SASS Wire Forum

Occupation?

Hoss

I develop training courses for printer service techs at a large printer company. Recently started my own business as a firearms instructor. On the side I volunteer with a local police department.

In my spare time, I shoot and dream of retiring!

GW

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Retired school teacher. Still teach part-time to supplement retirement so we can still have nice cars, eat out every once in a while, buy guns, and go shooting.

MM, four of us Radiomen from the USS Guam (LPH-9), lived in a little house on Guam St for two years whilst we was homeported at Norfolk in the early '70's.

Along with being retired from the Navy, I work as a maintenance supervisor/process engineer at a fire proof cabinet and safe plant.

Sierra Sue works in hospital administration at a small local hospital.

JW

I'm a products liability defense lawyer - primarily the investigation and trial of cases involving fires, explosions and other catastrophic losses.

In high school, the guidance counselor, after intensive testing and analysis, advised my folks that I should become a plumber. I guess I just failed to live up to my true aptitudes.

LL

so, what do you do to support your CAS habit?

I'm operations manager for a towboat/barge company. We operate boats and barges on the Gulf coast, primarily between Lake Charles LA and Brownsville Texas.

(but dont tell my mother I'm in the towboat business, she thinks I play the piano in a whorehouse :) )

We have a towboat/barge company bring us barges on the Mississippi River in the spring thru early winter months..........

Wish I had met up with ya sooner Pard !

I just work....work outside.......in the bone chilling cold.........and the summer heat in execs of 100 degrees ........

You two know Mike Fink,,,,he is or was a tug capt.....

pb

You two know Mike Fink,,,,he is or was a tug capt.....

pb

Nope.....Pruty Boy......never had da pleasure.

I work in a family owned/managed company where we deisgn, manufacture and market seating for vehicles with wheels or tracks, other than automobiles. A fancy way of saying an upholstery shop that builds seats for any kind of ground based vehicle except cars. I work with some really great people. They let me play with metal fabrication equipment (lasers, stamping presses, tube benders, robotic welders, manual welders) sewing machines, powder paint line, foam pad molding, and all kinds of assembly tools. They supervise me pretty well so I don't hurt myself. In my spare time I herd grandkids, pit crew my son's stock car but mostly I look forward to weekends where I can put my feet up, grab a cold beer or 6 and smoke a cigar on the pier.

so, what do you do to support your CAS habit?

I'm operations manager for a towboat/barge company. We operate boats and barges on the Gulf coast, primarily between Lake Charles LA and Brownsville Texas.

(but dont tell my mother I'm in the towboat business, she thinks I play the piano in a whorehouse :) )

Interesting. My parents were in the towboat industry for years. Brent Towing and Port City Barge Lines both based out of Greenville, Ms. I worked on them and around them in high school and college.

Oh, I'm a Manufacturing Engineering for a large aircraft company in Seattle.

Seems like just bout ever one has good payin' job cept me ! (SIGH) ! ;):lol:

You really don't think I'm getting rich working for the school system.......yeah right!

Seems like just bout ever one has good payin' job cept me ! (SIGH) ! ;):lol:

Hawk, I'm self employed and the money is not bad but it's certainly not a "good payin' job". No benefits, no retirement ( I'll do this until I can't do it anymore) and no real security. One good thing is my boss treats me very well :D It's not about how much money you make it's how you live within your means!

Rye ;)

MT, Mike Fink is a TUG boat capt, :o ,,,,,ie the IS, not WAS as in mark twain.... :P:P

pb :D

Grizz, Miss Allie and Tyrel

I too was once a computer programmer, then my career led me to being a DBA (wished for years I had stuck to programming).

Now I design and develop websites.

Grizz - You've been in the business long enough: Did you ever work with punchcards? How about Assembler language? That's how I started out.

