SASS Wire Forum

Police, ‘anti-gun’ prosecutor clash with soldiers in area around Fort Hood

Subdeacon Joe

http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/12/police-anti-gun-prosecutor-clash-with-soldiers-in-area-around-fort-hood-video/

The conflict between law enforcement and armed military personnel in
the community around Fort Hood, one of America’s largest military bases,
has recently and repeatedly involved the issue of gun control — and the
tension has been exacerbated in part by an Obama-supporting prosecutor
described as a “bandleader” of anti-gun efforts in the heavily
conservative community.

The conflict reached a fever pitch last month, when Texas police
arrested an active-duty Army sergeant for “rudely displaying” a hunting
rifle. The sergeant, C.J. Grisham, established an online legal defense fund after he was, in his words, “illegally arrested and disarmed” for carrying the firearm.

“While out hiking with my son through backcountry roads to help him
earn his Eagle Scout rank, I was illegally arrested and disarmed without
cause. I was thrown in jail and my lawfully owned weapons were
confiscated without receipt or notice,” Grisham wrote on the website for
the defense fund.

Something tells me things are about to get REAL nasty.
Guest Texas Jack Black

From the Daily Caller ?must be the truth.So how many Texans have you known that were treated like this soldier was?

I for one Texan do not believe this story. I think it's faked. I'm not saying it isn't possible. I am saying it is highly improbible. TSRA would have been all over this like ugly on an ape and would have reported and would have offered legal assistance to the soldier. Also legal representation would be provided by JAG (unless military regs have changed drasticaly in the past 50 years).

1. You don't need a CHL to openly carry a long gun in the state of Texas. The "Sgt." erroneously states that he has a "concealed carry permit". In Texas we don't call it a "concealed carry permit". It is a concealed handgun license and states such across the top of the license and folks in Texas who have one call it a CHL.

2. There are no laws against publicly and openly carrying a long gun in Texas as long as you aren't carrying in a manner to cause the average person to become alarmed, IE; aiming at people. The article states that he had the rifle "slung over his shoulder."

3. Looks like this was a academy training video used to train cadets as to what NOT to do when they hit the streets as rookies. When I was in rookie school we were asked "You're in a restaurant having lunch & 3 guys walk in carrying hunting rifles and stack them in a corner and sit down at a table. What are you going to do about it? 3 or 4 cadets said "arrest them". The instructor asked them "for what"? and asked them to look up & quote the statute the men violated. I said, "nothing", and the instructor asked me why and I told him because they hadn't done anything illegal. He said I was right.

4.The "Sgt" said he was on a "backcountry road" with his son. If you watched the video you saw that they were in a rural area and the two officers were clearly city of Temple Police officers. If they were outside the city limits they were out of their jurisdiction and had no authority to arrest on a misdemeanor which is what this charge would have been had it existed.

5. The video was high quality and was probably done with a professional quality camera. It certainly wasn't done with a dashcam. What was a cameraman doing along anyway?

6. Lastly, look at the video of the "Sgt" being arrested. I don't think anyone his size could pass any military PT test that I know of.

This whole thing is, IMHO, as phony as the $3 bills I have with Slick Willie's picture on the front of em.

Charge reduced against man hiking with gun in Temple

BY DEBORAH MCKEON | TELEGRAM STAFF
Wednesday, Apr 3, 2013 4:30 AM

The charge against Christopher Grisham, who was arrested after police found him carrying a rifle while hiking with his son, was changed from resisting arrest — a Class A misdemeanor — to interrupting, disrupting, impeding and interfering with a peace officer while performing a duty, a Class B misdemeanor.

The original charge said a call came in of two men walking along the road, termed “suspicious males,” in the area of Airport Road and Old Howard Road. One appeared to be armed, according to the police report provided by Cpl. Christopher Wilcox, Temple Police spokesman.

Guest Texas Jack Black

It only makes sense to let the officers know he was armed . Why are there so many posting such ridiculous false info on this Forum? I had no idea so many believed the garbage of Alex Jones and his kind. This sure helps the left.

TBJ, the article said he had the rifle slung over his shoulder. If they couldn't see that he was armed I wouldn't want blind cops working on my PD. The whole thing is a bunch iof hogwash.

Ok, I was wrong. I now believe it did occur. There is no such law in Texas as "rudely displaying a rifle". That's why the charge was changed to resisting arrest. The city attorney has probably already told them that they screwed up big time. I couldn't believe that in this day & time that two cops & one of them a Sgt could be so stupid with all the continuing ed required by TCLOSE. I would not be surprized at all if all charges hadn't already been dropped. The two cops are going to probably lose their jobs as well as be sued for everything they own. They were clearly outside their jurisdiction when they stopped the Sgt & his son. That was the county sheriff's jurisdiction. The city will, more than likely, also be sued because it is legally, morally, & ethically responsible for the actions of its employees.

I don't know if the Army still can, but at one time the commanding general of the post had the authority to post every business in the city as off limits to all military personnel. That would create economic disaster for the city. Maybe Col. Dan or some other career soldier will chime in on this.

Hmmm. Let me see if I'm getting this straight. Initially, he was arrested for resisting arrest for being arrested for doing something that was legal. Then, his son is illegally detained and questioned without a parent or guardian present.

From everything I've read, and from what I saw on the video, the Temple Police better get ready to have their check book handy. I don't think it's going to be a question of if they have to pay. I think it will be more of a question as to how many zeros the twelve members of the jury will say will be added.

No Slim, he was initially charged with "rudely displaying a firearm". There is no such charge in the state of Texas as rudely displaying a firearm. The two officers knew it or should've known it, especially the Sgt. So trying to save their a$$ they reduced the charge to resisting arrest, probably under the instruction of their Lt. or Chief. And that dog won't hunt either. They were outside the city limits of Temple and had no jurisdiction to make an arrest in the first place. They screwed up and they knew it & tried to cover it up with phony charges.

If I were the City Manager I would order the chief to demote the Sgt to patrolman and suspend both officers for 21 days without pay, and send them both back to rookie school for retraining on the Texas Penal Code, & Code of Criminal Procedure, and they would have to make a public apology to the Sgt & his son on TV & in the papers. If they didn't accept that punishment I would terminate them. I would hope that would satisfy the Sgt &

his son. But if not I'd offer them each $10.000.00 to settle out of court.

We now have 2 threads on this here and one in the Saloon.

Archived