hey Wire gunpowder experts. weigh in on this please!

Compare the powder taggant thing to the "fired shell" tracing idea. All that happened with the fired shell record data is that a multimillion dollar agency has been created that to this day, to my knowledge, has not solved one crime.

Just the view from my saddle,

Blackfoot

Old news; they looked into this years ago and the MANUFACTURERS determined that adding taggants to gunpowder and some explosives changes the burning rates and/or made them unstable which is why it never caught on.

Their idea to 'tag' gunpowder' which would immediately offer a suspect is flawed; any idea how many one pound cans you get out of a batch of powder? A lot! It would work no better than the fired case ID scam, or the microstamping on bullets and cases by the gun or the electronic gun that can only be fired by one user....ALL were dismal failures.

It is my understanding that there are now taggants in all smokeless powders produced for and sold in the US. (This tracing technique was debated in the late '90s and slowly introduced since, from what I have read.) I do know that there are several examples of identification elements being added or changed in the recent past. An example, Red Dot powder. The red dots are no longer colored dots of gunpowder, as they were in the 70s and 80s. They are small squares of what appear to be plastic, and are supposed to be encoded with the lot number of the powder. The tag is engineered to not combust completely when fired.

And, as Blackfoot mentioned, there are no reported instances of these taggants materially assisting with the solving of a crime. Perhaps they have been used and the results not touted,but I would think they would beat the drum if this had helped in a big way.

Good luck, GJ

PS -

As for the technology not being able to be incorporated into powder due to effecting the internal ballistics, consider that all civilian commercial explosives in the US are known to be microtagged now.

Here's a major company producing such high-temperature, chemically-inert taggants: http://microtracesolutions.com/

As for the claim: "Gunpowder could be traced by investigators to a buyer at the point of sale if gunpowder contained a taggant"

that is baloney. The taggant technology is extremely expensive to change per container of powder. It can be changed pretty cheaply per lot of powder, which means there would be thousands of pounds from a lot all labeled the same.

Bombs:

Go to Google. Lots of recipes for homemade bombs. Some are just cute some are not. Most are a lot cheaper then a pound of powder.

Peroxide, acetone, sulfuric acid? Terrorist bomb of choice.

I did notice that there is no charcoal sulfur residue on the aluminum of the pressure cookers which would rule out black powder.

I do not want to sound flippant, but evil people will always do evil things.

If the batteries used to make the bomb were marked with a serial number, then we could easily track down the perp.

If the pressure cooker has a serial number, then we could track down the perp.

But at what point do we give all our freedoms away in the name of security, even if it is just a false sense of security?

Do we give up the fourth ammendment and allow police to search anyone, anywhere, for any thing without a warrant?

Do we give up the second ammendment and just trust that the man will be there to protect everyone at all times?

Do we give up the first ammendment to ban newpapers and other media from stirring up the people? Do we also ban people from speaking out against what the government thinks is good for us to think and forces us to do all because it may lead someone to a terrorist action?

Do we give up the fifth and sixth or eigth ammendments and allow anyone suspected of possibly being a threat to someone else to be locked away without a proper trial?

As a people, how much are we willing to give away?

I get it. Going after the NRA and the propellant is an easy target. But making black powder is relatively not that hard.

Nor is making other chemical explosives, ie Oklahoma City.

When will we all realize that evil people will find a way to do evil things no matter if the powder had a taggant in it or not.

And just because the powder had a taggant in it does not mean that we would immediatly find the perp. If you were an evil person, how hard would it be to shoplift powder from your local sporting goods store? How hard would it be to hand a 20 to a kid and tell him to go in and buy you a can of powder. The current shortages not taken into account.

Just like you can't fix stupid, sadly, there is nothing that we can do to truly stop evil people determined to do evil things.

I admit, I am summarizing someone else now for the following...

We can enact all kinds of laws to make the the masses of sheep feel good thile they graze in the field. But it is a false sense of security. The sheep just does not want to recognize that. Because they are, after all, only sheep.

But us sheep dogs know that there is always a wolf out there who is hungry and will not stop until he has mutton on the table.

Sheep don't like wolves, but they really hate sheep dogs. If only because a sheep dog protecting the flock is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the world.

And while you can neuter a sheep dog or make it to where he no longer wants to or is able to protect the flock, there is nothing, short of eradication, that will take the killer instinct out of the wolf.

I just saw a report that says they found 2 unexploded bombs. The composition of the explosives should be relatively easy to determine, even for the governmental types.

Yep tagging the pressure Cooker would work as well as tagging the powder ,,,,,,,, let's see the presure cooker was given to "Joe & Sally in 1919 Wedding present,,,,,,,,, in 1943 June the daughter was given it by Mom ,,,,, June gave it to her Daughter-inlaw in 1968,,,, Who gave it to Cousin Jim,,, in 1972 he needed money Not "junk" so he sold it in a Yard sale in 1974,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sue bought it gave it to her Daughter-inlaw,,,,,,,,, She hated to cook sold it at a flee market in 1975 ,,,,,,,,,, John bought it moved from CT. to Texas in 1975 sold it in a yard sale in 1976 to Trever who gave it his wife ,,, She split with him in 1976 (hated the presure cooker & him ) move tha Alaska and gave the pressure cooker to a trapper ,,,, on his death in 1999 his family takes it back to Washington and uses it till 2008 when it is given to a nieghbour ,,, she leaves the Man moves to Florida taking the Pot with her ,,,,

in 2011 she sells it at a yard sale .... The guy buying it for his daughter ,,,, She not wanting it gives it to "Goodwill" they sell it to a stranger "Cash Sale" to Attilla Hamahs Obamha ,,,,,, Who builds a bomb ,,,, gives it to a young kid that blows-up a bunch of inocent people ......

Trace that !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Yep tagging the pressure Cooker would work as well as tagging the powder ,,,,,,,, let's see the presure cooker was given to "Joe & Sally in 1919 Wedding present,,,,,,,,, in 1943 June the daughter was given it by Mom ,,,,, June gave it to her Daughter-inlaw in 1968,,,, Who gave it to Cousin Jim,,, in 1972 he needed money Not "junk" so he sold it in a Yard sale in 1974,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sue bought it gave it to her Daughter-inlaw,,,,,,,,, She hated to cook sold it at a flee market in 1975 ,,,,,,,,,, John bought it moved from CT. to Texas in 1975 sold it in a yard sale in 1976 to Trever who gave it his wife ,,, She split with him in 1976 (hated the presure cooker & him ) move tha Alaska and gave the pressure cooker to a trapper ,,,, on his death in 1999 his family takes it back to Washington and uses it till 2008 when it is given to a nieghbour ,,, she leaves the Man moves to Florida taking the Pot with her ,,,,

in 2011 she sells it at a yard sale .... The guy buying it for his daughter ,,,, She not wanting it gives it to "Goodwill" they sell it to a stranger "Cash Sale" to Attilla Hamahs Obamha ,,,,,, Who builds a bomb ,,,, gives it to a young kid that blows-up a bunch of inocent people ......

Trace that !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Good job! I was wondering who was going to solve the puzzle! Now I can rest easy. ;)

Wow the'll let anyone rant on the internet these days.

Archived