SASS Wire Forum

Large pistol magnum primers in .45 Colt CAS loads?

Howdy. My recently acquired 73 chokes on my usual load using Winchester primers, so I have to load for it using Federals. The problem I have is that I have truckloads (well, figuratively) of Winchester large pistol primers, and only a part of a carton of Federals. It came to my attention this morning that a local shop has several thousand Federal large pistol magnum primers. My thinking is that since the Winchesters are for either standard or magnum loads, would it be an issue if I used the Federal magnum primers for my rifle loads? Would I need to reduce the powder charge? I'm loading W231. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"chokes" ? Does this mean primers won't fire ? If so, have you increased hammer spring tension screw ?

For the low pressure loads MOST cowboys shoot, a magnum pistol primer will work as well, maybe even better, than a standard pistol primer in 45 Colt loads. Only when you are running pressures near the maximum allowed, do you need to worry about the slightly hotter magnum primer putting you into danger. For your case, all the mag primer will do is ensure better ignition of your cowboy loads.

Shoot em up! I'd have you buy some for me if you weren't too far away to drive to. :huh:

Good luck, GJ

Increase hammer spring tension when using Winchester primers. Federal primers are softer than Winchester.

Ghost

If you do adjust the spring tension, try about 1/8 turn at a time .

Federal Magnum primers in everything...bigger spark

I use Federal Magnum LP primers when I can get them and Winchester when they are available. Lately I have only been able to acquire CCI large pistol primers. They all work, but I prefer Federal Magnum LP primers for the reasons stated above. I don't use FMLP primers in my 45 ACP loads, especially the ones loaded at the high end.

Some cowboy smiths take pride in lightening springs to the point where only light Federal primers will go bang, but I don't think they are doing their customers any favors. Sometimes Federal primers just aren't available.

I have no issues with Winchester primers in any of my guns except for one of my 73's that doesn't like 'em. So when I use that rifle I don't bring Win primers. Simple solution for my simple mind! :)

Rye

I have no issues with Winchester primers in any of my guns except for one of my 73's that doesn't like 'em. So when I use that rifle I don't bring Win primers. Simple solution for my simple mind! :)

Rye

Every time I try something like that I get stuff mixed up. If I need to burn off Winchester primers, I do it in my .45 ACP loads.

Thanks, folks. Looks like I'll avail myself of that gent's magnum primers as soon as I get to town.

Thanks again!

Archived