SASS Wire Forum

California Looking to ban Semi-Auto Rifles

Waimea

Yeah, that was part of a whole honeypot full of crap that the progressives in the CA legislature introduced not long ago. See:

http://www.calguns.net/

One bright spot: http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?year=2013&summary=ab760

Latest Info: 04/15/2013 -
Good News! AB 760 5-CENTS PER BULLET TAX has been moved to the suspense file in the Assembly Revenue and Tax committee.
This indicates that the bill is suspended from further committee action, at least temporarily.

Hasn't gone away, and it can be instantly brought back out of the suspense file. Or maybe used as the filler on a "gut and amend" shell game.

It's a long, tough fight here. But CA seems to be the proving ground for a lot of stuff that goes national, we don't fight it here, it won't be long before we see it in the Hallowed Halls of Congress.

Yeah, that was part of a whole honeypot full of crap that the progressives in the CA legislature introduced not long ago. See:

One bright spot: http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?year=2013&summary=ab760

Good News! AB 760 5-CENTS PER BULLET TAX has been moved to the suspense file in the Assembly Revenue and Tax committee.

This indicates that the bill is suspended from further committee action, at least temporarily.

Hasn't gone away, and it can be instantly brought back out of the suspense file. Or maybe used as the filler on a "gut and amend" shell game.

It's a long, tough fight here. But CA seems to be the proving ground for a lot of stuff that goes national, we don't fight it here, it won't be long before we see it in the Hallowed Halls of Congress.

He's right fellas. Seen it up close and personal here.

Hope our Cali pards really band togther to defeat this...uh...stuff! Anything us outsiders can do let us know ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

He's right fellas. Seen it up close and personal here.

Thanks, Bob. I just hope that we ARE the front lines, not a rear guard action.

Hope our Cali pards really band togther to defeat this...uh...stuff! Anything us outsiders can do let us know ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

First and foremost, keep us in your prayers that we may have the strength of character to carry on. Second would be to contribute to Calguns or the California Rifle and Pistol Association.

Third is just for our morale, please can all the "Komifornia" "Kalifornia" and such comments and jokes, also the "well, just leave!" and "you voted for 'em" comments. Tough enough fighting it here as is, the "cute" comments and jokes just make it harder for us to keep on keeping on. Almost makes some of us (me, at least) wanna say "F*** it! Let's just sit back and watch as this s*** spreads to other states and the federal level! See how they like it when they have to fight this garbage!"

So where is the NRA :angry:

Can't even get them to return a phone call or Email..........

Same crap they did for Colorado.......NOT 1 DANG THING!

Yeah, I'm PISSED!!

LG

Well, the NRA does some here. Not a lot, I'll grant, but some. But to me it's kind of like holding back the reserve units, or sending them to easily contained actions, rather than sending them to the front where they might really make a difference.

I know, I know, "There is only so much money to go around! We need to use it were we can win!" Well, most of those places the NRA could likely "win" with a half dozen post cards. We need the backing of the NRA, along with GOA, Calguns, and CRPA, to stop stuff here. While we all need to do our individual parts, keeping up on the legislation, badgering our elected representatives constantly about protecting our civil rights, sometimes we need the big guns, with the legal teams, to hammer out a strategy, find test cases, and go after the laws that get passed. Not many of us can afford, on our own, to be a test case. I don't have the hundreds of thousands of dollars to spare. But I'm sure that there are people who have been charged with violations of various gun laws that would be thrilled to have those groups sending lawyers to fight for them.

Maybe in addition to writing to those who represent us in politics we need to start hammering on the NRA and other pro-gun groups to hold them accountable for what they are doing to help. Constantly asking for more, more, more is not an answer in my book.

Then (and I've said it before) get involved in the political game. Nuf said there.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Joe (And all you California Pards),

As hard as it is, and as discouraging as it has been, KEEP UP THE FIGHT! Living in Maryland, I understand first hand what you guys are going through. You all have seen the threads about Maryland and the complete disregard for the Citizens displayed by our legislature. We have watched the "California Creep" infiltrate Maryland until now it seems that our legislature is trying to take the lead role, and they are winning.

