SASS Wire Forum

At what point does stockpiling, become hoarding?

Marshal Dan Troop 70448

My definition is this. It's very simple.

If you buy in large lots to save money and plan to use it all up at some foreseeable future, that's stockpiling. Case in point. Buying 10,000 small pistol primers when you use at least 5,000 a year.

If you shoot 200 rounds a year and buy 10,000 rounds, you are a hoarder. There's no way in God's Green Earth that you will live long enough to use up that stock.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My definition is this. It's very simple.

If you buy in large lots to save money and plan to use it all up at some foreseeable future, that's stockpiling. Case in point. Buying 10,000 small pistol primers when you use at least 5,000 a year.

If you shoot 200 rounds a year and buy 10,000 rounds, you are a hoarder. There's no way in God's Green Earth that you will live long enough to use up that stock.

I just bought 20,000 Federal small pistol primers @ $200 per sleeve (5,000). I'm going to keep 10,000 of them and sell the rest to pards in need for the same price I paid for them. This is to go along with the 13,000 that I had previous to this purchase. The way I figure it, I shoot about 7 to 8 thousand a year. I don't consider myself to be hoarding primers. I know that $200 a sleeve is kind of pricey but I don't know when I'll be able to get them again..........it is what it is.

CS

No good deed goes unpunished, right?? :angry::(

If you had not been a "weirdo hoarder sob" your "pard" wouldn't have gotten any primers from you in January. Call him back and tell him you thought about what he said and that you've decided to sell him some primers for $15.00/100, because at some point along the way, that number might seem cheap. Then, he'll have some other complimentary term for you, but it won't be "hoarder." :lol:

My opinion is that "stockpiling" is obtaining and maintaining a supply of material that you use on a regular basis and that you have solid, future plans to use and that you think may be unavailable, more costly, etc. in the future. In my opinion, a "stockpile" could be a 1-year to 5-year supply. For some items or commodities and individuals, maybe a 10-year supply is a reasonable "stockpile". I personally don't consider anything less than a 1-year supply to be a "stockpile." You have a reason to gather the stuff and not a mental disorder that compels you to do it.

"Hoarding" is a pathological and obsessive compulsion to obtain and keep material that you have no plan to use in the immediate future (i.e., that you will never use), to the detriment of yourself and/or others. You know that you will never use the stuff, yet you are mentally unable (causes great distress) to get rid of it.

The mother of a friend of mine had some twenty-five years-worth of the daily newspaper. She collected cardboard boxes, knocking them down and stacking them flat. She had tons of this fire-trap paper stuff in and out of the house. She also would compulsively buy Christmas decorations on sale after Christmas. She could have decorated 100 Christmas trees. Her sons went in, physically restrained her (today, they'd be in jail for this), brought in a gang of guys, and trucked all this stuff out (two big truck loads). They sold the tons of paper for its scrap value and donated all the other stuff. Mom got a tax writeoff for the donated Christmas stuff and cash from the sale of the paper.

+1

STOP!!!!!! buying ammo and components that you can't possibly shoot in the next year and everybody will soon be able to walk into any sporting goods store or gun shop and buy all the ammo or components you want at reasonable prices, just as you could 4 months ago.

I went to a gun show today and bought 200 rds of 5.56 because I didn't have any and I just got an AR-15 that I need to sight in. I will not be buying anymore until the prices come down to normal and I hope everybody who is selling at highly inflated prices gets stuck with the ammo & can't give it away. Price gougers are the bain of the shooting sports. $12 for 100 CCI 22 shorts. :angry:

Call it what you want and call me any names that you want but I have every intention of buying bullets, powder, primers and brass whenever and in how many quantities I can afford as the components come available on the market.

For me the worst possible thing that can happen is I will have a large quantity of reloading supplies if the American Caesar and his legions will drop their massive campaign to disarm as many Americans as possible.

On the other hand if the economy in the U.S. dives into a depression in the next two years as is widely predicted due to our massive debt, the dollar becoming less valuable as the Government starts to print more and more currency and with our right to own firearms hinging on a few Republicans deciding to "compromise" with "reasonable gun control" laws things are going to get far, far worse.

