SASS Wire Forum

One of the longest waits of the day.

Subdeacon Joe

Both sides craved sugar, or some sweetener, in their coffee. Milk or cream too, but that was in even shorter supply than sugar. From what I've been able to find, it wasn't uncommon for the "old hands" to go ahead and just mix their coffee and sugar rations together in the same poke. That way, while the coffee might not be as sweet as they would like it, they get some sugar in all of it, rather than having it to their taste for a day or two, then going several days without any sugar in it.

That is why Arbuckles was such a hit, not only was it roasted, so saving a step in camp, but the beans were coated with a sugar glaze. So that 'manly' Arbuckles coffee, black as hell, was also sweet.

I often use molasses in my coffee in camp. Or maybe honey (which I have on hand to make switchel - equal parts honey and cider vinegar, then cut it with water to taste. Good for sore throats and cough - serve it hot. Or thin it out with more water, and drink it cold for a pick-me-up on hot days.)

How about we just put some canned milk in it for you?

Whip it first.

Whip it good. ;)

Both sides craved sugar, or some sweetener, in their coffee. Milk or cream too, but that was in even shorter supply than sugar. From what I've been able to find, it wasn't uncommon for the "old hands" to go ahead and just mix their coffee and sugar rations together in the same poke. That way, while the coffee might not be as sweet as they would like it, they get some sugar in all of it, rather than having it to their taste for a day or two, then going several days without any sugar in it.

That is why Arbuckles was such a hit, not only was it roasted, so saving a step in camp, but the beans were coated with a sugar glaze. So that 'manly' Arbuckles coffee, black as hell, was also sweet.

I often use molasses in my coffee in camp. Or maybe honey (which I have on hand to make switchel - equal parts honey and cider vinegar, then cut it with water to taste. Good for sore throats and cough - serve it hot. Or thin it out with more water, and drink it cold for a pick-me-up on hot days.)

I knewed dat der was sugar back in dim days and knewed also some two, dat dey even coated dim beans fore brewin'.

I knewed some also, dat der was milk back der. But I figured it all camed from a cow or from breast feedin' a baby.

Never did one time tank they carried milk inta battle like dat.

Whip it first.

Whip it good. ;)

My Father an mom would make caramel out of sweetened condensed milk.

Just put it in a crook pot , cover with water, don't open dat can !

Put can an all in dat crook pot wif water, put it on low and forgit it till ya git home.

And dis is very important folks.....when ya git home, turn da crook pot off an do not open da lid to da pot !

Next morin', take da can oout an open it.....and ya gited da best carmel ya ever did ate !

Honest Injun ! ;)

That's one helluva' old Starbucks you got up there in Sonoma Joe! ;):D;)

EC

That was a little, out of the way, hole in the dirt place I found in Sacramento, EC.

Whip it first.

Whip it good. ;)

No, Joe....just wal..

Whipped Cream! Real whipped cream from a real whipped cow!

Dangit, Bob! And here I was trying to get over Ren Faire!

I knewed dat der was sugar back in dim days and knewed also some two, dat dey even coated dim beans fore brewin'.

I knewed some also, dat der was milk back der. But I figured it all camed from a cow or from breast feedin' a baby.

Never did one time tank they carried milk inta battle like dat.

Mr. Borden tried making evaporated milk but it wasn't shelf stable. Added sugar to it to make sweetened condensed milk, and PRESTO, the sugar killed the bacteria and he had shelf stable canned milk. Patent issued 1856, I think it was. Stuff was damned expensive though. Sutlers sold it for 75 cents to a dollar a can. Pretty steep for your average soldier.

Archived