SASS Wire Forum

National Concealed Carry Reciprosity in the Manchin-Toomey Deal?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/13/manchin-toomey-deal-could-allow-gun-owners-seller-to-carry-sell-across-state/?test=latestnews

As some of you who have PM'd me know, I've been fairly vocal that defending our Constitutional rights has been a LOSING proposition for nearly 50 years. Therefore, I was shocked this morning to discover that hidden in the proposed Machin-Toomey gun control compromise is: 1) FFL interstate sales of ALL firearms and 2) National concealed carry reciprosity.

Both of these provisions would be a major win for gun owners. I'm going to have to knuckle down and actually read the bill now, but let's face it, if true, someone flat out wrote something in there at actually ASSERTS our 2nd Amendment rights. That approach has been missing for a very long time at the Federal level. Our only wins have been the steady drum-beat of State's rights in terms of 'shall-issue/ must issue' until Heller and McDonald

I added the link to the article, Tuco. Sorry that I forgot it before. If you find the actual bill I'd appreciate a link.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/13/manchin-toomey-deal-could-allow-gun-owners-seller-to-carry-sell-across-state/?test=latestnews

That's exactly what it is. Bait to get the Right to bite on it.

Could be.... have you read it? If so please share the link.

As some of you who have PM'd me know, I've been fairly vocal that defending our Constitutional rights has been a LOSING proposition for nearly 50 years. Therefore, I was shocked this morning to discover that hidden in the proposed Machin-Toomey gun control compromise is: 1) FFL interstate sales of ALL firearms and 2) National concealed carry reciprosity.

Both of these provisions would be a major win for gun owners. I'm going to have to knuckle down and actually read the bill now, but let's face it, if true, someone flat out wrote something in there at actually ASSERTS our 2nd Amendment rights. That approach has been missing for a very long time at the Federal level. Our only wins have been the steady drum-beat of State's rights in terms of 'shall-issue/ must issue' until Heller and McDonald

I read the proposed legislation multiple times. CCW reciprocity was not in the wording. It was mentioned on Face The nation this morning as something gun owners would appreciate by Sen Rubio.

I've read it, a couple of days ago, and I believe that it actually guarantees free transport through other states that may not otherwise recognize your CCW. IIRC, it also allows you to remain overnight with any gun(s) in any state, so long as you are just passing through.

Brother King:

I'm going to have to knuckle down and actually read the bill now...

Yeah, that's generally a good idea, no matter which side you're on.

Go to the source. here is Senator Toomy's page where the bill is posted.

http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=968

Excellent! Thank you...

I recorded and watched every single Sunday talk show and I have to say that Rubio worked his ass off. He stuck to his major points even against David Gregory who may as well have a Star/Sickle tattoo.

Interesting times for sure...

I would not get to excited about any National concealed carry reciprocity law.

At this time Federal Law 18 USC § 926A Interstate Transportation Of Firearms reads,

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

We all know how this works for people transporting firearms through New York City. I am sure New York City, Chicago, etc will let you carry concealed if a National concealed carry reciprocity passes. Just look at how they follow Federal Law regarding firearms now.

National concealed carry reciprocity is just more smoke and mirrors to get some to go along with more Gun Control.

Almost all bills get changed as they go through the senate and house. Legislators remove parts and add amendments as the bill goes back and forth between them. The final outcome can become nothing like what was originally intended. We have all seen this in the past.

Tomorrow, April 16, the U.S. Senate will begin consideration of a number of

anti-gun proposals. The underlying bill is S. 649, the so-called “Safe

Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013”, which would significantly

restrict our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

S.649 seeks to criminalize the private transfer of firearms by

law-abiding citizens, requiring friends, neighbors and many family

members to get government permission to exercise a fundamental right or

face prosecution. Among the amendments that will likely be offered

to S. 649 are a ban on commonly and lawfully-owned firearms and

magazines and language to criminalize the private transfer of firearms

through an expansion of background checks. This includes the misguided

background check “compromise” proposal drafted by Senators Joe Manchin

(D-WV), Pat Toomey (R-PA) and Chuck Schumer (D-NY)—a proposal NRA strongly opposes!

NRA unequivocally opposes S. 649 and all anti-gun amendments to this bill!

Archived