SASS Wire Forum

Clays Load Recommendations ?

Normally I use Trail Boss for my .45 Colts (rifle & pistol) and Whiskey uses the same for .38 Special. We are running low on TB and on my last scavenger hunt did not turn up any. However, did score a few pounds of Clays. I use Clays for SG and have used it for rifle/pistol loads before, but never really tweaked the loads. So seeing as we need to use what we can find, am looking for advice. Have found load data that seems right, but would like to get suggestions from those who load with it regularly. Wanting somewhat light loads, controllable, but something above "mouse fart" loads. Bullets -

.45 Colt - 200gr LRNFP

.38 Spl - 147gr LRNFP

Would appreciate any advice via P.M. (yeah, I know, load data cannot be posted on the Wire).

Thanks pards,
Bucky

Don't over think it......just get the Hodgon Cowboy load data and come off the bottom a bit and you will be fine. The Cowboy data is low to start with so I won't go to the minimum levels........it's too light IMO. I like to be about 1/3 off the bottom for pistol loads.

Normally I use Trail Boss for my .45 Colts (rifle & pistol) and Whiskey uses the same for .38 Special. We are running low on TB and on my last scavenger hunt did not turn up any. However, did score a few pounds of Clays. I use Clays for SG and have used it for rifle/pistol loads before, but never really tweaked the loads. So seeing as we need to use what we can find, am looking for advice. Have found load data that seems right, but would like to get suggestions from those who load with it regularly. Wanting somewhat light loads, controllable, but something above "mouse fart" loads. Bullets -

.45 Colt - 200gr LRNFP

.38 Spl - 147gr LRNFP

Would appreciate any advice via P.M. (yeah, I know, load data cannot be posted on the Wire).

Thanks pards,

Bucky

Bucky, I load with Clays for rifle, pistol and shotgun. Check your email.

Don't over think it......just get the Hodgon Cowboy load data and come off the bottom a bit and you will be fine. The Cowboy data is low to start with so I won't go to the minimum levels........it's too light IMO. I like to be about 1/3 off the bottom for pistol loads.

Hey CJ, see you are registered for the Georgia State Match. It's gonna be a good one! Look forward to seeing you there!

Bucky

Hey CJ, see you are registered for the Georgia State Match. It's gonna be a good one! Look forward to seeing you there!

Bucky

Thanks it looks like it's gonna' be a good one..........nothing new for them folks in GA.....they always put on a good match.

My wife and I have been shooting 200 gn RNFP 45's for many years in SASS.

Happy to discuss loads off-line if you want.

joepro@proandsons.com

-tex fiddler

Tex is a bonafide wizard when it comes to .45 Colt loads. Whatever you learn from him is top-notch info.

What IROT said.

Archived