SASS Wire Forum

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M1 thumb!

OW! OW! OW!

Weeeeeellllll, it is actually an virtual M1 Thumb from a Virtual M1 Garand.

But it is sure purdy. The virtual M1, not the thumb.

Last time I got an M1 thumb was from Uncle Sammy's

playground in Ft. Riley, Kansas. It were in 1958. It has healed some since.

I got some ammunition I loaded with 150 grain bullets and 47 grains of IMR 4895.

Wondering if it is too hot for a VIRTUAL M1, and maybe I should put in the adjustble

gas cylinder plug.

If ya install that virtual plug, make sure it is screwed down tight. We wuz shootin' our Gayrands one day and it suddenly stopped cycling. It turns out the plug came loose and the previous shot launched it about 50 yards downrange. It's a wonder we found it.

A bit of trivia... we all pronounce it Ga-RAND, but it's inventor, John Garand, pronounced his name to rhyme with "errand."

Somehow doesn't sound quite right calling it a "G-errand..." although some do. :rolleyes:

What ever you pronounce his name, he made one fine VIRTUAL rifle. IMNSHO.

I have to say innovation is high in his creation. There has been some talk on

other threads about other military configurations, i.e. black rifles, about the

best sling mounting configuration. One point, two point etc.

Well, the M1 Gurrrrrand has the thumb carry. Painful at times but effective. It can free

your hands for other duties. I might fill your mouth with loud screams but

with all the firing going on, nobody is going to notice much.

In most cases, the M-1 thumb was only issued "one each" per soldier.

Only the really stupid ever got a second one.

Gee... wish I had one o' them virtual Garands. It'd be nice to keep my virtual M1 Carbine company in the safe, if I had one. If I had one, the Garand would be a Springfield, and if I had one, the Carbine would be a Saginaw... :rolleyes:

Now for something REALLY different, Google "Garand T31 Bullpup!" B)

I have no idea what you're talking about. :blink:

My ten year left handed relationship with the M-1 never resulted in M-1 finger. I hooked my left thumb over the op rod handle, depressed the follower with the middle finger and rode the bolt half way home with my thumb and released. That included ten years of competition in high power form local clubs up to and including Camp Perry. Ya just gotta think these things through.

Anyone know where I can get a virtual Lewis Gun?

Bugs

My ten year left handed relationship with the M-1 never resulted in M-1 finger. I hooked my left thumb over the op rod handle, depressed the follower with the middle finger and rode the bolt half way home with my thumb and released. That included ten years of competition in high power form local clubs up to and including Camp Perry. Ya just gotta think these things through.

Anyone know where I can get a virtual Lewis Gun?

Bugs

Not a Lewis, but have my MP40 on consignment? Spits em out faster then a Lewis. MT

Got shown the proper way of loading a Garand by a Marine who earned his M1-Thumb during a rather strenuous argument with some Japanese tourists.

It's something you only do once.

Not a Lewis, but have my MP40 on consignment? Spits em out faster then a Lewis. MT

Ain't lookin fer fast, I'm lookin fer style. The Lewis gun has more style than any other light machinegun IMNSHO. Tom Seleck had one in High Road to China.

Bugs

A good friend of mine reports that this device http://www.m1thumbsaver.com/ works wonders in preventing the dreaded M-1 Thumb Syndrome.

Howdy Hill, great to hear from you, it's been a long, long time.

Bugs

Well, last night I took out the adjustable gas plug for my Virtual M1. Pretty slick.

May be the impetus to get me out to the range to test fire it.

I have five clips that are loaded a little hot so I will test fire them. Then drop the

load down and replace the original gas plug.

At least that is my plan.

Well, last night I took out the adjustable gas plug for my Virtual M1. Pretty slick.

May be the impetus to get me out to the range to test fire it.

I have five clips that are loaded a little hot so I will test fire them. Then drop the

load down and replace the original gas plug.

At least that is my plan.

Remember, to hot loads, and you will bend the operating rod. Check your reloading manual, you will find there are 2 different loads for 30-06, one for the Garand, and the other for everything else.

You may also know that CCI makes 2 different type primers, one for the Garand. Reason behind that. Same as there are 2 different primers made for the ARs, one for 5.56 and another for the .223.

Garands were not made for modern hot loads. The weakest point on a Garand is the operating rod. MT

I started "playing" with the M-1 in high school ROTC in 1957 and have been around them almost non-stop ever since. I have NEVER had an M-1 thumb...skill or luck or just plain scared of the damn thing, I can't say...but there's still time.

BTW, I had a chance to checkout a friend's "new" M-1 recently and did an impromptu Queen Anne's Salute. When I flipped the rifle off of my shoulder, caught it, and went down on my knee to finish the routine I thought he was going to wet himself. I asked him if I could try it and he agreed. I didn't do it perfectly, but I'm still pretty good. (Well, maybe not so pretty, but still good.)

I started "playing" with the M-1 in high school ROTC in 1957 and have been around them almost non-stop ever since. I have NEVER had an M-1 thumb...skill or luck or just plain scared of the damn thing, I can't say...but there's still time.

BTW, I had a chance to checkout a friend's "new" M-1 recently and did an impromptu Queen Anne's Salute. When I flipped the rifle off of my shoulder, caught it, and went down on my knee to finish the routine I thought he was going to wet himself. I asked him if I could try it and he agreed. I didn't do it perfectly, but I'm still pretty good. (Well, maybe not so pretty, but still good.)

No videos, no pics? You have to do it again, but in front of a camera. Luv to see it. :) MT

I am using the mil primers in my reloads, Marshal. The load I have is not all that hot. But I would prefer to err on the side of caution. I am using IMR 4895 powder.

I am still looking for a good formula for the M1 reloads. I understand that the Hornady reload manual has a section on it. I will have to find one.

Just lust, I guess. So far my research has found:

1, Although available, they are not inexpensive rifles.

2. Brass for reloading is almost non existent,

3. Bullets are also rare.

4. Uncertainity about magazine size and availability of reliable mags.

5. You can purchase a newly manufactured copy for a slightly higher price

than original reworks. You get a whole bunch of different parts in the real McCoy.

6. Anything over 100 yards, a rock and sling might be better.

7. Accuracy is ok, but nothing to brag about,

8. Not a lot of knockdown power, but might take care of a coyote or two.

9. Replacement parts might be an issue.

Plus side:

1. They look cool

2. Light weight.

3. Easy takedown.

4. Semi auto with good reliability and feed.

5. A piece of history.

Looks like more negative than positive. Maybe I overlooked something.

Archived