SASS Wire Forum

Team SASS Update: My Recent Contact with the NRA

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

I recently contacted my POC at the NRA (Glen Caroline, Director of the NRA-ILA Grassroots Division) and asked what additional action if any Team SASS could assist with as we face the gun control action currently in the Senate. Below is Glen's response.

-----------------

Dan, Right now, the best thing that can be done is to make sure
you are constantly making outreach to your membership to urge them to contact
their senators to oppose the gun control bills moving in the Senate, including
the recently-announced Manchin-Toomey background check proposal. More
information at link and email below:

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/news-from-nra-ila/2013/4/statement-from-the-national-rifle-association-regarding-toomey-manchin-background-check-proposal.aspx?s=&st=&ps=

Thank you,

Glen

Glen Caroline, Director

NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

-----------------

I assured Glen that Team SASS was aware and taking action in contacting their Senators.

Thanks Colonel, sent another letter to my reps!

"...we have a broken mental health system that is not going to be fixed with more background checks at gun shows."

I find this just a little puzzling. What good will "improving" the mental health system do, as far as keeping guns out of the hands of the truly mentally ill, without coupling it to some sort of background check?

Colonel, does the NRA expand on this at all? Does the NRA have any alternative suggestions?

I have an alternative solution, QUIT supporting the rat politicians that continually fight to circumvent our 2nd amendment rights. It's not too difficult, MOST belong to a certain party.

The Senate is supposed to have 30 hours now to review the proposed legislation before them

before anything else goes on (if they choose NOT to waive it).

Lets hope they take the time to READ the damn bill before they begin actions to "amend" it.

Apparently there are a couple of things in the Manchin-Toomey proposal that would be

"good" if adopted...such as changes in the laws to allow holders of State-issued CCW permits being allowed to travel through states which do not allow Concealed carry, and some other relaxations of interstate purchases etc. These kinds of things would be "improvements" (if adopted) over the present federal laws....

But I ain't holding my breath.

Bp

You have to keep an eye on amendments that will be attached. Not only to this bill but to other innocuous bills that will pass in the final minutes of the session. It's an underhanded games these people play.

"...we have a broken mental health system that is not going to be fixed with more background checks at gun shows." I find this just a little puzzling. What good will "improving" the mental health system do, as far as keeping guns out of the hands of the truly mentally ill, without coupling it to some sort of background check? Colonel, does the NRA expand on this at all? Does the NRA have any alternative suggestions?

Interesting dichotomy

isn’t it. We don’t want those with

serious mental health problems to have firearms yet we don’t want psychiatrists

reporting to NICS or background checks.

How do I explain this to the soccer moms and little league dads who are the ones we need

to influence? At this time we need rational arguments to support our position.

Crossing our arms and stamping our feet like petulant children isn’t going to

make it.

Archived