SASS Wire Forum

Loading gate for Uberti 1866

Hoss

Mine broke, I've seen several available on line, from 16.00 to 60.00. My serial # starts with a W, I think I need the "large screw" type. Any opinions/advise?

Call VTI. They will walk you through selecting the right replacement. Then JB Weld or solder a gusset behind the thin right-angle shell stop section to keep the new one from breaking.

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/

Good luck, GJ

No matter what loading gate you buy... Heavy duty or whatever..

Do what every post on this thread has recommended.. reinforce it..

It will last.. well forever is a long time.. but mine has lasted 9 years

I put in 3 other non reinforced loading gates.. heavy duty.. they all broke again..

buy the cheapest and reinforce it.. it will work..

Make sure your carrier clears your reinforcement when cycling..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' "Been there.. done that

I bought my 1866 just after series of posts on the Wire about the ladle breaking. I took the part out of my new gun and did the JB Weld re-enforcement. Still running after several years.

Bought one from VTI. Got the aftermarket model, not the Uberti part. Lady told me they had only had one of the aftermarket ones break in 10 years of selling them. Wonder if thats because everybody re-enforces the part???

Thanks for all of the advice, I should have the part in early next week, will do the JB weld trick on it.

Call VTI. They will walk you through selecting the right replacement. Then JB Weld or solder a gusset behind the thin right-angle shell stop section to keep the new one from breaking.

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/

Good luck, GJ

+1

That's what I did and I did the J Weld.

Never had a problem after that.

Frenchy

Speaking of 1866 loading gates, file this under Murphy's law. At Smoke in the Woods a couple of weeks ago first stage, picked up rifle and fired off 5 shots then rifle locked up. At the unloading table I discovered a round

was jammed in the receiver where the links are. I thought tab had broke off but no!!! the screw holding the loading gate had come loose about 3/4 turn and had allowed it to move enough so it did not stop the cartridge

as it should. GRRRRR! Tightened the screw and finished the 2 day match without a hitch with the rifle. When I got home I put some blue locktite on the threads and tighened it back up. So if something can go wrong

it will go wrong! The lesson is check everything you can think of before going to a match. I knew the lesson but forgot, must be old age sneaking up.

Charlie

The tab was broken clean off the top one, so I made a new piece with a large footprint and silver soldered it on. So far, so good. The bottom one has a piece soldered onto the tab, then filled with JB Weld. Be careful with heat on this piece as it's a flat spring and ya don't want to get the other end too hot. I wrapped the end in material called Cerawool soaked in water for a heat sink, but any natural cotton or wool fabric should work fine.

1866Ladles001-1.jpg

Archived