SASS Wire Forum

Dreams of the Golden Aspen Ranch

Calico Mary

It had seemed like an eternity before I heard the team pulling the wagon with Doc and Calico, boy was I glad that she hadn't taken the hint I had tried to give her! Doc got straight to work on Karl and I was expecting to feel Calico's arms but she swung up on Rascal and took off and then I heard the blast. I looked up to see Calico almost go out of the saddle, then NOOOOO, one of the other men was trying to draw a bead on Calico with a pistol. That was when I heard Biblepuncher and Doc both holler NOOOO, Biblepuncher had drawn both pistols and had started walking towards the man firing both pistols as he went. Doc at the same time had grabbed my rifle and was commencing to fire it faster than i had ever heard a Winchester shot before. The man looked like he was a puppet on marionette strings his limbs were flailing so. The man finally crumpled to the ground and as Biblepuncher stood over him he put one last bullet between the man's eyes while he said, "You don't pull down on a lady!"

It took just seconds before Calico was cradling me in her arms. She was trying not to cry as she was checking my wounds. I couldn't stand her tears and reached my lips to kiss her cheek, "I guess there's no hurry to go to Denver now, is there?" She rolled her eyes at me and almost smacked my leg, yes the one with the wounds, before she caught herself. "What am I going to do with you?" she asked. I just winked at her!

Doc meanwhile was taking stock of Karl's wounds while the two of them passed a flask back and forth. Calico looked at Doc inquisitively, "I didn't know you could." she told him. I explained to Calico that Doc had once been a deadly gunfighter but when a young boy drew down on him and he had to kill him that Doc had put his guns away, and took up doctoring. About then Doc looked at me with a look of disgust for letting out his secret and poured some of the whiskey from the flask onto my leg wounds. I winced in pain and Karl cried in pain, "Hey, don't waste it!! That's the good stuff!"

Biblepuncher meanwhile had been searching the men looking for clues as who they were and where they were from. "From the looks of their clothes and coats and gear they were from much further north, and by the cards he had found in their saddlebags they were gamblers. I was a mind to let them rot where they lay and feed the buzzards, but I wanted Finn to see if he recognized them. That would wait though, Karl was already loaded on the wagon, and over my objections I was loaded onto the back of it too. Karl wasn't minding having his head held in Calico's lap one bit, at least until he finally passed out.

We pulled up along side Ike and Eddie who were getting Grumpy on his feet, even Buford was trying to help. We were on our way to the ranch with Eddie driving the team through the darkness as quickly as he dared. I suddenlly realized that I had sent David out to help Karl, Biblepuncher and Ike volunteered to go back to look for him. He had either gotten lost, or he was wounded or dead back where we had found Karl.

Lord, how I hated riding in the back of wagons!!

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure owed Biblepuncher and Doc for that one, I might have been in big trouble if it hadn't been for those two. I was shocked to see Doc grab that rifle and handle it so easily, I'd had no idea he was a former gunslinger, in fact I couldn't recall if I'd ever seen him shoot anything before or not. Maybe I better start listening to him and behaving myself, just in case!

Cheyenne would definitely have to behave himself for a while, I could see at least two bullet wounds in his leg, but he had to wait until Doc was finished with Karl. Karl hadn't faired any better, one in the leg and one in the shoulder, and he had lost a lot of blood. We got them loaded in the wagon as quickly as we could, thankfully Running Bear and Black Horse were there to help, neither Biblepuncher or I could really help lifting either injured man. We stopped to get Grumpy as well, Eddie and Ike helped him limp to the wagon and get in. Grumpy hadn't been shot, but his horse had been, and Grumpy hadn't been able to get his leg out of the way in time before the horse fell, with Grumpy's ankle stuck underneath.

Doc asked him, "Do you think it's broken, or just sprained?" Grumpy shook his head, "Busted is whut it feels like, but you take care of the boss and Karl first. I ain't bleedin' none, I kin wait." Cheyenne tried to wiggle a little closer to Grumpy, then held out a flask. "This might help until Doc can get to you," Cheyenne told him, and Grumpy was more than happy to take his advice. Biblepuncher and Ike went back to look for David, the rest of us headed for Doc's office as fast we we dared. Karl had passed out, Cheyenne didn't look too good either, and I was feeling really shaky. Doc was going to have his hands full for a while.

We finally pulled up in front of Doc's office, and Finn came out when he heard us pull up. "Need some help? Junior's resting," he said. Doc was more than happy to accept, "If you don't mind, could you give Grumpy a hand? He can't put any weight on one ankle, take it slow and easy and help him into the chair closest to the door. Eddie, I need you, Running Bear, and Black Horse to help me get Karl in and onto the exam table. Cheyenne, I'll send the others back for you as soon as we get Karl settled.

I asked Finn if he needed me to help with with Grumpy, but both men just waved me off and told me to stay with Cheyenne. As soon as all the others were inside, however, Cheyenne started scooting down towards the end of the wagon, telling me, "I don't need to be carried in, if you'll give me a hand I can make it on my own." I wasn't too sure about that, his leg was in bad shape and I was feeling pretty weak. Cheyenne was being stubborn though, he usually was when he was wounded, so I put my arm around his waist and let him lean on me as I tried getting him up the stairs onto the porch.

It wasn't easy, and we had one more step to go up when Running Bear and Black Horse came back out, and I was glad to see them. Normally I wouldn't have had any trouble getting Cheyenne up those steps, but I could feel my legs getting shaky and weak. The two braves quickly moved forward to help Cheyenne, and it was a good thing they did. As soon as my foot hit the porch, everything started going black and I could feel myself falling...

Calico had just handed me off when I saw her eyes roll back into her head. Some how I slipped the grasp of Running Bear and Black Horse and was able to dive under Calico before she hit the ground. "Doc" I screamed loudly enough that he was beside us in seconds. "What did you do, fall and pull her down too?" Doc asked in his grumpy tone.

"Twernt me Doc, she passed out cold all by herself, I just dove to try to catch her" I said almost apologetically. "Take her and just throw some salve out to me, I'll be ok" I told Doc as I lifted her up to Doc as best as I could.

Doc scooped up Calico and disappeared into his place and shortly after the can of salve came flying out the doorway. Running Bear and Black Horse just stood there shaking their heads, not knowing what to think.

I mashed some of the salve into my wounds and then motioned for Running Bear and Black Horse to help me up and into Doc's so that I could check on Calico. He was standing over her with a cloth soaked with amonia and as soon as he got it over her nose she was coughing and gagging with her eyes wide open. "Here, if she passes out again put this up to her nose, I've got to finish working on Karl" Doc said handing me the cloth. Whew. that was nasty stuff.

Running Bear and Black Horse were sniffing at the cloth, so I shoved it at their noses and the two of the make a break for the door gagging as they went. I knew I was going to pay for that, but I knew Calico needed something to laugh about.

What was that awful smell? I woke up couching and gasping for fresh air, what was Doc trying to do to me? He backed off and went back to Karl, and then I saw Cheyenne waving that foul smelling cloth at Running Bear and Black Horse, but I couldn't understand why. Was something wrong with them too? It didn't look like it, but my brain was still a little fuzzy, I couldn't concentrate.

Cheyenne switched his attention back to me, and asked me how I was feeling. "Shouldn't I be asking you that?" I told him, he was the injured one, not me. I struggled to sit up so I could check his leg again, but Doc saw me and yelled, "You just lay back down, I don't want you moving for a while. Eddie, get a chair for your father so he can sit down before he falls down!" After seeing the way he handled that rifle, I wasn't about to argue with him, and Cheyenne didn't hesitate to sit down when Eddie placed a chair next to the table I was laying on.

After a while Doc was finally finished patching up Karl's wounds, and he had the other uninjured men help him move Karl to one of the other beds. There were only three, and Junior was already in one of them. That left only one for Grumpy, Cheyenne, and me, obviously Doc was going to have to release at least two patients to go home tonight, whether he wanted to or not. I didn't think I needed to stay, I was feeling a little better, and all I needed to do was make it back to the house. I figured that when Doc was done examining both Cheyenne and Grumpy he'd decided which one of them needed to stay in his office more. I was a little annoyed when Doc came over to me first, but I kept my mouth shut as he gave me a quick exam.

I was shocked then when he motioned Finn and Eddie over, asking them to help me into the last bed, so that he could have the table I was on for Cheyenne. One of the bullets had gone clear through his calf, the other was still in his thigh and would need to come out. "But Doc, I was just going to go on home when I was sure Cheyenne was ok, let him or Grumpy have the bed. I'm fine..." I tried telling him, but to no avail. "Missy, you get your butt over in that bed and stay there until I say otherwise. You have been pushing yourself way too hard the last two weeks, and it's finally caught up to you. Only thing wrong with you is that you need rest, lots of it, and you aren't leaving this office until I'm positive you've gotten enough."

