SASS Wire Forum

Need bore measurement of Uberti .36 Colt

long tall texan

Howdy,

Who can mike the barrel of Uberti .36 Colt for me? I'm looking for info on the newer manufacture as well as the very early ones. I'm much more familiar with the .44 Colt measurements, and Uberti seems not to make those oversize anymore. If you could, I'd also take chamber measurements. If I buy one at a distance, I'd like to know what to expect in terms of what they used to call windage - the amount of blowby when the ball doesn't fill the barrel. I have measurements for a CVA (ASM) and for 2nd Gen. Colt.

Howdy Long Tall,

I don't have a .36 to measure, but just as one more point of reference for you, Uberti specs say .36" bore and .379" groove (they don't mention cylinders).

http://cimarron-firearms.com/bore-groove-twist

Chambers are often undersized. Using a dead soft ball is necessary so that the ball can "bump up" to fill the barrel when fired.

I had a pair of guns bored out so that the cylinder was .002 over bore size. Did not like the results. Did not get the accuracy I expected. Would not do it again.

Wow! By the time you ram a .374 ball into a chamber that has to be tight enough to hold it (.372?) that will really cut down on the force of the powder!

Baloney. You are trying to out think these things. Aside from making loading easier, you use a dead soft (NOOOOOO alloy) ball so it will expand when it hits the forcing cone at the back of the barrel. (That's also why trying to be fancy and puting an 11 degree forcing cone on a C&B is a waste of time and often gives poor results.) Most C&Bs give remarkable accuracy. I've got 40 or 50 of them (orignals and reproductions) and everyone has the chambers smaller than the nominal bore size and everyone shoots fine.

.36's will either be .375 dia or .380. If you can find .380 use them you won't be sorry. In my 36's they like .380 but have shot .375 with no ill effect. Your key is in the cylinder, if you get a small lead ring when you press the ball in your good to go.

Best Too Ya,

Big Iron Buster

.36's will either be .375 dia or .380. If you can find .380 use them you won't be sorry. In my 36's they like .380 but have shot .375 with no ill effect. Your key is in the cylinder, if you get a small lead ring when you press the ball in your good to go.

Best Too Ya,

Big Iron Buster

Eggasctly! Since I've been told that Uberti made the parts for Colt's 2nd Gen C&B 1851s, and both of mine, plus the Signature Series and an ASM that was made of left-over Uberti parts all have cylinders and other parts that WILL interchange and all use .375 balls with no ill-effect; I'd firmly expect a Uberti to use the same size. Notice I said "expect"... doesn't mean they will. I've heard other say they have to use .380s in their Ubertis. Wait... but then again, I've heard others say thay HAVE to use .380s in their Colt 2nd Gen 1851s also. Who's right?

That part in red is the only correct answer I know of.

My Uberti .36 requires .380"ball, .. so all my .36's get .380"ball ..... simple :)

Yep, I cast my own pure lead balls at .380" and shoot them in all of my .36's.

Archived