SASS Wire Forum

Gun Confiscations Begin In NY.

This is from ammoland. Full link follows:

DD

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/new-york-gun-confiscation-underway/#axzz2PyngHCLQ

News came from multiple NY State based firearms enthusiast websites late Friday that confiscations of Pistol Owner ID Cards, as well as firearms and accessories has commenced in NY under the provisions of the horribly flawed, draconian and blatantly unconstitutional NY SAFE Act. Those folks having their weapons and FID cards confiscated have been discovered to have been prescribed multiple different types of psychotropic drugs, such as those for Depression or Anxiety. These are known as SSRI ( Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) class drugs and have the potential to cause serious and adverse side effects, something I wrote about extensively last week in an article that went viral in days and caused multiple Anti Gun and Progressive News Groups to initiate a concentrated denial of service hacker attack against Ammoland Shooting Sports News (see Daily KOS ” Keeping Track Of The RKBA Crowd” http://tiny.cc/ug67uw), in an effort to keep the information from the public.

From NY http://tiny.cc/nyfirearms

“John Doe, an upstanding professional with no outstanding

criminal convictions and no history of violent action received a letter

from the Pistol Permit Department informing him that his license was

immediately revoked upon information that he was seeing a therapist for

anxiety and had been prescribed an anxiety drug. He was never suicidal,

never violent, and has no criminal history. The New York State

Department of Health is apparently conducting a search of medical

records to determine who is being treated for anxiety drugs and using

this as a basis for handgun license revocation.

No surprise here. This will keep people from seeking treatment. Idiots.

When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail. :angry:

Guest Texas Jack Black

Just more false information .Med records are NOT being searched. I was hoping this new forum would be a place to discuss 2nd Amendment issues .It is turning into a far right conspiracy site, Sad, as this just gives less credability to most gun owners.

Just more false information .Med records are NOT being searched. I was hoping this new forum would be a place to discuss 2nd Amendment issues .It is turning into a far right conspiracy site, Sad, as this just gives less credability to most gun owners.

Did you read the whole article? How about the part from the affected individuals attorney?

James Tresmond Esq confirmed in our conversation that the above mentioned case is occurring in Erie County NY, it is his client that has been effected, and as yet unknown sources have seen fit to take it upon themselves to share confidential medical records with NY State Officials without authorization, a massive HIPAA violation. It seems these supposedly confidential records are then compared against a list of known NY pistol license holders and letters are sent out demanding their Pistol Owner ID Cards be surrendered, as well as any firearms and accessories.

Searching medical records was not part of my heading or the title of the thread, just the part about the guns. It was a cut and paste with a link to the whole article. You are the one who made the assertion that it was about medical records being searched, not me.

The thing that should be of concern to everyone is that individuals are having rights and property taken from them prior to any form of hearing or trial. Assumed guilt. Seems like a major issue to me.

Dogmeat Dad

The story was on local station WPTZ, Plattsburgh, NY, at 6PM yesterday, yet I can't find it anywhere on the station's web site this morning. Doesn't seem to be on any of the major news sites, either.

Edit: I did manage to find the attorney's URL: http://www.tresmondlaw.com/Welcome.html. However, my computer keeps timing out when I try to call it up. I've also emailed WPTZ. For the moment, I'm calling it "unverified."

Edit: I'm continuing my web search. The only sources I can find for this story are pro-gun web sites, although I did find one local news source: http://www.wben.com/Attorney--Use-Anti-Anxiety-Meds--Lose-Pistol-Permi/16002790. This version of the story lacks most of the vague details of the version(s) cited by the OP, but makes it appear a fairly local matter: "Who's responsible for this? "The State Police. Based on information the county received from the New York State Police, they've suspended the permits. The State Police instigates the proceedings."

Thanks. I do note that at the moment this appears to be the only such story, even on pro-gun sites. I'm wondering why. Test case? Unknown details? Local state police commander and/or county jumping the gun (so to speak)? It certainly doesn't seem to be any sort of organized "gun grab."

Archived