SASS Wire Forum

BMC; I got bullets, copper 110 grain round nose (500) of .30 carbine, I gotz brass, I gotz Powder, and I gotz Small Rifle Primers. What I don't have is a M1 carbine. So I guess I'll sell all of the components to somebody that can use them.

Jake

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, now that is a right fine offer, Big Jake. Only, I don't have an M1 Carbine either. So I am stuck.

I am hoping this affliction will pass with some time and some applied logic. I really don't need an

M1 Carbine. I rally don't have a use for an M1 Carbine. I really can't afford an M1 Carbine.

OK, so I don't want an M1 Carbine!

I don't want an M1 Carbine!

I want an M1 Carbine! Whoops!

Badger,

I think I got that file to go through this time. This dial up is a pain for sending attachments. You should have that reloading data now in a ZIP file.

As for M1 Carbines, stay away from Universal. They only look like an M1 carbine.

It came through fine, Dutchman. Thank you again for your kindness.

IF I should decide to purchase a VIRTUAL M1 Carbine, I would not buy a Universal.

Too many bad stories out there. Years ago, I saw one in a gun shop for $125.00.

Passed on it because I had no need. Since then, I have learned a lot about them.

Don't know about Fulton. Looks like it is new manufacture. Other than that, I don't know.

I suppose that the prudent thing to do would be to buy old Mil Spec and repair/replace

worn parts. Kinda like me, old and worn out.

As far as the M1 Garand goes, I will install the adjustable gas plug and shoot up the

40 rounds that I have with hot loads. Then reload with a milder charge.

Give me a chance to sight it in. I can fine tune it after I find the load I want.

Ya know, I just don't thunk right some times. I got me five en bloc clips of 30-06 that I have been fretting about. I could just

run them down the barrel of my VIRTUAL P17 and be done with it. The rest is all Greek ammo from CMP so it should be

GTG.

I have a Marine friend that's 72 and selling off some of his guns. I don't buy or collect Military stuff but looked at what he had.

There is a M1 carbine mfg 1943 that has been factory refurbished like new. It was made by Underwood. I think he's asking $750.

I think he has 4-5 mags too. 15 rd and 30 rd with a OD Pouch.

Jake

Jake, that's a good price on that carbine (I think).

I'm thinkin' that would be good indeed... the last one I saw was a while back in a Big 5 sporting goods store - banged up, beat-up, and close to a thousand bucks. :huh:

That's a good price on the carbine. But factory restored??? Modern or era restored, is what I would ask and check out if looking for a collectible.

If someone wants a nice looking M1 Garand or Carbine, some have been restored to a beautiful looking firearm, using new barrels and parts, including new stocks. Sometimes the only original GI issued items left are parts of the trigger group and receiver. A collector would want one as original as possible. I would personally look at one of the M1 Garands that Springfield made, and now out of production. These were top-grade Garand, each was handfitted.

Its like the Original Rogers Ranger Tomahawk I own. The handle was replaced twice during the 70s from trowing, and the head was replaced after it slipped off and went over the Grand Canyon.

Original carbines can still be found cheaper then the repros. Why would someone not want an original. I now have, and 2 on layaway, 14 Carbines, various versions, and makers. One can still have and start putting together a collection at reasonable prices. MT

I think you friend might be a little low on his price, Big Jake. He might want to research the current market trends.

The Big problem with the M1 Carbine, from my point of view, is the ammunition. THERE JUST AIN'T ALL THAT MUCH OUT THERE AND I DON'T SEE ANY IN THE PIPELINE.

I have a Marine friend that's 72 and selling off some of his guns. I don't buy or collect Military stuff but looked at what he had.

There is a M1 carbine mfg 1943 that has been factory refurbished like new. It was made by Underwood. I think he's asking $750.

Jake

Do not tempt me like that!!

Jake

A shootable 1903 Springfield? 1903A3?

Tanks!

I was lucky. About 10 years ago I got a garand for $500. Serial # says it was made in 1943. I bring it out twice a year to shoot and dust it off, Veterans Day and Memorial Day.