"But what about Ruth? I need to go home and take care of her..." I started to say, but Running Bear spoke up. "I will go get Two Birds, she can come down and nurse the baby, her own daughter is eating solid food and not nursing much anymore. She will be honored to help." Darn it, why did Cheyenne have to teach Running Bear how to speak English anyway! Cheyenne didn't seem to mind the idea so much, though Doc did tell Running Bear to let his sister know that we would only need her to care for Ruth during the night for a few nights, during the day someone could bring Ruth to me when she needed fed. I was furious, how dare they make me stay here and even arrange for someone else to take care of my baby girl without asking my opinion?

I wanted to argue the point with Doc, but he needed to get that bullet out of Cheyenne's leg and set Grumpy's ankle first. I let Eddie help me to the bed, intending to just rest for a few minutes while I was waiting for Doc to finish up. As soon as my head hit the pillow it did occur to me that I was pretty tired, it seemed like forever since I'd been able to sleep all through the night. Even before Ruth was born I had been having trouble sleeping for weeks. This bed wasn't all that bad, I thought, as my eye lids grew heavy. Last thing I remembered later was hearing Cheyenne ask Doc, "Are you sure she's going to be all right?"

I knew that if Doc was worried about Calico if he was going to make her sleep in here for several days. I had slept in these beds before and I knew they sure weren't big enough for two. "Ouch, take it easy Doc, it hurt enough the first time" I told Doc and he dug around in my leg for the bullet.

"I guess you two will behave for a little while anyway now" Doc said as he finally pulled the bullet out of my leg. "Maybe a telegraph to Denver will help, that way by the time Calico gets rested up you two won't be starting on number four so soon." Doc continued.

"Yea, it doesn't look like I'll be going far very soon anyway. But durn it Doc, are you sure that's all that's wrong with her?" I asked him with fear showing in my voice.

"Wrong with her? Besides being stubborn, testy, ornery and, well, ready whenever you are?" Doc said laughingly. "No, I don't THINK anything is bad wrong with her, just let her rest, then we'll see." Doc said as he called for Grumpy to be brought in to be treat. Buford was not having any part of Grumpy going to far without him but had to settle for the porch. Doc could be persuasive when he wanted.

I slipped of the table and kissed Calico on the forehead before I eased outside, dang i wished the men would get back from the round up. Ike and Eddie were waiting for me with eyes as big as a cow's eyes. "Did you boys ever find David?" I asked them. They pointed over to a bench by Grumpy's place where David was sitting, rubbing his wrists and his head.

"He said he saw the men who later attacked Grumpy and Karl and recognized them, but when he approached them they hit him over the head and tied him up. He feels it's all his fault that you and Karl got shot up and Grumpy's horse was killed and Grumpy's leg broken." Eddie quietly told me.

"David" I called to him, "Give me a hand would you?" He got up with his head hanging and hurried over to me. "Where's my father anyway?" he asked.

"Good question" I told him, "good question!"

It was usually Cheyenne that dreamed about being an eagle, but this time it was me. Another eagle was flying beside me, and a bunch more ranging from barely big enough to fly up to almost fully grown followed behind us. I looked down, and saw rolling hills covered in lush forests, with an occasional lake or stream mixed in. The heat on my back told me it was summer, but the land below seemed awfully green for this time of year. In the heat of summer the Colorado Rockies were normally more brown than green, but those hills didn't look like the mountains I was used to anyway, much too short. My sharpened senses detected a hint of salt in the air. It was really rather pretty, but where was I?

I awoke with a start to the sound of someone moaning, it took me a few seconds to realize it was Karl. Within seconds Doc was beside him, whispering, "I knew that whiskey would be wearing off about now, but can you try to keep it down? You're going to wake Calico." I stretched a bit and tried to sit up. "It's ok Doc, I'm already awake, and I'm feeling a bit better. I guess I really did need a good night's sleep. Ya want me to fix everyone some breakfast?"

"No, I most certainly do not, Missy! You keep yourself in that bed like I told you, someone will be bringing breakfast over soon. At least with Hop Sing cooking I won't have to worry about these gents adding upset stomachs to their other injuries." He smiled when he said that part, but it was still annoying. My cooking was getting a little better, pancakes weren't that hard and I'd finally learned to cook eggs without burning them. I did get Doc to finally agree to let me get up long enough to go to the outhouse, after I convinced him that he wouldn't like the consequences if he didn't let me. He made me go right back to bed when I got back, even though I offered to help him change the dressings on Karl's wounds.

Later on Sally and Laura showed up with our breakfast, and Cheyenne was with them. He'd already eaten, but he knew Doc would want to check on him and besides, he missed me. Doc told him that he would have come over to the house instead, but Cheyenne pointed out that he wouldn't have gotten to see me if he had waited for Doc there. "Well, just don't get her all riled up, if that's even possible," was Doc's reply, and for some reason Karl and Junior got a good laugh out of that. "Where's Ruth, didn't Doc say last night that I could see her today?"

"Two Birds and Kate are taking good care of her, and Kate will bring her over later. Just relax, you'll get to see her soon, I promise. I wanted to talk to you first though, you gave me a pretty bad scare last night. Doc thinks you just didn't take enough time to rest right after Ruth was born, and it caught up to you. You've been pushing yourself too hard lately, I know spring is a busy time of year but you need to take it a little easier for another week or two," he told me. "A bunch of us sat around talking last night, and if you agree to what we've come up with it might help a bit. I've already offered Kate a permanent position as governess to Rose and the twins, don't even argue with me on that, it's a done deal. Tommy is pretty much old enough where he doesn't need one, he can take care of himself with just a little supervision. That will give you more time and energy to concentrate on Ruth and your sewing. I know Sally has her heart set on you making her a wedding dress, so I don't think you'll be bored for a while."

"Now the other part, you know that Danny will be leaving soon to head back to the Golden Aspen. He might not be taking all those mustangs back, I'm planning on sending a telegram to Buick soon to make him an offer on several of them. I hate losing him, he's a good hand, but Danny himself suggested to me a while back that I hire Lone Wolf on and make him an real employee, he's up here helping out pretty much every day anyway, it's time to make it official. He'll take over what Danny's been doing, both with any mustangs I can get out of MacKane and with any new ones we manage to catch. Running Bear is going to talk to him about it today. This is where we need your input though, if Lone Wolf says yes I'm going to make him Ike's assistant, some of the other wranglers might not like that but that's just tough, Lone Wolf's earned it. Then I'd like for Ike to start spending more time with the Clydesdales to help you out, he's willing to but he won't agree to it if you say no. He says those are your horses, not mine, and it's your decision to make. Can you please at least think about it? I'm not suggesting you don't do anything with them at all, just let Ike take over some of it and you only do what you feel up to."

I loved spending time with those gentle giants, but Cheyenne's plan was probably for the best. As long as I wasn't banned from working with them at all, I knew I could trust Ike to take good care of my biggest babies. And I didn't object to the idea of paying Kate for taking care of the kids, she'd been doing enough of that for free it was high time she started getting paid for it, and Lone Wolf as well. Cheyenne wasn't finished though, "Besides, I promised you a trip somewhere this summer, start thinking about where you might want to go." Where did I want to go? Well, I wouldn't mind visiting the Golden Aspen, especially if we could arrange to be there for Danny and Ella's wedding. Cheyenne had suggested San Francisco a while back, but thinking back to my dream the night before I knew I would prefer a spot like that over a big city. The only question was....where was that place?

The next few days were torturous for me, Calico had always been beside me on the ranch. Well at least at night anyway. I could see Calico becoming more and more rested and like her old self with each day.

I had had a telegram sent to Denver for some of those things that Doc had recomended. I wasn't in a hurry at all for Calico to go through this again. for a while anyway. I know I wasn't liking it much too.

Jr. was healing well and he and Finn were spending a lot of time together when Finn wasn't mucking out the barns. Finn had protested about that job but I didn't have to say a thing because Jr. had piped in that he had had to do the same very job when he decided to stay on at the ranch.

In the evenings at dinner I was noticing several things about Finn that reminded me of my father, facial expressions, hand gestures and even vocal intonations once in a while. What was really eerie was when I would see some of those things in Jr.

Doc had made Calico stay at his place for nearly a week, I tried to convince Doc to let her stay at the house but he would just look at me and laugh, then tell me that he knew the two of us all too well and that he wanted her to rest and get plenty of sleep. I told Doc of the telegram that I had sent to Denver and all he said was, "About time!, by the time that package gets her maybe I'll say it's ok, as long as you understand what they're for!"

Round up was over and the cattle pushed towards the summer range for fattening and those with other brands were driven towards other ranches where exchanges were made with the ranchers in the area. We lost more than usual that year because of the colder that usual temps and heavy snows. We did have several good bulls though and by the time we were done with that aspect we were more than hopeful of the herd's growth.

