SASS Wire Forum

1872 Open Top durabilty in 45 Long Colt

With the reloading componets shortages, I've got a lot of 45 LC sitting around that I loaded for Wild Bunch matches and there are many of those in my neck of the central plains. I've only got one revolver in 45 LC so I'm in the market for a second, and I'm a die hard conversion fan, but I've heard that the open top/conversions don't hold up well in 45 long colt so any opinions will be appreciated...

I have three in .45 Colt and one of them developed a worn sear engagement problem very fast. I don't know if it was a factory defect or what, but the hammer cut was very rough and caused rapid wear on the trigger sear in short order. I rebuilt it and no problems since.

There are stories about those big .45 chambers being so large that the locking bolt cuts go clear through into the chambers on some, but I've never been able to get anyone who's complained about it to produce the revolver or even any pictures of the cylinder showing the defect.

My three are great "gamer guns" as they shoot a .454" cast round ball (~142 grains) over Trail Boss VERY accurately and to point of aim.

Guest Chance Ramsay, SASS#18962

I have a pair and I think they are great.Shot them for about 5 years now with no problems.

Archived