SASS Wire Forum

Annette Funicello - RIP

NEW YORK (AP) — Annette Funicello, who became a child star as a cute-as-a-button Mouseketeer on "The Mickey Mouse Club" in the 1950s, then teamed up with Frankie Avalon on a string of '60s fun-in-the-sun movies with names like "Beach Party Bingo" and "Bikini Beach," died Monday. She was 70.

She died at Mercy Southwest Hospital in Bakersfield, Calif., of complications from multiple sclerosis, the Walt Disney Co. said.

Another good one gone. She was my first crush, and the world is poorer for her absence. Goodbye to a classy Lady.

Me too Gunner !

What a shock I had when I first saw those hips move ! Don't believe a person could do that...that many times !

The world is a little darker now with her passing.

RIP dear lady.

Heckuva lady. May she rest in peace. :(

Another good one gone. She was my first crush, and the world is poorer for her absence. Goodbye to a classy Lady.

My first crush as well as 1/2 the male population. Beautiful young lady, may she rest in peace.

Very much a LADY. Dang M.S.

My first crush as well as 1/2 the male population. Beautiful young lady, may she rest in peace.

I used to kiss the TV screen at the end of the Mickey Mouse Club when she came on. Mom said she had to wipe lip marks off it every afternoon!

As I recall, she had a magnificent chest.

Maybe the first big star to only need one name! Always showed class and style! Peace and comfort to her family and friends. Ain't likely most of us will ever forget her.

Sweet Annette. We all loved you very much and we will miss you.

Rest in peace, darlin'.

I didn't find out until yesterday she had passed..I knew she was ill, and wondered from time to time how she was doing..I listened to a radio interview

with her years ago when she was first diagnosed..She was her usual upbeat self, and downplayed her illness, talking instead about some upcoming shows she was doing with Frankie Avalon..

A truly sweet, beautiful, and classy lady..As well as a '60's icon.

RIP Annette, you will be missed.

I will take a chance and say that there is not a single American male who was of the age to be in love with girls that did not have a crush on this most perfect female.

I would sit in front of our TV and day dream about being her boyfriend.

Paul Anka was the guy that had that lucky position. Annette wanted to marry him but he broke it off as he stated he wanted to invest in his career. He said that when he told his parents that Annette wanted to get married, they told him it was only Puppy Love.

That is where his hit song came from as he was singing it to her.

The next lucky guy was Frankie Avalon and all the beach movies.

I was told I had MS in 1983 by a local doctor. I wrote Annette to ask her about how she was doing with her MS. She did respond but I think it was done by a employee. They sent my spinal fluid to a lab out of state and they said the doctor was not correct in his statement that I had MS. That was a huge relief.

They showed some film clips this past week while doing an interview with Anka and Avalon that showed Annette in the bed in a fetal position and looking bad. I wish they would of not showed these clips. She deserved a much better send off. I will forever remember her as she looked before that horrible disease took her life. Later David

I watched an interview this morning with Paul Anka..He said they were never intimate, never "swapped spit"..They just had a youthful crush on each other..He went on to say she was a lifelong friend, a very brave woman, and a real treasure, and he was going to miss her greatly..

Fortunately, I didn't see the film clips of her sick in bed..Don't want to either, I would rather remember her as the sweetheart we all loved..

I will never understand why the media feels the need to show stuff like that..Low class behavior, fer sure!

Archived