One thing that had me worried though were the men passing through Ft Collins looking for Finn. I had made arrangement with the sheriff, Tom, and Casey the barkeep to tell anyone asking about Finn to tell them that he had gone on to Denver and possibly on to Texas after that. We had had enough damage already from men looking for Finn already and I just felt it was so much easier to avoid anymore trouble if we could.

I hadn't wanted to stay at Doc's, but I had to admit after a few days that it had done me a lot of good. By the end of the week I was totally rested, and felt better than I had in a long time. It hadn't been so bad, someone brought Ruth to me pretty regularly during the day, at night Padre would bring Two Birds down to the house so she could take care of the midnight feedings. I really appreciated her help, and I was happy to see Two Birds and Padre getting along so well, she had been so lonely since her husband had been killed. Her children needed a father figure in their lives as well, and Padre would be a big help to her in raising the two boys especially.

Doc didn't want me doing much else, but he did let Cheyenne bring me an armload of books, and I did a lot of reading. I also spent some time talking to Junior, especially after Doc let Karl so back to his place to continue his recovery. Junior was having a hard time adjusting to the idea that Finn was his father, but even he had to admit that Finn knew way too much about Junior's mother to have not known her. I wasn't sure if he was more upset that Finn was his father, or that Frank was not. The fact that he had no claim to the ranch was a disappointment to him, but he did tell me he was glad that he was at least Cheyenne's cousin, maybe it wasn't as good as being brothers but at least it was something. Finn came to visit Junior every night, and when he showed up I tried to be respectful of their need to get to know each other, so I would bury my nose in a book until Cheyenne came by. Doc did let me go out and sit on the porch with Cheyenne, we couldn't get in too much trouble out there, not with the porch being in full view of most of the married hands' cabins.

We talked about a lot of things, not the least of which was delaying any more additions to our family for a while, at least any more that I had to produce. Adding Ike to the family would be a good thing, and besides we had already promised Sally. I also told Cheyenne about the dream I had been having, it was happening every night. It wasn't a bad dream, in fact it was rather peaceful, I just couldn't figure out the meaning of it. I also still had no idea where the place was. Cheyenne suggested waiting until I came home, then we could go through some of Frank's maps and see if that might help in figuring it out. I hoped so, because somehow I was getting the feeling this was a place that had some importance to our future.

Finally Doc decided I was rested enough, and that I could go back home. He did warn me not to push myself too much for a few more days, but I was looking forward to spending more time with Ruth and at least getting to play with the twins. When I got home though, I didn't get to spend much time with any of the kids before Cheyenne came in, a huge smile on his face, saying something about, "The package I ordered has arrived!" What in the world was that man talking about this time?

When I finally got to show Calico what was in the box, it was like to kids looking at stuff in a hardware store, we knew what we were looking at was supposed to work, but we weren't sure just how? It wasn't quite time yet any way, but when the time was right, we would be ready!

We poured over my father's maps, trying to figure out if Calico's dream were about an actual place. There was the Great Salt Lake for the salty sense, it may have been on the other side of the Rockies, but we really enjoyed the time together and the idea of planning a trip.

My wounds were healing quickly, but Karl was much slower recuperating. He was getting around and spent most of his days doing the books and ordering supplies. I could sense the unrest building in him and figured when he was finally healed up I would send him somewhere for something.

I was also figuring our that the water hole was good for soaking, relaxing, and even for bathing, who knew? I was starting to see the glitter in Calico's eyes again and was really looking forward to the OK sign. It would be soon I hoped.

The wedding was quickly approaching and Calico was beside herself trying to make all of the arrangements. I pretty much just stayed out of the way and tried to keep Ike from hurting himself because he had sure become absent minded. I had to go so far as to put him on fence repair, he had neared gotten crushed while tending the Clydesdales and not paying attention.

Danny had left for the Golden Aspen and took a few mustangs with him and left the rest according to my agreement with McKane. Lone Wolf was working out well and was even being accepted in town, to an extent.

One thing had me seriously worried, some of the tribes in the upper plains were beginning to show signs of rebellion, and while I agreed with the issues that that thought we unfair, the ranch would still be just any other ranch to them.

I tried to take it easy like Doc had suggested, but with two weddings coming up it wasn't easy. It didn't help that Ella left with Danny to return to the Golden Aspen, those two would be missed. Thankfully several other ladies pitched in to help, including Sonora, Skipper, and Lizzy. They, along with Cora, Clara, and Sally made for some fun sewing parties. Cheyenne felt kind of left out when us women would get together, he was starting to get a little pouty since he wasn't getting much attention from me. I would just send him to keep Karl company, Karl was a little depressed as well being cooped up in the house. The two of them would pour some whiskey, light a couple of cigars, and talk about how they didn't understand women. Fine with me, it kept them out from underfoot.

Eddie wanted to throw a men's only party for Ike before the wedding, and I encouraged Cheyenne to get involved with that. At first Eddie wanted to have it in town at the saloon, but some of the older men pointed out that it might be difficult for any of them to find their way back to the ranch afterward, as large amounts of liquor were bound to be consumed. Finn suggested cleaning up one of the barns for it, and even volunteered to do a lot of the work. For some reason, Finn and Junior both seemed determined to prove that they really wanted to be part of the family. I still didn't trust that it wasn't the money they were most interested in, but if Finn was willing to clean up one of the barns, I saw no reason to not let him. Cheyenne was a little shocked by his uncle's offer as well, but agreed to pitch in and help out as much as possible.

Tommy wanted to help too, I had the feeling he did because he was hoping to be allowed to attend, he really looked up to Ike. Tommy was getting to the point where he was more interested in hanging around the younger hands, and less interested in playing with his little sister and the babies. I understood that, he was getting older, but I still wasn't sure he was old enough to be around the men when they were drinking. Maybe he could go for a little while early on, as long as Cheyenne sent him home before things started getting wild, as they most likely would.

We still hadn't been able to interpret my dream, but I was sure it meant...well...something. It kept reoccurring, and it seemed like every time I had it I woke up facing towards the east. Oh well, the meaning would come to us sooner or later, now we had other things to worry about. Cheyenne's main concern every night was how much longer he was going to have to wait for me to want to do something besides sleep. Finally the night came when I decided I couldn't take his sad looks anymore, and after we had gotten the kids to bed I whispered to him that maybe we could retire a little early as well. But when we got to our room, we found Midnight and her whole litter crashed out on our bed, sound asleep. The second Cheyenne tried to start moving kittens to the floor, Midnight woke up and turned into a huge ball of fury, teeth, and claws. Poor guy, I swear he almost had tears in his eyes when I suggested it might be safer to leave the cats where they were and find a couple of couches to spend the night on instead....

I was ready to kill that stinking cat! Boy was I furious, wait this long and then a cat gets in the way. It was a good mouser, but! We headed down stairs and with each step down the stairs I was thinking of how to make this work. The huge pocket doors did have locks on them...... and my puppy dog look was getting to Calico.

We opened the box and just sort of stared at the contents. Maybe I should have had more of a talk with Doc. We did finally figure it out, and well a gentleman just doesn't have to tell everything. We did sleep well that night, even downstairs on the davenport.

I went into town after breakfast to get supplies for the party and wedding that were coming up very soon. I had a talk with the sheriff concerning Finn and the men who had been looking for him as they passed through Fort Collins. Fortunately, there were none in town that Tom knew about, although there had been several that had passed through. I told him of the three men who had bushwacked Karl and Grumpy and described them to him and he just shook his head in acknowledgement. He knew they were up to no good and was glad to hear that they wouldn't be causing anyone grief again.

I left the sheriff's office and went to the dry goods store for the things I needed there and from there went to the saloon for the refreshments for the occasions to be celebrated on the ranch. The second I walked into the saloon I knew something was bad wrong. Casey the barkeep didn't call me by name and only slightly nodded to acknowledge me. There were two men, two boisterous men, wanting information about the Culpepper Ranch. I stepped up to the bar and ordered a beer and listened, trying to find out how much the men knew.

They soon turned their attention to me, after they noticed that I was a half breed. They knew more than I had hoped because they knew the owner was a half breed and wanted to know if that was me. I turned to face them as they approached from the other side of the bar. Unkept, one side arm each, and both of them had a knife stowed in their boot tops. What dismayed me though was the look in their eyes. I leaned back against the bar with my elbows on it, my fingers touching my pistol grips.

"We've been sent to kill Finn Culpepper and anybody that gets in our way" the bigger one spit out. I shook my head slightly knowing that this wasn't going to end well. "Dying ain't much of a living boys" I told them studying them intently.

At breakfast I was glad to see that Cheyenne was finally in a much better mood. The children didn't seem to notice much, but Finn and Junior sure did. Cheyenne was practically singing as he said grace, and both Finn and Junior's eyebrows shot up when they heard that. I couldn't help but wonder why we let those two eat with the family instead of the other hands, but at least they kept their mouths shut. Ike and Sally only had eyes for each other, and Laura had her nose buried in a book. She was planning on taking the test for a teacher's certificate soon, and spent just about every waking moment studying.