As far as the NRA, NRA-ILA, GOA, MSRPA, MSI, all I can say is this year we had visible help. There were representatives at the hearings from the NRA-ILA, MSRPA, and MSI (Maryland Shall Issue) who testified, provided support, provided signs for the rallies, etc. As we all know, this has been an exceptional year in the battle to preserve our Gun Rights and it took everyone by surprise, especially those in previously gun friendly states like Colorado. The NRA et. al. only had a limited time to prepare for these multifaceted battles and limited resources (read that as personnel) to apply. I think that they applied those resources in areas that already had an infrastructure in place to utilize them effectively.

Most of the effort was generated within Maryland. AGC (Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore) and MSI, especially MSI, have been and continue to be, very effective lobbing organizations in Maryland. They already had large databases of pro-gun Maryland residents and provided constant email updates on legislative hearing dates, contact information for the state delegates and senators, set up bulk email services, and kept everyone organized and on point. Over 1.5 Million, yes Million, pro-gun emails were sent to the Maryland Legislature and there are less than 6 million people in the state. Although the NRA and NRA-ILA provided support to that effort in many ways, MSI and AGC did the bulk of the work and, without the infrastructure provided by AGC & MSI, the NRA efforts would have been unnoticed.

Visible support by the NRA & NRA-ILA is not always in our best interest either. I have personally experienced a situation where I was describing CAS to someone who was fascinated with the concept and genuinely interested in trying it, until the NRA got mentioned. Once they heard "NRA", they turned, walked away, and would not speak with me for the rest of the evening. Even today, I am lucky to get a "Hello". What seems to work best is the behind the scenes support of the NRA. Provide information to the locals and help them present their case to the legislature. The legislature needs to know that it is the Citizens, not some organization, that is telling them they are off course!

We didn't win this year, but we were heard. Watching the voting, you could see Senators leaving the chambers, coming back and looking at the tally boards, calculating their position, before they pushed the button, and sometimes changing their votes. Certainly not what they should be doing but that is another issue altogether. Many of them are aware that they are now in serious jeopardy in 2014. That is where we are focusing our efforts, along with legal challenges to the law and a possible referendum.

In the end, the best advice I can give is to buildup and support the state organizations. Get the infrastructure in place to provide a big presence, both electronic, and in person. Look at alternative ways to fight like becoming a DINO and voting out the incumbents in the primary.

Hang In There,

Dogmeat Dad

Thanks, DD. Most of us ARE keeping up the fight. Many of us have watched the "Californiaization" of other states - like MD and tried to warn people there about it.

I'll agree that a highly visible presence of the NRA often isn't a good idea, but the NRA could at least let us know, without being in the headlines, or maybe after a case is finished, "Yeah, we did X, Y, and Z in Silviera, Nordyke, etc."

SJ,

I will admit that this is the first year of the 10+ that I have been fighting this that the NRA was visible here in Maryland. I have wondered if their presence this year was associated with Beretta being located here, but from what I have heard via the MDShooters forum, it was for the reasons stated above. That and the fact that the NRA-ILA person could drive here from their headquarters in an hour!

For many of us in the Blue Zone, the battle was lost before it was started. The enemy was prepared, they had a battle plan, they just needed the GO. Even those of us who fight this battle every year, were caught off guard by the intensity of the attack. All we can do now is prepare for the next assault and we know it is coming. There is already talk within the legislature about adding to the BAN list next year. Thank God, our legislative session in only 90 days long. I pity those with a full time legislature!

Dogmeat (Deep Under Cover In The Blue Zone :ph34r: ) Dad

NRA is pick'n their fights is total and complete HOGWASH.......

Look how much in OUR dues was pissed away on that NASCAR joke.

What we do need from the NRA, is some REAL leadership....Neither of which we have had since Heston or Foss.

Not say'n any more, don't want Dan and Allie beat'n me with a whip, again. :lol::lol:

LG

Archived