And the band played on as the Titantic sank,

SS you are part of the problem. You gonna be a one man army & fight the revolution all by yourself cause you're the only one with any ammo? That's what your post sounds like. As I said above if you and others like you would stop this hoarding in 6 months you'd be able to purchase all the ammo & powder, primers, & lead at normal prices. Wouldn't you rather buy a brick of primers for under $20? Or are you the kind that would rather pay $55 per 1,000 instead of getting 2 1/2 bricks for that price. Someone once said a fool and his money are soon parted. I guess you like paying $12 for 100 CCI 22 shorts.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I guess you like paying $12 for 100 CCI 22 shorts.

Hey Pard... hate to say this... in my experience, 22 shorts have always been much higher than 22lr's and longs during the last 6 to 10 years. Shorts have not been in great demand... supplies have been low... and have been mainly manufactured as a side novelty.

Second point... some folks have been accumulating stuff (alchohol, ammo, food, etc.) because the big-name preppers like John Wesley, Rawles... and others... have indicated that when TEOTWAWKI occurs... this stuff will be great for barter.

Not that I agree with the second point... but that is a great fear amongst many folks.

ts

STOP THE HORADING!!!

OK... I've stopped horading... ain't been with a hor in a long time.

ts

SS you are part of the problem. You gonna be a one man army & fight the revolution all by yourself cause you're the only one with any ammo? That's what your post sounds like. As I said above if you and others like you would stop this hoarding in 6 months you'd be able to purchase all the ammo & powder, primers, & lead at normal prices. Wouldn't you rather buy a brick of primers for under $20? Or are you the kind that would rather pay $55 per 1,000 instead of getting 2 1/2 bricks for that price. Someone once said a fool and his money are soon parted. I guess you like paying $12 for 100 CCI 22 shorts.

Thank You Col.

Col. Riddles, you said, "I went to a gun show today and bought 200 rds of 5.56 because I didn't have any and I just got an AR-15 that I need to sight in."

If I may be so bold to ask, where did you find the AR, what model/brand did you get, and what did you pay?

Here in the DFW area I can find NONE that are even CLOSE to reasonably priced!

I have "STOCKPILED" the $$$ for another AR (M4 A3 or A4) and a nice red dot or ACOG scope, but the shelves are bare.

I will be in Mudland the weekend of April20,21, & 22. If there are more for sale, PM me so I can make arrangements to "do the deal" when I am visiting mom.

Thanx..SOso

You fellas bellyaching 'bout "hoarding"... y'all propose that the folks who bought long before the shortage... take that ammo back to the "gettin-place"... and get their money back?

IMHO... with BO's re-election... the cow has done left the barn... and no amount of door-shuttin' is gonna put that cow back in the barn.

And if times get worse... the situation will get worse. Heck... one day... money might not mean nothin'... notta... zilch.. of zero importance.

Reminds me of a long ago episode of the Twilight Zone. These fellas stole a gold shipment... and then hid out in a cave way out in the desert. They were able to seal theirselves up in these capsules which enabled them to sleep without aging... for a hunnert years. When they woke up... their truck would not start... they had no transportation and water... and had all that gold to tote in the desert. As the last thief died of thirst out on a desert highway... this futuristic car come along. This future-fella gets outta that car... and says... "This poor dead guy is carrying gold... something worthless that we have been able to manufacture for a long time." Money... and possibly ammo... might not mean much... sometime in the future. Neither means much to a dead person.

But look folks... I respect everbody's opine... and especially you fellas respondin' to this fine thread.

ts

GCK, you're absolutely correct. But many of us also frequent other shooting forums and we can spread the word wherever we go. We needn't take the attitude that we can do nothing about it, so let's join the hoarders.

HS stockpiling is buying enough supplies and ammo to last you for a certain period of time. Hoarding is when one buys far more than they can possibly use in the foreseeable future. Some of those hoarders are black marketeers who are selling hard to come by commodities at highly inflated prices for pure profit. I suspect some of those may be right here amongst us. I'm not sure but I seam to recollect that those type of folks were despised during WWII and were jailed.

Maybe that's the answer to todays problem. During WWII just about everything was rationed & laws were passed against black marketing. Many times when there is no further need for a certain law it's simply forgotten about and never removed from the books. Maybe some law clerk could research some old laws and find out.