Later Cheyenne started getting ready to make a trip into town, but I made him wait until I could make a list of the things we needed. I don't think shopping was really on his mind, but as long as he was headed there anyway he could pick up a few things and save me an extra trip. I had things to do myself, not the least of which was to get started on a nice, large, comfy cat bed for Midnight and her kittens. If I could convince her to use it, that might be the only thing saving them all from being banished back to the barns.

While I was working on that, I happened to glance out the window and see Stands Alone come riding up with Running Bear, and the two of them went straight to Lone Wolf, working with some of the horses in a corral. The three of them spoke for a couple of minutes, then I saw Lone Wolf go and say something to Prairie Dawg, who was walking by. Next thing I knew Lone Wolf and Prairie Dawg were leaping on a couple of horses, and the two of them and Running Bear galloped off towards town. Stands Alone headed for the house, and I rushed outside to meet him, and find out what was going on.

"Soars with Eagles is going to need his friends, but all will be well in the end," he told me, but refused to explain more than that. I had learned long ago to trust anything he said, but I still didn't have to like it that he told me so little. We sat in silence on the porch for a while, and Hop Sing brought us out some lemonade, which Stands Alone had taken a liking to. I didn't know if that would loosen his tongue like whiskey did for everyone else, but it was worth a shot. Finally his glass was empty, but all he would say then was, "You are being called to the east...far to the east, but you must take all your family with you. Why, the spirits will not say, I just know that you must go. Do not worry, you will have a safe trip, and return soon enough." With that the elderly medicine man got up, mounted his horse, and rode off without another word. If only I could understand what he meant....

"What are you boys up to now?" came from an older voice on the stairwell to the rooms over the saloon. "Did you find out what happened to your brothers yet?" "We think we found him pa, the breed they call Culpepper!" was the oldest one's reply. I was thinking, two of them maybe, but three would be iffy. About then I felt the nudge from Casey's scattergun on my arm and glancing down quickly saw the double barrel pointing towards the man coming down the stairs.

"This him?" the older man almost snickered. "That would be me" I told him. You best tell you two boys here to settle down or you''re likely to loose these two too."

The man was no fool as he quickly took notice of the situation, especially Casey's scattergun pointed directly in his direction.

"Your boy's bushwacked two of my men and even drew down on my wife, I reckon they got what they had coming to them." I told the man a little more assured with Casey standing behind me.

The youngest one yelled "We can take him pa, really." and with that went for his pistol. My pistols seem to leap out of the holsters in unison and had the boy and his brother dead to rights before he could clear leather. "No need for that Culpepper, they're just boys" the old man blurted out.

"The next time your boys make that mistake, they'll be buried in a man sized casket" I told the man as I decocked and holstered my pistols.

My curiosity wouldn't let me relax, I had to find out what was going on with Cheyenne. I had just nursed Ruth not that long ago, I had a while before she would likely need me again. Even if she did, I had seen Two Birds and Padre sneaking in to the indoor waterhole, so help was nearby if necessary. I had time to ride to town even if Doc didn't like it, the horse would be doing all the work.

I headed for the barn to saddle up Rascal, but as I was approaching Tommy came out of the barn. "Something is wrong with Uncle Finn," he told me, a worried look on his face. I quickly headed inside to find out what was wrong, and saw Finn sitting on a hay bale, leaning back against one of the stalls with his eyes closed. As I approached he barely opened them, but the smell of whiskey was overpowering. Nothing wrong with him except he was drunk, oh wonderful, why now?

I told Tommy that Finn would be fine, but he still needed to go fetch Doc for me. Obviously I wasn't going to get to go to town, all I could do was pray Cheyenne would be all right. As I was waiting for Doc, Biblepuncher and Cora came in, they'd been out for a ride themselves. I asked Biblepuncher if he would go to town for me and find out what was going on, and he didn't hesitate for a moment before climbing back in the saddle. Cora waited with me for Doc, but we backed a few feet away from Finn, the smell was overpowering.

Doc showed up a few minutes later, and got some of the other men to help him move Finn to the bunkhouse, Doc would stay with him for a little while to make sure he was ok. Then I went looking for Junior, and some answers. Finn did like to drink, but he'd been careful to not do so much of it during the day, up until now. I had a feeling this had something to do with his son, but Finn was in no shape to tell me what had happened.

I cornered Junior on the front porch, he had been spending most of his time there since he really couldn't do much with both his arm and leg in splints. "How are you and Finn getting along?" I asked, not wasting any time on small talk. Junior sighed, and didn't answer at first. Finally he said, "Well, not so good. He seems to be trying to make up for all those years he was gone in just a few days, but he's being a little overbearing about it. He can't really make up for it, he even admitted he could have come back when I was a kid and take some responsibility for me, but he didn't. Now he thinks I'm going to act like he's the most important person in my life? I don't need a drunk gambler treating me like I'm still 7 years old, and trying to run my life. Maybe it would have been better if he'd just admitted it but not come back here, I don't need him as much as he thinks I do."

I thought about that for a while, then simply told him, "Well, maybe it's Finn that needs you, not the other way around." With that I left our cousin to think about what I said, and I went inside to wait for the men to come back, hopefully with no new bullet holes in any of them.

The sheriff came through the doors to the saloon just as I was holstering my pistols. He wasn't pleased with the Wilson's who had just arrived in town and were already making trouble. "I want you out of town long before sundown" he told them in no uncertain terms. He followed it with "Casey, no more for them either, now I want you out of this establishment, pronto!"

Tom stepped aside from the door and the both of us watched the three men slowly ease their way out of the saloon. After they had left Tom told me, "You know these guys are going to be trouble, and soon." I nodded silently and down the whiskey that Casey had just poured for me. I set the glass down just as Prairie Dawg, Lone Wolf and Running Bear burst into the saloon. You could tell that they were expecting trouble so I tried to re-assure them that everything was ok, but when Biblepuncher came in a few minutes later I figured it was time to let them all in on what had happened not long before.

Prairie Dawg started counting and said "Three of them, five of us plus Tom, I see no problem.

Well, I had Junior's side of the story, but I needed Finn's as well before I could start thinking of anything that might help the two. I headed over to the bunkhouse, but Doc said Finn would just need to sleep it off, and that might take a while. While we were talking, Tommy came in carrying a whiskey bottle. "Mother, I think this might be what was making Uncle Finn sick, I saw him drinking out of it earlier. I tried a sip, and it tastes really bad!"

"Oh Tommy, you didn't..." I exclaimed without thinking, it just figured that the lad had taken a drink of Finn's booze. Of course Tommy immediately panicked, thinking either he was going to get sick too or at the very least in big trouble. Doc had to explain that one small sip was not going to have any effect on the boy, other than a bad taste in his mouth. I quickly reassured my middle son that he wasn't in any trouble, but to please not try drinking any more out of any of Uncle Finn's bottles. I would have to get Cheyenne to reinforce that as well when he got home.

If he got home....where were those men? Didn't they know I was worried sick? I felt so helpless, stuck at home not having any idea what was going on. I headed back towards the house, and met Two Birds and Padre just coming out of the little cabin in back. "That there indoor pond yu got taint half bad," Padre told me, grinning ear to ear. "Smartest idea either of ya probably ever had...." It was rather amazing how much Two Birds could blush, but she was giggling as well, so I had to laugh too. "Glad you both enjoyed it, you'll have to try it again sometime," I told them, then bid them farewell as they headed home.

Back inside the house, I finally put the finishing touches on the cat bed, and went looking for Midnight. After putting her in it and petting her for a few minutes, she got the idea that this thing was for her. She went and rounded up all her kittens and put them in the bed, then curled up next to her brood and before long all the felines were sound asleep. I was glad to see that she picked up on the idea so quickly, the cat was much smarter than Cheyenne was willing to give her credit for. If only we could get them to use it at night, problem solved, and my husband would be happier. If he ever got home that is.....

The seven of us sat for a while talking about the three men, a father and two sons. They had already lost three members of their family weeks before, and now here they were looking for revenge. The only question was when would it break open? We were all pretty hungry and decided to head for the diner down the street a ways.

Well, it was sooner rather than later for the attempted revenge to take place as the three men stepped out into the street in front of us. I had had enough killing and called out to them, "Just what were you after Finn for anyway?" "He owes me fifty dollars" the father replied. "Fifty dollars?" I hollered, "You're willing to see your last two sons die for fifty dollars?" "Well, it's the principle of it" the old man replied. I called out to him, "would you take fifty dollars each to end this here and now?"

The two sons looked at each other and then said to their paw, "That's more than we ever seen Paw, tell him yes, please." The old man thought for a second and finally smiled, "You've got a deal, can you show me where my other sons are buried?" "No I can't, the coyotes and buzzards got them, we were in no shape to take care of burying them" I told him almost apologetically. "They weren't supposed to do what they did anyway, you got our money?" the old man spoke with some disgust until it came to asking for the money.