OK guys...this Older Marine (72) is one of a Dozen who I eat Breakfast with every Tuesday and then 5 of us play Poker for 4 hours. Fun Day. He lives in Long Beach and his wife owns a Bar...$$$$, and he's not hurting for money. He like me buys and sells guns for the last 40+ years. He collects mostly JAP rifles. Some of these guns are his and some belong to a Widow Woman down the street who's husband died last year. She wants him to sell guns for her. He paid $100 for it and set the price.

I bought a New in the box, never fired Crossman Pellet rifle from him for $35. He got it in 1958 (18 years old) and joined the USMC. I also bought a Remington Nylon 66 (10 C) for $100 w/scope. Then he shows me a Siamese Mauser custom barreled .45-70 with a custom Bishop Stock and 3X9 scope. $200. How can I say no? I also bought a Merdian (SEARS) nickeled .38 S&W top-break pocket pistol for $35. He has about 25 more Rifles and Shotguns for sale that I don't want, but are good priced for someone else. If he's happy with the price, who am I to tell him he's not charging enough. I don't collect Military Rifles so I will pass them on to you guys if you want.

Jake

Well, after a lengthy search, I have come to the sad conclusion that I had best not be thinking of buying an M1 Carbine.

Not that I don't want one, but there is just too much uncertainty in these times, ammunition and parts are hard to find and

come by, and I really don't NEED one, but sure would like to have one. Perhaps someday when I have the coin in my pocket and the opportunity presents itself to me, I will pick one up. In the meanwhile, I will look and long. Kinda like a love sick teenage boy and the attractive cheerleader with the captain of the football team.

Just lust, I guess. So far my research has found:

1, Although available, they are not inexpensive rifles.

2. Brass for reloading is almost non existent,

3. Bullets are also rare.

4. Uncertainity about magazine size and availability of reliable mags.

5. You can purchase a newly manufactured copy for a slightly higher price

than original reworks. You get a whole bunch of different parts in the real McCoy.

6. Anything over 100 yards, a rock and sling might be better.

7. Accuracy is ok, but nothing to brag about,

8. Not a lot of knockdown power, but might take care of a coyote or two.

9. Replacement parts might be an issue.

Plus side:

1. They look cool

2. Light weight.

3. Easy takedown.

4. Semi auto with good reliability and feed.

5. A piece of history.

Looks like more negative than positive. Maybe I overlooked something.

Remember, they were supposed to replace a pistol.

So it is what it is.

Still a high fun factor though. :D

Got shown the proper way of loading a Garand by a Marine who earned his M1-Thumb during a rather strenuous argument with some Japanese tourists.

It's something you only do once.

Me too

But the Marine I knew for the first 45 years of my life also said that the Army got the cool Garands....The Marines had the wore out 03s. There were still a bunch in the Marines inventory but not enough.

BMC, they are still out there. A few Months ago a Marine (77) was in Laughlin NV for the weekend and saw an ad in the Newspaper Sunday AM and was the first to call and show up. He Bought an M1 Garand and a M1 Carbine, both WWll vintage. Some people sell stuff without taking it to a Dealer to get Ripped Off. He brought them to the Weekly Breakfast we have and asked me to look at them and let him know if they were a good deal. I brought them Home and took them apart...cleaned them...and put them back together. They were in Great shape. I asked him "How much did he Pay?" He said $800 for the pair. Yep!

I will ask him if he wants to sell them,cuz I don't think he's going to shoot them. He got them just to look at and have because he was in Korea and he had them then. I told him the Carbine was worth what he paid for both....he smiled.

Jake

Jake, I appreciate your efforts, but I do not think I will be buying anything right now. I want to wait until the gun issue is settled and see if ammunition makes a come back. No sense in having a gun if you can't get ammo.

Thanks for the update though.

I think you friend might be a little low on his price, Big Jake. He might want to research the current market trends.

The Big problem with the M1 Carbine, from my point of view, is the ammunition. THERE JUST AIN'T ALL THAT MUCH OUT THERE AND I DON'T SEE ANY IN THE PIPELINE.

Reloads and 110 cast RN. Cheaper than 22's ta plink with. :) and work great with Johnsons paste wax & Alox lube :)

Archived