Col. Riddles, with respect for your opinion, sir, I believe you are simply wrong. And sir, buying a commodity at a lower price in order to sell it at a higher price isn't "black marketeering"...it is capitalism. That other economic system, where those in power take from those who have and allocate to those who don't, based on "need," doesn't seem to work that well...ask the bank depositors in Cyprus.

Wolf Bane

Occupied Colorado

SASS13557

I've know several people who work at guns stores. They are telling me that when they get the popular ammo in, it does not go on the shelves. It gets left in the back room and sold at highly inflated prices on Gun Broker. They will sell you one box of ammo with a gun purchase. I have been seeing AR-15's back on the shelves lately. Prices are still a little high but they are available. I guess I'll sit back and wait on this to blow over. I hope it blows over. :blush:

HS stockpiling is buying enough supplies and ammo to last you for a certain period of time. Hoarding is when one buys far more than they can possibly use in the foreseeable future.

Hmmm...like saving money in the bank instead of spending it to keep the economy growing and keeping folks employed.

I suspect some of those may be right here amongst us. I'm not sure but I seam to recollect that those type of folks were despised during WWII and were jailed.

Maybe that's the answer to todays problem. During WWII just about everything was rationed & laws were passed against black marketing. Many times when there is no further need for a certain law it's simply forgotten about and never removed from the books. Maybe some law clerk could research some old laws and find out.

There's the answer. Simply ban any future purchases of guns and ammo to civilians based on the laws that were in force during W.W.II. Like minded citizens will be recruited by the Government in their community to ensure the laws are enforced and to spy on their neighbors and report them. Heck we can even use the same laws the Government used for the relocation and internment by the United States government in 1942 of about 110,000 Japanese Americans and Japanese and deny the right to own firearms to any minority group we don't like.

I've know several people who work at guns stores. They are telling me that when they get the popular ammo in, it does not go on the shelves. It gets left in the back room and sold at highly inflated prices on Gun Broker. They will sell you one box of ammo with a gun purchase. I have been seeing AR-15's back on the shelves lately. Prices are still a little high but they are available. I guess I'll sit back and wait on this to blow over. I hope it blows over. :blush:

I have to agree with you. I also see dealers selling primers on GunBrokers, instead of in the stores to their customers. Call it whatever, greed, capitalism, etc. This also adds to panic, and shortages by keeping it off the shelves. One must ask, if the manufacturers are running increased production on components, and finished product, where's it going, who's getting them, and why is there a shortage still?

As to affecting some CASs, on shortages, I do know some that are affected and have cut back, or stopped.

There are several Military sites, in which I see, almost daily, selling AR15s. Last week an original A1, went for 1600.00, non for over 1700.00.

I can't believe CASs are hoarding, most go through a lot of ammo in a year. Practice, monthlies, annuals, state, and EOT, etc. matches. Most will loan, firearms, ammo to newbies, and those that have problems with their firearms or ammo. MT

I will add, that I have been asked, PMd, E-Mailed by some that are running short about my opinion on making monthlies with some stages only one pistol when it also calls for rifle, or 2 pistols with under 10 rounds for the rifle, etc. so they can continue to shoot and still compete. I don't know the answers, but there are some of out partners on limited budgets that didn't stockpile for various reasons, for some it was funds, for some it was the sudden impact of shortages on the shelves.

How long this will last? Maybe for the next 4 years with all the unsettlement, and worries of retrictions and laws coming to gunowners and shooters. MT

Assuming I continue shooting at the current rate, if I don't acquire more primers I will have to reconsider my shooting after September of this year. Since I want to sign up for a big annual and a state meet in October and maybe a regional shortly thereafter, the primer shortage has me concerned.

I guess I need to make sure from now on that I have at least 1 years supply in my magazine. I am not sure having that many primers around the house is all that safe, but I guess that is what I am going to have to do.

I have one suggestion, the big internet retailer based in Columbia, Missouri, could limit purchasers to 1000 a time. That way they could thank 5 happy customers per case for their business instead of one. Today I got a notice Winchester Primers were available. Within 20 minutes I looked at my email and tried to purchase, only to see the notice that they had already sold out. I called to find out what gives and the nice young man told me they sold out within seconds. Apparently there are apps that make purchases automatically on notification.

Archived