Best money I had ever spent, well except for the box from Denver. I had been feeling like I was full of dead men's bones lately and it was a relief to not shed blood again.

There three men rode out of town as soon as I gave them the money and thought, all this bloodshed for fifty dollars?

We ate at the diner and then headed back to the ranch with thoughts of the inside waterhole dancing through my head!

It was almost dinnertime before I finally heard horses approaching, and I ran outside to greet the men. Cheyenne had barely gotten off his horse before I threw myself in his arms, thankful he was home safe. The other men got a good laugh out of that, but I didn't care, I'd been so worried. Cheyenne took my hand and led me up to the porch, then told me everything that had happened in town. It figured that it had something to do with Finn, but I was glad to hear they'd been able to avoid any more bloodshed.

Then it was my turn, and I told him about finding Finn passed out drunk in the barn, and my talk with Junior. "Just how much trouble are those two going to cause us? If they weren't family...." he started, and I nodded in agreement. "But they are family, Cheyenne, and we can't just throw them out. The right thing to do is to try and help them both, I just don't know how to go about it. I think we're going to have to have a nice long talk with the two of them together, but it's going to have to wait until Finn is sober." Cheyenne didn't look like he was really looking forward to that idea, but he just went to wash up for dinner.

Finn did not join us for the meal, he was still passed out. Junior did, but he didn't seem in any mood to talk, so the conversation around the table was mainly about the upcoming weddings. Cheyenne was in a hurry to get the meal over with, he'd already told me he wanted to spend some time soaking in the indoor water hole, but that he'd prefer some company while he did it. I offered to send Midnight out there with him, just seeing the look on his face when I said it was hilarious! For some reason he didn't think it was funny....

Late that night after we'd fallen asleep, my dream of being an eagle returned, but with one difference this time. As I was soaring above those lush green hills I'd seen before, I looked down and noticed three men riding along a road. I swooped down for a closer look, and realized it was Cheyenne, Finn, and Junior. They continued down the road a ways, until they came to a cemetery. After dismounting, they looked around at the gravestones until they came to a large one surrounded closely by a few smaller ones. Then they stood with their heads bowed for a while before climbing back on their horses and riding back the way they'd came. Just where was this place?

The water hole felt really good that evening, we hadn't been able to use it together for it's full intent for much longer than I cared to admit. I slept like the proverbial rock that night and awoke to see Calico sitting upright in the bed.

"I had another dream last night" she started, "I saw you, Finn and Jr. riding together until you came to a small graveyard where the three of you dismounted and then knelt there for a while before heading back. What does that mean? and where is it?"

I thought for a second, "That's the cemetary at the homestead in Culpepper Virginia. I father to me about it years ago, but I never got to go there to see it for myself." "Maybe a trip back east to Virginia and the homestead is in order." You would have thought I had given Calico another huge diamond ring! He eyes lit up like the sun as she started giggling about the trip east.

It was nice to have the mystery solved....yes, from what I had heard about Virginia it sure fit what I'd been seeing. I'd never been that far east so I didn't know much about it, but Frank had told Cheyenne all about where the family had come from. I was more excited about the idea before he pointed out that we'd have to take the train, and it would be a much longer trip then to Denver. He did offer to get the family a private car, that would definitely help, even though it might be rather crowded. Not only would we have to take all the kids (including Ike) but Kate as well. I also was sure this had everything to do with Finn and Junior, they would need to go as well, whether they wanted to or not. I thought it would be nice to invite Biblepuncher and Cora too, they deserved a honeymoon.

Breakfast that morning wasn't very pleasant, Finn had a bad hangover, and Junior seemed to want to torment him about it. "Don't you sass me, boy..." Finn started to say, until Cheyenne banged his fist down on the table. "That's enough out of both of you at the table, we're supposed to be breaking our fast together as a family. Save your arguing for later!" Not only did that shut those two up, but the kids all were rather quiet for a change. I'd forgotten how peaceful silence could be!

Things were shaping up for the weddings very nicely, and I was hoping both would go off without any problems. The trip would have to wait for after, but that would give us time to make plans, and arrange for the private train car and someplace to stay in Virginia. Cheyenne said he would send some telegrams to set up both. He also promised that we'd try and come back in time for Danny and Ella's wedding, stopping off at the Golden Aspen on the way home. I really couldn't wait to show that to the kids, and I knew Cheyenne was looking forward to seeing where his family came from as well.

As for family, it didn't take long after breakfast was over for Finn and Junior to start arguing again. They were over by one of the corrals, and we could hear them from inside the house. Cheyenne decided he had better go intervene, just then Junior took a swing at his father. "Oh fer cryin' out loud, those two are going to drive me crazy long before we ever get anywhere near Virginia!" Cheyenne exclaimed as he ran to put a stop to it before anyone got hurt.

I bounded off the porch without touching a step as I went, those two were about to see a Culpepper's temper real soon. Jr. was about to swing at Finn again but I jumped in front of Finn, blocked Jr.'s roundabout and then knocked Jr. on his butt with an uppercut to his chin. Finn protested, "I can take care of myself,,,,", I laid him out too. Jr. was having a hard time getting up, after there were still splints on his arm and leg and Finn just sat there rubbing his jaw.

"Did you have to hit the boy so hard" Finn finally asked me as he was helping Jr. up.

"Did I get your attention Jr?" I asked him. "Is that the best you've got?" was Jr.'s hasty reply. Finn knew what was coming and ducked back out of the way as I laid Jr. out again. Finn, being a little wiser with age said, "You sure got my attention, don't know about hard head's tho,,,,,OUCH!" I laid him out again too!

This time Jr. was a little more cagey, "You've got my attention, but why?" I think he saw the fire in my eyes because he quickly answered his own question with, "Oh, you don't want us making a ruckus on the ranch?" I knew my fist was going to be awfully sore but I laid him out again. He looked at his father, Finn, and asked him, "You going to let him hit me all day?"

Finn started to get up but he caught my raised eyebrows before he got to his feet. "No son, he won't have to," and then Finn laid Jr. out. "Guess we've both got to learn our boundaries son" Finn told Jr. as he offered a hand to help Jr. up. Jr. acted like he wasn't about to let Finn help him until I asked him again, "did I get your attention?"

That time Jr. just replied, "yes sir, you did."

"Good, now you too work it out or you surely won't like what I bring next time! Oh, and after the weddings we're going back east to VA, and the two of you are going with us. We've got a private car ordered, but if you just snivel you'll both ride in a freight car, there and back!" Then I stormed off, trying to cool down before I got back to the house. Hop Sing had watched the whole thing, "I go fix water hole for you to calm down in, take towels for Calico too" he said loud enough for Calico to hear. Dang, he knew me well, just those few words and I could feel the angst leaving my soul.

Tommy had started my way to tell on his sister, fortunately for him Calico corralled him and told him to tell Kate, that she and daddy had work to do. Oh lord, how I loved that gal!

Finn and Junior got off a lot easier than they thought they did, at least Cheyenne only used his fists and not a gun. If they kept up their bickering they might just be taking dancing lessons before too much longer, and not with a woman. I'd even be willing to give Cheyenne a hand, or rather a pistol or two, with that. Doc did make Junior come over to his office after, to make sure his leg and arm didn't sustain any further damage. It would serve him right if he had, but I was hoping he'd have at least the leg splint off before the trip.

Cheyenne needed to calm down a bit after that, but instead he decided I needed to join him in the water hole. That usually didn't calm him down at all, in fact the exact opposite, but it might get his mind off his uncle and cousin, so we went for a good long soak, among other things. It was a good thing I'd gotten all that rest at Doc's, I was starting to get the feeling I wouldn't be getting much sleep for the next few weeks while Cheyenne made up for lost time.

Everything was set for Ike and Sally's wedding that upcoming weekend, and Biblepuncher and Cora's the following weekend. Both brides were getting nervous, and so was Ike. Cheyenne had a talk with some of the other men, and warned them to keep an eye on Ike, both to make sure he didn't do anything absentmindedly and hurt himself, and to make sure he didn't run off because of cold feet. I had the feeling that Ike was more intimidated by the thought of having Cheyenne as a father-in-law than he was by the thought of getting married though!

After dinner, Cheyenne and I decided to take a short ride up to Running Bear's camp. Although we were looking forward to the trip, we were concerned about the rumors of unrest among the tribes to the north. Not only would all five men of the Culpepper family be gone for a while (might as well start counting Ike), but Biblepuncher as well. Karl would be in charge while we were gone, with Prairie Dawg and Blazen Vaquero as his assistants, but the ranch would still be shorthanded. Under normal circumstances we could depend on Running Bear and Lone Wolf to help us out, and even Stands Alone and Padre, but we couldn't very well ask them to fight against their own people if it came to that.