Miss Allie: JCL! I used to like to answer "What are you doing?" with "IEFBR14". Such a geek. :lol:

I miss mainframe programming a lot. Even thought about getting a real job in the beginning of this year. Then I realized I'd have to actually GO TO WORK. The thought of it made me ill and I quickly got over it. :lol:

I should just buy my own mainframe and write code for it. I remember when a bank I was workig for was upgrading from IBM 360 to 370 they were selling the 360's for scrap.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I've only been programming for about 4 years now. I came into this profession long after assembler language and C for that matter. Worked for a greeting card company for 12 years and got to do some PLC programming and "programmed" a machine that had a 100X100 set of dials that positioned cutting dies to punch out cards/envelopes. When that company left for China I went to college and got a 2 year degree in Computer Information Systems. which led to me the job I have now. Right now we do everything in C# and SQL. Wish I had guts to strike out on my own, but after losing previous jobs to China it's hard to give up something stable.

I got the chance to do some assembly language and some C about 3 years ago working with some micro-controllers; that was fun!

Dept Of Navy Officer and Diversity Metrics and Analysis program manager

Shewwwwww !

Dat was a mouth full ! ! ! ;)

Hawk, I'm self employed and the money is not bad but it's certainly not a "good payin' job". No benefits, no retirement ( I'll do this until I can't do it anymore) and no real security. One good thing is my boss treats me very well :D It's not about how much money you make it's how you live within your means!

Rye ;)

It's a good thing your boss treats you well, cause nobody else does. :D

Well as a 17 years old I went out and joined the Canadian Army as an Infanteer, after 6 years I discovered that my body was not as "bullet proof" as I thought it was. So I decided that it was time to find an occupation that was a little safer and I became an Army Ammunition Technician. Along the way I picked up some qualifications in EOD/IED and Chemical Warfare Agents, did a few postings around the world and retired in 2002 after 28 years service. It appears my skills were in demand as a civilian working for the government in Defence Research & Development. I am a civilian Explosives/Chemical Technician.

I get to test experimental explosives, any new equipment that comes into service for the Canadian Armed Forces are tested by us, we test commercial systems around the world to see if they will benefit the military, we train first responders in explosive & CWA scenarios, conduct range sweeps, basicly we are the jack of all trades in the Explosive world up here and I'm 21 months from my next retirement.

Well as a 17 years old I went out and joined the Canadian Army as an Infanteer, after 6 years I discovered that my body was not as "bullet proof" as I thought it was. So I decided that it was time to find an occupation that was a little safer and I became an Army Ammunition Technician. Along the way I picked up some qualifications in EOD/IED and Chemical Warfare Agents, did a few postings around the world and retired in 2002 after 28 years service. It appears my skills were in demand as a civilian working for the government in Defence Research & Development. I am a civilian Explosives/Chemical Technician.

I get to test experimental explosives, any new equipment that comes into service for the Canadian Armed Forces are tested by us, we test commercial systems around the world to see if they will benefit the military, we train first responders in explosive & CWA scenarios, conduct range sweeps, basicly we are the jack of all trades in the Explosive world up here and I'm 21 months from my next retirement.

Hey D3, You up at Suffield, or Valcartier? Good folks doing great things.

Harvey

What an interesting job.....and get to set off explosives for a living....very cool.

I've worked at Coca-Cola for 40 years now as of last month. Started out as a driver and now I am an Account Manager (fancy title for sales rep). The wife is an RN. We'll never be rich but we've been able to travel a lot and raise three good kids. (I admit that I failed with the kids - none of them want to shoot CAS). I like what I do and it's kept me in shootin' funds for all these years. Just wish I had heard about SASS about 15-20 years ago.

I sometimes wish that I had heard Of SASS/CAS sooner too, but between little league, high school sports, marrying off 2 kids, getting 3 of them thru college (#4 is finishing his freshman year now) I doubt I would have had the time or the money. I kind of like this empty nest thing. Soon as I get #4 thru college and no longer ave that 20K/year drain, I'm gonna do more traveling and shooting. I enjoy going to different clubs, meeting new pards and checking out thier ranges. Shot with the Tejas Caballeros yesterday. They have a rolling mine cart that you ride in about 75', shooting targets along the way. Pretty darn cool!

Harvey, I'm in Suffield, the land of large explosive limits:):):)

Great! Us too. We haven't found our max limit yet (have done 500,000 lbs of TNT equivalent in a mag test), in spite of some of our more onerous regs down here in USA.

Maybe someday we'll have the opportunity to shoot together, Dark Side, of course!

Archived