SASS Wire Forum

Colonoscopy Prep is Awful

Because of family history I've had 3 already, for me it's no big deal....I don't do anethesia for the scope, hate anethesia, kinda cool watching the lil tv and the scope...

cpbc

Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

Been there,done that.Going to do it again in a couple of months.I'll take the anethesia.

I hated the prep the night before. Drinking all that nasty go-lytely water was the hard part. Made me want to puke and I was miserable. The colonoscopy was actually cool, and stayed alert and awake the entire time watching the monitor.

I have thought about starting a colonoscopy-prep-medicine-taking service. Get the afternoon off from work and charge $100. Unfortunately it don't work like that!!! I set my kitchen timer and took a shot of that good stuff every 15 minutes or so.

It ain't nearly as bad as people act like. My old daddy was having one a few years before he left us and he was already moving

real slow. I said "Dad, I believe if I was you I would be drinking that stuff a little closer to the bathroom.

Good luck to ya.

Yellowboy

Dear Frazee,

Get those colonoscopsies early and often. Trust me, they are much better than a colon resection.

Regards,

Allie Mo

That's for dang sure! :(

Just wanted to say I am having a crummy evening. Nuff Said.

Frazee

Been there. I know how you feel. Wait until you are taken into a room in the morning and there are two cute girls and they say they are doing the procedure. Definitly was not one of my finest moments but you gotta do it :blush: Just tell them to be gentle and then go to sleep. I hope they put you out.Good luck ;)

HS

Gripe and complain all you want.....doing this uncomfortable procedure before they take a look at your innards is really the easy part. 18 years ago I had colorectal ca. I have had a colostomy for 18 years. I still do the cleanout and checkup regularly. Used to be 3 years, then five.....then back to annual and now three again. Found some precancerous polyps that the Doc didn't like, so the schedule was changed again.

Believe me, the small amount of agravation/discomfort is well worth knowing you are in good shape. I've had 18 years to think about it. Not doing the checkups can result in .......... You get the picture. :o

MY first one I told the doc I don't do the anethesia well, so he gave me just a little and told me if I needed more to let him know, andHE TOOK HIS TIME, as I watched the screen he would tell me when he was coming to a "corner", it was a weird feeling. but completely doable.

Next time no anethesia at all. He was very gentle.

Third time, my reg Dr did it, wasn't nearly as gentle, he had the nurses give me a lil juice when my breathing changed a little. If I have him do it next time, Imma gonna tell thim to plan on extra time.

I've had anethesia twice, first time woke up sick as a dog for 5 hrs before they gave me something for it, second time different juice, woke up gasping for air and the nurses saying, "stop that your scaring us!" I wish i cud have told them,,,,Does wonders for me,,gasp gasp gasp

cpbc

VA don't believe in anethesia, but is cool ta watch on the tube.

Every 5 years. coming up on #3 next year.

Vodka? Hmmmmmmmm.

had my first at 50. $^%*#$^% doctors and wives say every 5 years. I'm 54 now :(

The procedure aint nuthing, its the prep that I cant stand. I understand now they have some pills you swallow, and drink lots of water. That would have to be easier than the 27 gallons of that nasty putrid tasting stuff I had last time. If they can send a man to the moon, they could make that stuff taste better.

Complain all you want, just get the $h!t out of your system. The procedure is nothing. Take the nap and it's over before you know it. It's one day out of your life, and could mean the difference of enjoying life a lot longer, or not.

As my daddy always said, "you don't have to like it, ... just do it!"

Howdy Pards:

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and good advice. All went well. Doc will call me later in the week to let me know how many years until the next one. This was my second and it was much easier than the first. Walked out of the building less than an hour after the procedure started.

Thanks again,

Frazee

(I won't complain so much about the next one).

Howdy Pards:

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and good advice. All went well. Doc will call me later in the week to let me know how many years until the next one. This was my second and it was much easier than the first. Walked out of the building less than an hour after the procedure started.

Thanks again,

Frazee

(I won't complain so much about the next one).

Go ahead. You're payin for it. ;)

I do have one tip, lather yur butt up real good with vaseline before the juice starts working on you, mite safe yu from a bad case of monkeybutt!!!!!

cpbc

Because of family history I've had 3 already, for me it's no big deal....I don't do anethesia for the scope, hate anethesia, kinda cool watching the lil tv and the scope...

cpbc

No wonder they call you 'pretty boy"! You just ain't right! :blink:

I had one at 50 and will need another soon, 55 this year. But, I told the 4 foot 10 and 80 pound Anestieologist that she better make that twilight sedation into lights out time because there was no way she would hold me down if I saw what they were doing to me on that TV! She listened, I don't remember nuthin! :o

They tell me to count backwards from 100. I get all the way to 96 before lights out. :lol:

It doesn't get any easier the second time. Trust me

Hey after the first biopsy, I don't plan on going back for a second kick at the cat!

Hey after the first biopsy, I don't plan on going back for a second kick at the cat!

Huh! :angry: Did you say you kicked a cat? :angry:;)

Next person who complains about a colonoscopy will elicit my tirade about the five months of off-and-on ... I had after my resection.

So, any of you hesitating about a colonoscopy because of the prep, let me know and I'll share my story. You will think the C. Prep is a "walk in the park." Well at least a walk to the ... :o :blush:

Regards,

Allie Mo

The drug you get is basically sodium pentathal (sic - truth serum). It sends you into la-la land. No memories of what happened. No big deal when compared to general anathisia. Recovery is very fast. My next trip will be in February (have Ulcerative Colitis).

Archived