Stands Alone seemed to know why we were there before we got the chance to say anything, but that wasn't all that surprising. He did his best to assure us that if any Cheyenne came onto the ranch, he and Running Bear would do everything they could to dissuade them from causing any harm, at least to our property or our people. He did warn us that he would not be likely to have much influence with any other tribes though, but did promise that if any tribe other than Cheyenne did cause trouble, that his family would not hesitate to side with our men. We would have to be satisfied with this agreement, but the only other thing we could do was pray it would never come to that.

I tried later that day to get Doc to put larger splints on Jr's arm and leg, maybe that would hinder him enough to behave. I knew Finn appreciated my ability to convince him but I doubted Jr. had learned a lesson at all. Doc agreed and said he would figure out how to convince Jr. it was the best thing to do. I laughed and told Doc I'd handle it.

Afterwards I found Finn and Jr. to tell them about the trip east. Jr. was still upset about being laid out so many times, "bet you wouldn't try that if I wasn't all bound up in these splints!" he blurted out as Finn and I approached him. He nearly got it from me again, but Finn beat me to it and backhanded the upstart. I helped him up and promised him a rematch with me just as soon as Doc removed his splints. Finn told him he was crazy, and he was because he was looking forward to it.

I told them of our plans to visit the Culpepper homestead in VA and Finn started to well up while trying to hold back tears. Jr. wasn't so impressed. "You mean I get to visit the homestead of the high and might Culpeppers? he blurted out. He was getting smarter because that time he managed to duck under Finn's backhand, but he forgot the return trip and Finn caught him in the jaw with his fist.

I was laughing so hard my side hurt almost as much as my hand was from hitting my hardheaded cousin.

Junior just didn't seem to want to learn the lesson Cheyenne was trying to teach him, and it would have been funny if it wasn't so infuriating. At least Finn seemed to have gotten the point, and he was looking forward to the trip to Virginia. That made sense, as he had grown up there, and although he'd left years early and never went back, he was getting to the point in his life that he was ready to return. I wasn't sure if it would bring the older man any peace, but it was worth a shot.

Finn had done a fine job of getting one of the barns ready for Ike's party, and at the same time me and Clara had been planning a similar party for Cora and Sally. Both parties would be held at the same time, but the ladies would use the house. Doc had not been happy to find out that several bottles of wine had been set aside for the women, and he gave me a long lecture about how I shouldn't be drinking right now. "Oh, just because I can't have any doesn't mean the other ladies can't! You just go take care of your patient before he gets his bell rung again..." I told Doc, he was really starting to get annoying. I wasn't going to do anything that would hurt Ruth....but one small glass really wouldn't be that big of a deal, would it?

Cheyenne had agreed to let Tommy attend the men's party, if only for a little while. He'd come up with the idea of having Tommy shadow Junior, maybe the boy could keep our cousin occupied enough for at least the beginning of the party to where he'd be less likely to say something that would get him hit again. Eddie and Lone Wolf had thoughts of getting poor Ike really drunk, so I took Cheyenne aside and asked him to not let Ike drink so much that he wouldn't be able to go through with the wedding the following day. Cheyenne looked over to where Ike and Sally were standing over by one of the corrals, and told me, "You know, the way he's looking at her, I don't think that will be too much of a problem. Kind of reminds me of how I must have been looking at you right before we got married..." All I could do was laugh, I did see the similarities there!

Dinner was a barbeque out in the yard, and everyone had a fine meal. Then the men all headed for the barn, and us ladies headed for the parlor. Sally was a nervous wreck, thankfully Cora was pretty calm but then again she had another week to wait. Although Sally was a little young, I still made sure she got one of the first glasses of wine poured, maybe it would calm her nerves a little. Then I had to agree to let Laura have some, just to be fair, and I offered some to Little Flower but she declined. The rest of the ladies didn't hesitate to have some, and I had Clara pour me about half a glass. Kate had gotten Rose and the twins to bed, the baby would be staying with us ladies as everyone wanted to take turns holding her.

We all laughed and talked for the longest time, and were really enjoying not having to worry about the men overhearing our conversation. For a bunch of ladies, the talk really started to get a little racy, and before long we were all giggling so hard we could barely talk. Cora seemed to blush a few times but it didn't bother Sally so much, she'd heard far worse at the brothel she'd worked in. Sally did turn to me at one point and ask, "It will be different, won't it? I mean, with Ike...."

"Yes honey, it will be different, you and Ike love each other, it's nowhere near the same thing you went through before," I told her, and the other married ladies all agreed. I was so proud of how much that girl had changed, and what a fine young woman she was becoming. Ike was a fine young man too, and we all thought they made a wonderful couple. It was finally time for the two brides-to-be to start opening the presents we brought for them, and both received quite a few lovely items. I had waited to be the last one to give them something, killing the time by having another half glass of wine, though I'd lost count of how many half glasses I'd had. Finally they started unwrapping my gifts, and I thought they must have both gotten an instant sunburn from the fireplace when they saw what I had made each of them. Cora and Sally may have been blushing, but Biblepuncher and Ike were sure gonna like seeing their ladies in those nightgowns!

About that time Ruth woke up and was hungry, but Kate took one look at me and suggested that maybe it would be best if Laura went up to the camp to ask Two Birds if she could come over. Had I really had that much wine? Oh, great, if Doc found out I was in for another lecture....how did that happen? I guess I had been having too much fun, and I hoped that Cheyenne was having a good time too and that their party wasn't getting out of hand....

Out in the barn we were having a good time, Ike was pretty nervous and was wanting to try to stave it off by having a few drinks. After the first one I pulled him aside and gave him this advice, "If you want to be able to perform tomorrow then you'd best not have any more alcohol."

He looked a bit perplexed, "But I don't have to sing tomorrow, do I?"

I laughed a bit, and then whispered to him, "If you want 'that'' to work tomorrow is what I meant."

Ike got big eyed, looked at the drink in his hand, and then he handed it to me, "I've waited this long, I'm not going to wait a day longer than I have to!" he said as he turned a bit red.

After that Ike was more than content drinking sarsaparilla for the rest of the evening, even for the many toasts that were offered up to him that evening.

Jr. on the other hand had had more than a few more than he should have and I overheard him ask Tommy, "Does your dad hit you all the time too?"

Tommy had a look of surprise on his face as he told Jr., "My father has never hit me, not once! I've seen him hit you though, what did you do that was so bad that it made my father hit you?"

Jr. was just about to tell Tommy something when I put my hand on Jr.'s shoulder and told Tommy, "It's time for you to go to the house now Tommy, thank you for keeping Jr. company, try to stay out of the ladies' hair when you get there, ok?"

Tommy started to protest but he saw me raise my eyebrows and nod towards the house. "Yes sir" he said slowly and then took off like a banshee for the house.

I turned to Jr. and asked him if he wanted to say something, I could see the wheels turning in his head, but for the first time he showed he might have learned something from our few "talks" the other day. "No sir" was all he said before limping away.

Finn had been watching from the corner of the barn and came over to join me, "Think he'll ever learn?" he asked me.

"How long did it take you?" I asked Finn. Poor man just shook his head side to side, "This is going to be a long journey isn't it?" he said dejectedly. "Hope he got more of his mother's blood than mine" he continued as he looked down at the floor.

"All depends how he turns it Finn, I'm as hard headed as any Culpepper ever was, and I've turned out ok, he just needs guidance, gentle guidance that he doesn't know he's getting, capeesh?

"I'm trying, really I am, but it's hard and I keep hearing the past calling me back, and all those memories, they're so hard to forget" Finn said.

I put my arm around his shoulders, "Come on, let's go have a talk with Biblepuncher, I know just the thing for what ails you." I told him as I led him over to Biblepuncher.

The sun was up and shining brightly the next morning when Cheyenne shook me awake. "Cali, Kate's at the door with Ruth, she's hungry," he said. I tried opening my eyes, and just as quickly shut them again and threw my arm across them. "Now?" I muttered, not wanting to get up. "Just how much wine did you have last night?" he asked me, concerned. "Enough that I don't want to talk to Doc any time soon," I told him, knowing fully well I had a lecture coming.

"Well, I won't tell Doc, but what's he going to say if he sees Two Birds coming over?" I thought about that for a while, then told him, "Just tell Doc that I'm busy helping Sally get ready...or better yet tell him Two Birds is coming over to help Sally get ready, he doesn't need to know who's giving the baby her breakfast!" I knew I'd made a big mistake drinking so much last night, but it felt good to relax and have fun with my friends, it didn't seem like us ladies got many chances to get together like that and just have a good time.

Cheyenne offered to bring me my breakfast in bed, but I knew I needed to get up and get moving, too much going on today to justify laying around, even if I did have a hangover. By the time I managed to drag myself to the dining room, most of the rest of the family was almost done eating. Except Sally, she obviously had no appetite, poor girl looked scared half to death. Laura was doing her best to calm her sister down, but Sally still wasn't touching her food. For once I wasn't about to lecture her about not wasting it, I just took a couple of the pancakes, half her eggs, and all of her sausage and put them on my plate. Not that I felt like eating either, but I needed the energy.

