SASS Wire Forum

Question for the RV'rs out there-solar systems

:FlagAm: Annie and I are planning some out of the valley shoots this summer. Getting the travel trailer spruced up and I am thinking about a solar system. We do have an Onan 4000 generator in a box on the back. Generator has it's own battery that is charged as the generator runs. All light bulbs have been changed out to LED. There is an 800 watt inverter that powers the living area TV, stereo and blue ray player. Bedroom TV is 12 volt. Will be changing out the deep cycle batteries to two 6 volt golf cart type per some recommendations. Don't plan on using battery power to run a coffee maker or the full sized Sharp microwave. The generator will take care of that. So the question is, what size system should I be looking to install? I have talked with some who have the small 45 or 60 watt basic systems found at Harbour Freight or Costco. They say they work well enough. When I chat with the solar supplier in Flagstaff, they want to sell me a single panel system of 215 watts. I do plan on an MPPT controller which is more efficient. The same place in Flagstaff has a smaller system at 140 watts.

I do not want to buy a system that will prove to be too small nor do I want to spend extra money I do not have to on a system which is way more than what we need.

So, shoot me back your thoughts and any information to help me make a smart purchase.

Regards,

Chas B. Wolfson

Look at the wattage of the items that you wish to power. Add up the wattage to see if the systems you are looking at can handle the load. I.E., an item that draws 1 amp = 120 watts. Volt X Watts = Amps/Amps X Volts = Watts. The wattage of most audio/video systems would quickly overwhelm any of the solar systems that you have listed.

I know this didn't help, thought you should know.

CS

You have a 4000 watt generator and an 800 watt inverter right now. So do you really think a 45 watt panel is going to replace that? I have the HB solar panels and on a good day they can't even keep an electronic cooler chest running, no way they will do your motor home.

Your run'n all that on a 800W inverter :huh:

Hope your inverter produces a true Sine wave, BTW.

I would cry once and get at least TWO of those 215W panels. If not THREE..........

I have a total of 1500 W in panels on my Lance Camper, and could not be more pleased in how fast they recharge the battery.

LG

Your run'n all that on a 800W inverter :huh:

Hope your inverter produces a true Sine wave, BTW.

I would cry once and get at least TWO of those 215W panels. If not THREE..........

I have a total of 1500 W in panels on my Lance Camper, and could not be more pleased in how fast they recharge the battery.

LG

What LG said! The only real purpose the solar cells could be considered used for would be to charge the batteries, not run anything directly. Its a real balancing act...the more money you spend the faster you can charge the batteries...just depends on how much it is worth to you.

:FlagAm: I never said I was going to run everything directly off the solar panels. As in the application they are designed for, the system would be used to refresh the batteries. As for the 800 watt inverter, using it to power the flat screen TV in the living area as well as the stereo and blue ray, that doesn't even come to maxing out the capacity of the inverter. Don't quite understand the "running all that off the inverter" comment.

:FlagAm: I never said I was going to run everything directly off the solar panels. As in the application they are designed for, the system would be used to refresh the batteries. As for the 800 watt inverter, using it to power the flat screen TV in the living area as well as the stereo and blue ray, that doesn't even come to maxing out the capacity of the inverter. Don't quite understand the "running all that off the inverter" comment.

My 'comment' came from the fact that 800W is only about 7amps, and that ain't much to run what you say your run'n...Then you also have to take into account the loss due to the inefficiency of inverters in general. So that is the "why" of my comment ;)

I also hope your inverter produces a true Sine wave for run'n the TV. Even a modified Sine wave is not the best for this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_inverter

LG

Archived