"Currently, the background check system covers sales only by licensed
gun dealers. The compromise would apply the system to all commercial
sales, such as transactions at gun shows and online. The sales would
have to be channeled through licensed firearms dealers, who would have
to keep records of the transactions.

"Private transactions that are not for profit, such as those between relatives,

would be exempt from background checks."

This is on the Federal level.

Wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be wonderful (not that any of it is "wonderful") if the bolded part would trump certain state's laws? In California, you have to do a transfer registration and pay a $19 fee on handguns, and effective January 1, 2014, on all long guns. :(

I knew Manchin would sell out! WV pards need to find a new Senator!

They haven't decided what the Colorado background fee will be yet. But I'll be surprised if it's only 19 bucks. :angry:

Personally, I'm tiered of hearing about online sales not having to go thru a background check.

I knew Manchin would sell out! WV pards need to find a new Senator!

They haven't decided what the Colorado background fee will be yet. But I'll be surprised if it's only 19 bucks. :angry:

We just bought a rifle through (private person from another state to us) Stagecoach, the recorded message before we got on with a real person, said all background checks will be $10.00. When NICS first started in Colorado, it was $5. Then they did away with the fee. Now it looks like it will be $10.00. The Store that you purchase your firearm has the leeway of not charging you the $10.00. But the store will still have to pay it on the end. So the chances of a store not charging you would be slim. That does not include what the store charges for paperwork. Which at Stagecoach is $25.00. I don't think if you buy the gun directly off the shelf or order it from Stagecoach that they will charge you the extra $25.00. Which is good.

According to the bill I read, the FFL, by law cannot charge you more than the $10.00 for a background check in Colorado. And if they make enough money, (yeah right) they must lower that fee. If I understood it correctly.

Stumble Leena + :wub:

Here in the Golden Tarnished Brass State all private transfers* must be done through a dealer, with the dealer doing the NICS check and actually holding the firearm for the prescribed 10-day waiting period.

I know of some dealers who are charging as much as $100 for this "combined service." <_<

*Intra-family transfers can still be done with a "simple form and a $19 fee." This includes inheritances. :wacko:

Maybe I'm missing something here and perhaps somebody can edumacate me. On a sale at a gun show, the purchaser will have to go through a background check. So, an FFL will have to be on site at the gun show? So that FFL then collects a fee for every sale made at the show? In those states where there is a "waiting period" who holds on to the purchased gun and how will the purchaser go about getting it after the waiting period?

Obviously my thinking is screwed up because something just doesn't make sense here.

It will be the same in Colorado. All FTF sales must go through an FFL. The difference is ours is still insta check. So no waiting unless they are backed up. We can also gift with out a NICS check to our grandpa, grandma, daughters, sons, 1st cousins, Aunts, Uncles and mom and dad. Go figure. But they must be able to lawfully own a firearm.

The one thing that worried me about the 'gift' is if I give my rifle to my 1st cousin and he/she goes out and robs a bank and injures someone, we are both held liable. Scary. So I don't think I will be gifting to any of my 1st cousins. :blink:

I read this stuff until my head exploded last night. Not a pretty sight! :lol: But we still are not as restrictive as some other states. The good news is, that maybe, just maybe, unlike the other states, we can get this overturned in the next election. I sure hope so. I feel bad that Magpul is leaving. I don't think they will return if the laws are changed. Too costly. Shame it had to happen.

I'm with Big Sage, these new laws will not affect our hunting or our cowboy action shooters. It might and has hurt some other disciplines here in Colorado because of the 15round mag law. Adapt and overcome as my son would say.

Stumble Leena +

Maybe I'm missing something here and perhaps somebody can edumacate me. On a sale at a gun show, the purchaser will have to go through a background check. So, an FFL will have to be on site at the gun show? So that FFL then collects a fee for every sale made at the show? In those states where there is a "waiting period" who holds on to the purchased gun and how will the purchaser go about getting it after the waiting period?

Obviously my thinking is screwed up because something just doesn't make sense here.

That's the way it has been for years here in California.

The "Fee" is broken down to the NICS, "Use of FFL," storage*, and whatever.

*Yes, the dealer locks it up for the ten day "cooling off" period. Even long guns. :angry:

I might be naive, but a hundred bucks to transfer seems a mite steep to me...

And people collect it 'cuz they can get it. :(

I've always wondered Why federal laws can restrain Intra-State Commerce. Federal laws restricting intra-state commerce on a protected item

is the heart of the second amendment as being Infringed. Lawsuits can continue for years on this one topic!

Archived