So that the bride and groom would not see each other until the wedding it had been arranged for Ike to spend last night at Eddie and Little Flower's house, but I noticed that Finn was not here either. After Junior had excused himself I asked Cheyenne about that, concerned that the two men may have been arguing again. "No, I think Finn might just still be asleep, he stayed up quite late last night, talking to Biblepuncher," he told me. Biblepuncher? That rather shocked me, as Finn had shown no interest whatsoever in hearing much of anything the preacher had to say up til this point. Still, if anyone could help Finn deal with his demons, Biblepuncher could.

Little Flower showed up as I was finishing what little I had managed to eat, to give us a hand getting Sally and Laura ready. Laura was the maid of honor, and Eddie was supposed to be the best man, though from what Little Flower told us Eddie was in even worse shape than I was. Hopefully he'd be recovered enough by the ceremony for him to participate. If not, Lone Wolf could be a possible substitute, but I hoped Eddie would be able to pull himself together. Karl finally came stumbling in just as the rest of us were leaving, it looked like he'd enjoyed himself a little too much the previous evening as well. I just hoped we'd all gotten enough drinking done this time so that we wouldn't repeat the experience the following weekend.

"Cheyenne, I was just heading over here and I saw Tom approaching from town, and he doesn't look real happy. Maybe you'd better go find out what's up," Karl said, before sitting down and piling what food was left on the table onto his plate. Why did it not surprise me that he was more interested in eating than in finding out what brought Tom out here this early? Oh well, Cheyenne could go find that out, I needed to get upstairs to help the girls start getting ready.

Tom had wasted no time on getting to the ranch on his way from town. Crossfire saw him coming and as Tom dismounted Crossfire took his mount to the barn to rub him town. I convinced Tom to eat with us, if Karl had left anything that is.

"It's those stinking Wilsons, they left after you paid them all to leave, but they drank until it was gone and then figured they'd go to the well again. They're still in town liquored up but they're making lots of noises about coming out here tomorrow during the wedding hoping you'll give them more money to go away."

I almost got a word out when Calico piped up, "NO, you are not going into town! Period! Excuse me, but that is your job Tom." With all the stress on Calico I knew far better than to disagree with her and just shrugged my shoulders at Tom.

In my mind I started to make plans though in case the Wilsons were to show up tomorrow during the wedding. Two men with glasses, and each with a Sharps and Winchesters. Men also on each copula on every barn. If someone was foolish enough to try something we would be able to see them from a long way off and if need be deal with them long before they could reach the ranch.

Everything and everybody was just about ready for the ceremony. It had been a lot of work, but it was going to be worth it to see Sally and Ike become man and wife. I left the girls in the parlor to wait for Cheyenne, while I headed for the church. It was going to be rather crowded in there, with all the ranch folks crowded in there, but that's where Sally had wanted to have the ceremony. Cheyenne was hitching up the surrey to give the girls a ride, so their dresses wouldn't get dirty walking up there.

Eddie had managed to make it, though he looked almost as uncomfortable as Ike did. In Ike's case, I wasn't sure if it was nerves or just that he was not used to having to wear a suit. I wondered who had tied his tie for him, I doubted he knew how. Rose was having trouble standing still, she was so excited to be the flower girl. Biblepuncher looked ready, so I took my seat on the front bench next to Little Flower. Kate had the baby, and Little Flower and Cora were holding the twins, though Cora was having a hard time getting Mathew to sit still. Everyone else was getting anxious, but it was only a few minutes before I heard the surrey approaching.

Then just as it pulled up outside, we all heard the sound of gunfire. We also heard Cheyenne shouting, "Get inside, quick!" then both girls came running in, holding their dresses up so they could move faster. Cheyenne was obviously covering them, as we then heard the sound of his rifle. All the men jumped up and headed for the door, thankfully all of them had come armed. The women started hitting the floor, and dragging the children down too for safety. Biblepuncher leaned down and grabbed something from behind the pulpit, to my surprise it was two rifles, he kept one and brought me the other.

"Never hurts to stay prepared," he told me. "Stay here, and if anyone you don't recognize tries to get in, do what you have to...", then he followed the rest of the men out the door. I had no idea what was going on out there, and I didn't like not knowing. Had the Wilsons been stupid enough to decide to attack us now? Or was it someone else?

I heard the first shot and couldn't believe the direction in which it had come. We had been expecting any trouble to come from the east, Ft. Collins. The attack was coming from the west. Crossfire called down from the cupalo, "ten riders" and then he opened up with his Sharps. I heard the other men open up as well and then I saw the riders. Nine riders now bearing down on the ranch only firing sparsely, trying to fire only if a good opportunity presented itself.

These men were well trained I thought as I brought my rifle to arms and choosing the closet rider opened fire on him, holding him in my sights and firing repeatedly until he fell from his horse into a heap on the ground.

I watched as Buford, Grumpy's cattle dog was matching stride with one of the horse's strides and then leaped into the air and latched his teeth into the rider's arm. With a death grip on the man's arm Buford managed to pull the rider from his horse and then began tearing at the man's throat. Wood splintering above my head broke my attention back to the now seven riders advancing through the ranch as if on a death march.

One rider had broken off from the group and was on a path towards the church, Biblepuncher stepped off the porch and with both pistols drawn began walking towards the rider firing as he walked. The rider tried to return his fire but the third or fourth shot from Biblepuncher found the man's chest, followed by another quick shot and the man rolled backwards off of his mount........

First things first, I had to make sure all the women and children were safe. Most of the women were huddled under the benches, those without children were helping the mothers protect their young ones. Sally and Laura were helping Kate, Jenny, and Little Flower with my little ones. To my surprise, I glanced a few rows back and saw that Tommy was trying to assist Grumpy Old Man get down on the floor, it wasn't easy for the older man with his ankle still heavily bandaged from being broken a few weeks before. I was a little worried about Tommy, but proud of him for having the courage to help Grumpy, as Buford seemed to be nowhere in sight.

I headed for one of the windows, and was joined by Cora, Clara, and Lizzy. All three had managed to come up with pistols, from where I wasn't sure, although the one Lizzy had was probably Grumpy's. We all carefully peeked outside, and I figured out where Buford was. That was one brave dog, and I made a mental note to make sure he got a nice big steak all of his own at the banquet afterwards...that is, if we ever got the wedding off.

Our men were all outside the church now, but they were drawing heavy fire from the seven remaining riders. Then Biblepuncher brought one more down, six remained but they were heavily armed and all good shots. The hands were all having to dive for cover around the outside of the church as quickly as they could, so it was a few seconds before they could return fire. Cheyenne and the men that had pulled guard duty in the cupolas were trying to provide cover, but even they had to reload at some point. It thought about seeing if I could take down a rider or two, but all I had was the ammo already in the rifle, plus what the other ladies had in their pistols, so I knew better than to use it all unless necessary to protect those still in the church. Cora, Clara, and Lizzy were waiting for my signal, but I wasn't going to give it just yet. "Give the men some time, we'll only fire if we have to," I told them.

Just who were these men? According to Cheyenne, the Wilsons were a father and two sons, and his description of them didn't seem to match the riders I saw. Unless the Wilsons' had hired these ruffians, but I doubted they could have afforded it. The riders were pulling off some pretty impressive riding, which made it hard for our defenders to find targets. I was starting to get a little worried, then I noticed a few of the riders glancing over to one side of the church, and as they did they peeled off and headed back the way they had come.

What in the world was going on out there? From my vantage point, I couldn't see a thing, so I made a quick dash for the back door of the church, the one that led to Biblepuncher's little cabin. Opening the door a crack, I saw that there was a large group of indian braves approaching on horseback, that must have been what the riders were seeing. The braves weren't attacking anyone yet, but they did all have rifles in hand, ready to start shooting at any moment. I took a closer look, and sure enough the braves appeared to be Cheyenne warriors. I knew Running Bear and Lone Wolf were out there with the rest of the hands, and I sure hoped that Running Bear knew at least some of these newcomers!

The attackers turned quickly and headed back off in the direction from which they had come. I ran to see what had made them turn and no more than a hundred yards away was a group of about thirty Cheyenne warriors. Oh how I wanted to ride after the men who had attacked the ranch, but they were gone, for now and not likely to return.

The braves had slowed their ponies and closed the last yards at a slow trot. Running Bear and Lone Wolf were at my side now as the braves stopped in front of us. Running Bear nudged me, "Nice to have lots of family." he told me as he hugged the first brave to hit the ground. "They heard of the wedding of Ike and Sally and have come to pay their respect.

We talked in the Cheyenne tongue for minutes before Calico came out from the church, rifle still in hand. Howling Wolf looked at her, then at me, then smiled, "White deer" I've heard of her, so it is true, she makes the heavens sing with her beauty."

Calico, who had heard that blushed tremendously and managed a meager "Thank you."

