SASS Wire Forum

WTB Beginners Reloading Gear

Judge Lewis

I am new to CAS and know that I am going to have to get into reloading to make this affordable. I've gotten some good advice on the Wire for what I would need starting out. I have checked online prices for reloading gear and the prices seem to have gone crazy with single stage presses going for 2X or more their original price. I found a Lee Load Master online for just a little more than some of the better single stage presses, but that seems to be overkill for my needs and inexperience. If anyone has some beginners reloading gear that they aren't using or have outgrown, let's make a deal.

Thanks.

Hmm - OK - I thought that someone else might have jumped on by now - but -

seeing as how no one has - I'll hitch up my braces and try to respond.

Have you ever re-loaded before? Do you have mechanical aptitude to reload?

Do you have a safe place to reload and store primers/powder, etc.?

OK - let's assume that the answer to the above questions are "YES".

Do you typically buy "used" and try to make do on a shoe string budget? - I am assuming "YES".

OK - you can get used reloaders on EBay, GunBroker, or just about anywhere. But - as you noticed

a lot of them are junk.

Therefore - let me suggest that you "hang out" at the local sporting clays, skeet, trap range.

Do they have a bulletin board there? - Check it out - there maybe be just what you are looking for

posted there. If not, make up a "Wanted" poster - spell out specifically what you want. Do you want

a MEC? Progressive or single stage? 12 or 20 gauge. Put your name, email, and phone on there.

This will work 10% - 20% of the time. Ask your local shooting buddies if they know of someone (that

might know someone) that has a reloader for sale. Check with your local components guy - they

sometimes take trade-ins. Or - they may have a line on what you want. Ask your fellow SASS shooters

they may want to upgrade - and would LOVE to fix you up with their older unit. Plus, they can help you

"fine tune" the unit to your specific needs.

In short, my friend, check around locally. Reloaders are heavy - and you pay the shipping. Plus -

you want to see before you buy.

Welcome to SASS - - and good luck to you.

- Boneyard Bill

Judge Lewis,

Watch the SASS wire for a Dillon 550B press ( Lifetime "No-B.S." Warranty ) used or new - You should get a fair price from a sass pard.

I din't know jack about reloading - and if I can am sure you can too.

I have been reloading now for 12 years, and a cowboy can save a lot of money when you roll your own.

Good Luck,

Fallon

Mike: Thanks for the kind offer. I found a used Rock Chucker on ebay that was reasonable and bought it along with some 45 dies. I would appreciate it if you would look it over when I get it to see if all is working properly. I also found a RCBS scale and a power measure. I am getting close, but still need some stuff if anybody out there has some good used reloading equipment.

Thanks.

If loading single stage I highly recommend the Lee Classic Breechlock press (about $100 new and probably $20 shipping, depending on vendor and your location). The Hornady LockNLoad is very similar in that you do NOT have to set up your dies each stage. Kinda handy and a time saver for sure. One time set up into the Breech Lock bushing and you are off! I get about 100 rounds per hour out of mine, but I verify my charges every 12 or so.

I recommend a Turret press once you get a feel for reloading. You can get the complete Lee Classic kit probably for $200 delivered to your door. You can make quality ammo at around 250 rounds per hour. On most, changing calibers is as easy as replacing the turret and shell holder. There are more expensive ones out there, like the Redding T-7. The drawback (IMO) is the replacement turret cost (used when change calibers) are pricey ($70 or so compared to about $12 for Lee's turrets).

Lee also makes some 'value' presses that are aluminum. Some people shy away from aluminum when given a choice. The "Classic" tagline indicates it is cast iron instead of aluminum.

Anyway, instead of paying crazy prices, put a back order in at MidSouth, Midway, Graf's and they will ship it when available.

Judge get a Lee reloading manual. The front secton will help you a lot. I was going to offer you my new Rock chucker because after I got it, I realized i needed a dillon 650, which I bought off ebay.

Keep in mind that a progressive press can be used as a single station press until you feels comfortable with it.

The Dillon 650 and the Hornady AP will turn out more ammo than you need but the price might be a little high.

The Dillon 550 will be in the middle of most as far as price goes.

The Lee Pro 1000 is on the low price end. (About $200.00 with dies)

All will turn out fine ammunition. As you go up in price you get more features, more stations, and more things to watch.

The lyman manual has all the information you need to get you edumacated on reloading.

I really recommend that you find someone that you shoot with that almost never has an ammo problem and buddy up with them and listen to their advise.

Keep in mind that a progressive press can be used as a single station press until you feels comfortable with it.

Good point!

Midway has the Lee Classic Turret kit in stock as of this morning. might be sold out already though.

Gunshot Don: Thank you for the offer of the Lyman manual. Slate Mike gave me one and I am going through it.

I am new to CAS and know that I am going to have to get into reloading to make this affordable. I've gotten some good advice on the Wire for what I would need starting out. I have checked online prices for reloading gear and the prices seem to have gone crazy with single stage presses going for 2X or more their original price. I found a Lee Load Master online for just a little more than some of the better single stage presses, but that seems to be overkill for my needs and inexperience. If anyone has some beginners reloading gear that they aren't using or have outgrown, let's make a deal.

Thanks.

Even though you might be new to reloading if you are only going to reload 1 caliber (45 LC in this case) go buy a Dillon Square Deal. They haven't gone up in price and it comes with everything you need to crank out 300-500 rounds an hour. (You add powder, primers, and bullets.) Life Time, No BS warranty. From there pick up a MEC 600 Jr press and you will be set for your remaining lifetime for reloading presses. You already know you need scale and probably a bunch more stuff to tumble clean your brass, store the reloaded ammo in nice plastic boxes, and the list goes on and on for the nice things to have. The Dillon press is only designed to reload straight wall cartridges and it's not really condusive (although it can be done) to changing calibers. I have worked with Lee, RCBS, Pacific, Lyman and other brands but Dillon is by far the tops. Best wishes in your new and addictive hobby. Be ready to start thinking about casting your own bullets. THAT's where you will save $$$ but at the expense of your time. I crank out about 500 bullets in 4 hours of casting with Saeco 4-cavity molds and two 20-pound lead pots. Start collecting any scrap lead you find for that next phase of reloading!

I use an RCBS single stage for long range. I like the Lee 4 hole turret press for CAS reloading. I removed the auto-index feature as my routine is not conducive to progression. I clean after de-priming and sizing and I don't like belling before cleaning.

The 4 hole turret allows me to permanently mount the dies, including the factory crimp die. The only hindrance is the spacing is a little tight and occasionally non-Lee locking rings will interfere with each other as I tighten them down. A good place to start when looking for Lee dies is http://www.fsreloading.com. I always double check pricing and availability against eBay, Track of the Wolf. Midway, etc.

Archived