SASS Wire Forum

Ice

Subdeacon Joe

Is that Darth Vader???? He found the rebel base! RUN!!!!!!!! lol

The run to Murmansk was a very nasty trip I understand.

What da heck is "Able Bodied" mean any how ?

Aint any person in da military able bodied ?

What da heck is "Able Bodied" mean any how ?

Aint any person in da military able bodied ?

Means ye didn't read it right, Hawk. Just "Able Seaman."

In the old rating system, like back in the days of wooden ships and iron men, men enlisted for one cruise. Fresh caught were called "Landsmen." Once they were a little knowledgeable and not a danger to themselves, the ship, or others, they were "Seamen" or "Ordinary Seamen." When they could be trusted to work by themselves and do things like work aloft, swing the lead, and steer, (hand, reef, and steer) say after about two years, they were "Able Seamen."

My father entered WWII in the Merchant Marines, and made one crossing to England. When he returned he promply joined the Army, saying he couldn't swim. I understand ships fore and aft of his lost encounters with U-boats. He never went into water over his head after that either.

A friend of mine served on a destroyer in the North Atlantic, during our disagreement with Germany. He remarked that

it was not uncommon to see ships explode in the night. Said that they could not stop for survivors so the sailors were

at the mercy of the Sea. Having been on the North Atlantic in January, I can attest that I do not want to go swimming

there.

Archived