SASS Wire Forum

Last month a fella with one of those fancy AR's with a bull barrel on the bench next to me actually asked me if I was firing blanks in my virtual M1 Garrand. We was cycling em one at a time and it must have cornfuzzed him. Said Nope thems a 162 Grain cast with a gas check sized @ .310 dia. and if ya look through that fancy scope at the target you'll see that they are workin purty gud. LOL Darn whipper snappers just know that plinkin with a 30-06 is a lot of fun an cheap ta boot! Told him I could shoot a couple hundred and not break a sweat on the $$$$. Did have to ask " soooo how much ya payin fer them .223's anyway???" Felt purty gud to re fill them ta day on the blue machine. :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard something that I don't quite trust. A fellow was talking about cutting down .223 brass to make a .30 caliber round for the M1 Carbine.

According to my manuals, the .223 case dimensions are .378 x 1.760, and the M1 Carbine is

.360 x 1.290.

I suppose the length could be cut down and finished off, but the .018 difference in diameter, cause me to ponder.

If the .223 was smaller in diameter I would think that a force fire would be possible. And perhaps a full

size small base die would work for the Carbine. But, and there is always that pesky but, it would be a lot of work and questionable safety issues.

ED: You would need to anneal the brass also. More labor.

Well, I broke down and installed the adjustable gas plug in my virtual M1 Garand, this week end.

I also pulled some 150 grain bullets from some Korean cartridges with corrosive primers and will use them for reloads.

Now if I can find the time to go to the range I will shoot off some rounds and check the function button on my virtual M1 Garand.

Heard something that I don't quite trust. A fellow was talking about cutting down .223 brass to make a .30 caliber round for the M1 Carbine.

According to my manuals, the .223 case dimensions are .378 x 1.760, and the M1 Carbine is

.360 x 1.290.

I suppose the length could be cut down and finished off, but the .018 difference in diameter, cause me to ponder.

If the .223 was smaller in diameter I would think that a force fire would be possible. And perhaps a full

size small base die would work for the Carbine. But, and there is always that pesky but, it would be a lot of work and questionable safety issues.

ED: You would need to anneal the brass also. More labor.

Don't know if ya could. The case volume might be a problem, being a slightly tapered case might also be a problem as well. Seems to be a lot of trouble. :(

Don't know if ya could. The case volume might be a problem, being a slightly tapered case might also be a problem as well. Seems to be a lot of trouble. :(

I agree. Looks like the brass manufactures forgot about the cartridge though.

Well, that might be true, Chickasaw. But at some point it is going to run out. A lot of them little buggers are still in

service. Then what to do, what to do.

Since I don't have one and likely won't ever get one, I guess it is a moot point.

Ran into an unsettling situation yesterday. I bought a RCBS Universal de-priming die. I was

running some mil surplus brass and I broke off the de-priming pin. No problem, just change

the pin, Right. Well, it has a SPECIAL rod for depriming and I can't get the pin out. I will have

to call RCBS this morning to see what gives with that. They show that you need to replace

the whole rod as a unit, in their web page. Seems kinda of self defeating to design it that way.

Will find out more, late when I call them.

Well, Customer Service at RCBS is still alive. They are sending me a replacement rod for the die. Midway has them on back order until late June.

This is an odd situation. The die is designed with a threaded rod and a female thread head with the pin inside.

The pin is captured so you can't get it out. They sell the whole unit as a replacement part. I would think it would

be more cost effective to sell the head only and package them in multiple units for the same price. Most folks

would not need the whole unit, and if they did they could market that too.

Sometimes I don't understand all I know.

I really like the die. It allows me to deprime the brass and then dump it in the tumbler. Gets a lot cleaner.

Then I can size it and finish reloading it. Time is on my side and the extra step is a labor of love.

My limited experience with the M1 Carbine would lead me to ask "Why".

Too light, too loud and too ineffective.

I am rapidly coming to that very same conclusion, Noz. I have not heard one fired since 1960, and I have ever even held one

let alone shot one. I think I will file that on the shelf with Why do I need that.

Besides, I got enough to work with now.

Got 48 brass cases (6 clips) cleaned and out of the tumbler tonight. Tomorrow I will

deburr and clean the primer pockets. Going to reload them with some recipe that I got

from Stubborn Dutchman. Might get to the range one of these days. Got a lunch date

with Momma on Thursday. Maybe Friday.

I just saw a pistol on Weaponology that shoots 250,000 rounds a minute. No cases, just bullets. NO powder, just bullets

no primer, just bullets. My kinda of gun. Look at what you could save on reloading. Wonder if it is SASS legal.

Never did find out. But it was loaded in line with four barrels. Fired from an electric impulse.

Get quite a clang outtn that one. Put three round through one hole before the pistol recoiled.

I WANT ONE!

BMC

back to that BROKEN decapin die

what is the dia. of the pin?

is there enough to get hold of with a set of plyers ?

you may be able to heat it up and get the old one out to replacw with round spring stock

CB

The pin has a head on one end of it. Go to the RCBS website, get into the parts book and on page 23 there is a diagram of it.

Will show you what I am talking about, as if I knew.

BMC

I could not get the site to show me nothing

chased around it for a bit before I gave up on it

CB :wacko:

It is not a user friendly site. If you google in RCBS and get their home page, go to the Resources pull down, click on it and go down to the Parts flag. Click on it and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is a page flag again. Click on it and it will take you to the parts catalog. Then scroll down to page 24 and the UNIVERSAL DECAPPING DIE is on the lower right side of the page. You can see the various parts there.

Archived