I was glad to see that none of our men (or Buford) had been injured beyond a few scratches. Sally was a little upset when she first saw Ike, he had a little smear of blood on his forehead, but it turned out to be nothing serious. As he'd been coming out of the church a shot had hit the top of the doorway and splintered the wood, and one of the splinters had struck him. It only took a minute to clean him up with a handkerchief, and everyone started filing back into the church for the ceremony. Cheyenne and I spoke with the braves for a few minutes, they declined to come into the church, but agreed to join us for the banquet afterward. They did volunteer to take care of disposing of the bodies of our attackers, after we had checked them all for any clues as to who they were or why they were here, but we found nothing that would tell us anything.

It wasn't long before we were able to continue with the wedding, and Sally looked radiant as Cheyenne walked her down the aisle. I was having a hard time fighting back tears, I was so proud of her. The look in Ike's eyes as he stared at her while Biblepuncher took them through their vows proved to me that he would take good care of her. When they finally were pronounced man and wife, I thought we were going to have to throw a bucket of water over them during that kiss. They finally separated to the sounds of laughter ringing through the church, and then led us all out to join our newest visitors for the celebration.

While the food was cooking, Cheyenne and I pulled Karl aside to talk to him for a few minutes. "How would you feel if I asked Howling Wolf and the others to stay for a while?" Cheyenne asked him. "With what happened today I'm a little nervous about leaving you short handed while we're in Virginia, and besides, the hands have work to do. You'll have a hard time posting extra guards and still get all the chores done, the braves could be a big help there. I don't know if they'll agree to it, but wanted to get your input before I asked them."

Karl didn't have to think about it long. "Go ahead and ask, boss, the worst that can happen is that they'll say no. I sure don't have any objections to having them around, and they could prove useful. My only condition is that they understand they need to stay on your lands, we don't need anyone else around here complaining that the Cheyenne are here, but if they don't leave the ranch no one will have any right to object."

That made sense, and Cheyenne left to talk to Running Bear and Howling Wolf. My attention turned back to the party, things were going well but I needed to make sure it was all perfect. Ike and Sally didn't really seem to care too much, I had the feeling they just wanted it to all be over so they could be alone, but I knew that later on they'd look back at this evening with fond memories. Hop and Lu Sing had the cooking under control, with help from a whole crew of ladies. We'd all done a good job of getting most everything else set up beforehand, so there really wasn't much else to do. I did make sure our surprise visitors were comfortable, fortunately enough of our hands either spoke enough of their language or knew enough sign that the visitors were being made to feel welcome indeed. I was proud of our men for that, we sure had some good ones.

With everything in place and everyone having a good time, my thoughts turned to our upcoming trip. We were scheduled to leave a week after tomorrow, and except for a few last minute details everything was ready. I was a little concerned about leaving now after that attack earlier, I wished we'd been able to figure out a little more about those men and why they had done it. I had all the faith in the world in Karl, but it would make me feel a little better about the whole thing if Howling Wolf and his men did agree to stay. I glanced over in Cheyenne's direction, and I could see the three men were still talking but I was much too far away to hear what was being said. Cheyenne and Running Bear didn't look at all disappointed though, so I assumed it was going well. I didn't want to interrupt, and before long I had to go nurse Ruth anyway. I'd just be patient and talk to Cheyenne over dinner.

The man was tall, slender and suntanned, mostly his hands and his face.

Scars told of old battles, keloidal lines marked once-bloody trails made by some edged implement, long enough ago the flesh was healed and no longer pinkish.

He moved easily, smoothly; he did not need to look, to know that he was watched by a curious mountain sheep, that three birds played tag in the nearby bush, that two rabbits chased each other on the other side of the mountain pool,

The man was dripping wet from his cold-water bath, and buck naked in the sunlight.

His face was clean-shaven; his hair was shaved from the top of his head, what remained made a ring around his head, or around the rear two-thirds, and his shave was tanned as well.

He ran a hand over his bare, wet-beaded scalp and smiled, remembering one of his predecessors' comment: "I never trusted a man with a pale tonsure."

He picked up his white robe, gave it a brisk snap, threw it on over his head; bare feet found bullhide sandals, he tied his simple leather-string belt, slung his traveler's pouch over his left shoulder and picked up the wrist-thick, Eastern-locust staff with Viking-carved runes running its length, a gift from a sailor whose lift he'd saved, earlier that year.

Brother William stretched, feeling vertebrae pop and crack as he writhed his spine, and he sniffed appreciatively at meat spit over the teacup sized fire.

He would eat this night, and sleep in the mountains, and resume his journey the next day.

Time ran different in the mountains.

A man got up when he needed to: hunger, or his bladder, or some threat, determined his rising; a man ate when he was hungry, or when he had food to eat; he traveled in the daylight, and found shelter at night.

Brother William met two Mexicans, a young man and his wife, fellow travelers on the mountain trail; they offered a drink from their water bag, and Brother William accepted, and spoke of the spring pool he'd left not an hour ago: they were delighted to hear it, for a sweetwater spring meant they could restore their supply, and take a moment's ease in a small green oasis.

They begged a confession and a blessing, and Brother Wiliam heard their confession, and sang their forgiveness: they parted, they two for Mexico, they and their scraggly little burro, and Brother William, returning from the Rabbitville monastery.

Sound carries differently depending on the wind: there were waves of gunfire, both sharp, and deep, and Brother William stopped, and listened, and waited; as all fights do, this one ended, and the white-robed monastic listened, leaning on his runestaff and considering the possible distance over which the sounds of battle might have traveled.

He continued on his way until he heard hard-ridden horses approach.

It was no trick to fade off the path and into a nest of rocks, to lean back and look up at the shocking-clear blue of the cloudless sky above, while ten horses pounded by, intent on getting distance.

Brother William relaxed on the flat, rocky surface he'd found: he waited until the horses were gone from earshot before he sat upright.

Where they are going, he thought, will not tell their tale.

Where they've been will tell everything.

Brother William stood easily, looked slowly around, then set out on the trail once more, going to where the riders had been.

Brother William was not a man in a hurry.

For all things there is a season, a time and a purpose for every thing under the heavens.

He'd known times when a man was obliged to hurry; haste had, in those moments, saved lives, or cost lives: he still woke to the sound of bugles, of men screaming, to the sensation of a steel bayonet grating against his living bone, but when he woke, he dismissed the nightmares, for they were only shadows, shades, ghosts ... and ghosts have no place in the world of the living.

His tread was silent, his eyes busy; his white hood, drawn up, sheltered him from the high-altitude sun.

He covered a good distance before the sun met its zenith: he held the runestaff at arm's length, its tip on the dirt, judged its shadow and smiled, then reached into his traveler's pouch.

His fingers felt the beads and he quested deeper, grasped that for which he sought brought it out: a string -- good waxed linen it was, with knots at precise intervals -- thrice fifty there were, and he closed his eyes and ran them slowly, idly between his fingers, remembering the sound of men's voices raised in chant, reciting the komboligon, reciting one hundred fifty Psalms in Latin, their voices echoing from the stone interior of the monastery's sanctuary.

Brother William had ever loved music, and his voice raised to join theirs, in the fellowship of his black-robed brethren: now, today, he remembered being in the center of two dozen voices, and nodded, for the memory was a good one.

Brother William coiled the komboligon over flat fingers and placed it carefully in the very bottom corner of the cloth pouch.

Another half dozen steps and he cut sign.

Brother William squatted, studying the hoof-cut ground: he drew his hood back, his eyes busy, then he rose, looked ahead.

A ranch was ahead, he knew, a ranch at which he'd guested in the past, a ranch for whom he'd brought a package.

Those ten who fled ... were they fleeing the ranch?

Flight after gunfire, ten in a bunch.

This bodes not well.

Brother William picked up his staff at its balance point, eyes scanning the horizon.

I see no smoke.

Raiders often fire the buildings.

Ten outbound, and ... more ... two dozen at least, inbound.

He leaned his forehead against the staff, took a long breath.

I have seen enough of war, O Lord.

Let me see peace and accord this day.

Brother William raised his head and lifted his staff and paced off on the left, striding purposefully in the direction of where he knew the ranch should be.

One reached out, swatted another on the upper arm with tanned, scarred knuckles.

He thrust his chin, the other followed his glance, leaned forward, frowning.

The cupola offered a good vantage, and since the attack, it was manned, and the men therein were renowned for their good eyesight.

"Now what," one offered conversationally, "in two hells is that a-comin'?"

The other studied the solitary figure, then looked around -- if this were a diversion, curiosity might prevent a sentry from watching their flanks for an enemy, taking advantage -- then he looked back.

"Well, I know what it looks like, but whyinell's a grown man runnin' around in his nightshirt?"

Two fingers went to his chapped lips; he gave a sharp, short whistle: heads turned, faces raised: several people followed the pointing arm's direction, and a little girl's face brightened in a delighted smile.

"Woom Coffee!" she exclaimed happily, and scampered out to meet the approaching figure.

Archived