SASS Wire Forum

Help me identify one of my '97 shotguns

Widder, SASS #59054

ITs an original Winchester '97.

12 gauge.

The top of the receiver is flat, about 1/4 or 3/8" wide and has a stipled type texture.

Serial number: 87****

Barrel markings read:

Model 97 - Winchester - 12 Gauge FULL

It is a takedown model and originally had a barrel of approx 24 or 26". It doesn't have the long barrel now.

QUESTION: is this a skeet or trap type model?

THANKS,

..........Widder

Full choke - not a skeet gun.

26 inch barrel - probably not a trap gun. That would be more like 30 inch, "from the day" And, some trap guns would have a high cheek piece on the stock.

So, probably a special order or gunsmith modified field gun, with the "sighting flat" on the receiver.

Got pics?

Good luck, GJ

From what I have read and seen, that receiver "top" was used on most "Tournament grade" Winchesters including Skeet Trap Pigeon and a number of others. Winchester apparently made many configurations of the externals -- including Tournament Grade wood and stocks that are more English straight-stock butt stocks and thin, lightly checkered forearms. It seems some of these were regular (but low) production and others were of their many special order configurations.

It seems to me that Winchester DID make the Win97 with a factory 26' barrel, (I have one), but for some reason right now, I just cannot recall the particulars of it, except that the term "brush gun" comes to mind. I'll have to go down and get the gun out and look at it again. I think I have some notes on it around here, but that's what I recall. Is it a "C" series gun, or what?

Does this Win97 have the older style "knob" stock?

EDIT -- EDIT -- EDIT

Okay, they actually made these guns for a longer period of time than I remembered. I found this short notation in my notes:

"Brush gun was made available November 1897 to 1931. It had shorter stock with more drop and 26 inch barrel."

Cat Brules

The Original Post give the serial number of 87**** which puts it mfg in 1940. So it's not a "C" model but an "E" model. I've never seen a FULL choked gun with less than a 30 inch or special order 32 inch barrel. MOD choke guns were 28 inches and CYL Bore had 26 or 20 inch barrels.

I own 6 Winchester 1897's and have bought and Sold more than a Dozen others. I have C, D, and E models. I have 1 that was mfg in 1913 and is a 2 barrel set. A 30 inch FULL and a 26 inch CYL bore, both serial numbered to the Gun.

It sounds like yours was a 30 inch Full and was cut down by someone. With the Stippling texture it could have been a Trap Gun which was sometimes stamped on the Bolt. There was also a Black Diamond Grade, Pigeon Grade and Tournament Grade. Trench guns and Riot Guns came with 20 inch barrels.

Jake

I've handled about 500 of the 97's in the last 10 years and have seen just about everything they made. The receiver you describe is not uncommon at all and is found on many field grade 97's. That or there were a lot of front end changes on the guns. The standard barrel lengths were 30" and 32" and were full chokes, 28" was modified choke, 26" (Brush Gun) and 20" (Riot & Trench Guns) were cyl bore chokes. As I understand, Winchester had other options available but I have not seen them. The barrel you describe as being stamped "full" had to start out as a 30" or 32" and cut down to its current length. Any 97 that I have handled that has "trap", "pigion" or other model identifying marks were stamped on the side of the bolt so it could be seen thru the ejection port. These were also in the Black Diamond models of the 97. The Black Diamonds also had as an option with the length wise band of checking or stiplin on both the receiver and the barrel. It may have been done to help prevent glare.

Thanks for all the info and help Pards.

This particular 97 did have a longer barrel and it could have been a 30"er.

its just that 'flat top' kinda thru me a curve and if it might have meant any particular thing.

its kinda worn and didn't cost me much but it does appear to be reliable and solid in functioning.

Thanks again

..........Widder

Brush guns have a shorter mag tube and the stocks have less drop than normal guns.

I've yet to see one with a shorter Mag tube. How much shorter? Can you reference a example of one.

Jake

Archived