SASS Wire Forum

At what point does stockpiling, become hoarding?

Marshal Dan Troop 70448

One of my shooting buddies called this morning that he is running out of primers, and asked if I had any to spare, (I already had sold him some in January). I told him seeing how long this has lasted, and seeming worst then last time, I'm not selling anymore.

He (really) hinted that I was hoarding supplies. Made me think, when is accumulating, stockpiling, become "hoarding"? Or make someone think you might have to much? MT

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to ensure that i have enough stock for the wife and myself to fulfill all our shooting needs for 2 years. I feel that is prudent as that is probably the maximum time that shortages generated by political events will last.

When you have more that you will load this month, it's wise planning and stocking up.

When your "buddy" has more than he will load this month, it's hoarding. :lol:

A classic argument technique - if you don't like what someone is doing, or a point they are trying to make, you try to paint them as a bad person by calling them an unflattering name.

Let it go. At this point, his lack of planning for a fairly foreseeable political event has him kicking himself, and now he wants to kick you too. Ain't your fault.

Good luck, GJ

Hoarding...no.. stock piling.. yes..

Went thru it 4 years ago.. got caught tryin' ta find primers.. made do with what I found..

Had some missfires from buying harder primers than I liked..

When primers became available.. I bought.. Everyone else could have also..

For Lacey and I, we have enough primers for maybe a couple years..

with all of this years already loaded..

I've offered to sell some to local shooters in a fix.. shortage of primers.. will continue to do so..

Run myself short.. nope..but will help when I can..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I was there :blush: .. now I'm not.. :)

I purchased my 'stock' over the past couple years, when EVERYTHING was still available to everyone.

Good planning on my part.

I don't have enough primers, powder and bullets to share (sell or give away). I'm not a hoarder.

But I did have a few extra .22 bricks to share and I have been able to help a buckaroo with some of those. Problem is, I don't have much more to keep helping. I hope those become available SOON.

..........Widder

If you honestly don't think you will use all the supplies you have purchased, then I would call it hoarding. I don't think a real friend would accuse another friend of hoarding.

Only when family members get involved, camara crew comes in, starts filming and you get 15 minutes of time on youtube! :D:D :D

One of my shooting buddies called this morning that he is running out of primers, and asked if I had any to spare, (I already had sold him some in January). I told him seeing how long this has lasted, and seeming worst then last time, I'm not selling anymore.

He (really) hinted that I was hoarding supplies. Made me think, when is accumulating, stockpiling, become "hoarding"? Or make someone think you might have to much? MT

When you won't loan or sell some to a "buddy".

Fillmore

Each person I s different. Depends on how much you shoot. If you have 100,000 primers and you average ten rounds a year, your hoarding. If you have 100,000 and you shoot regularly you probably need too buy some more. Right now i have only enough to get me through state i keep my eyes open and pick then up when i can

I purchased my 'stock' over the past couple years, when EVERYTHING was still available to everyone.

I don't have enough primers, powder and bullets to share (sell or give away). I'm not a hoarder.

But I did have a few extra .22 bricks to share and I have been able to help a buckaroo with some of those. Problem is, I don't have much more to keep helping. I hope those become available SOON.

..........Widder

.22 ammo is available if you're willing to pay the price. Just got several bricks .Federal 22lr hp online, 525 rounds, just under $100 a brick. Sold out now, but they come available every couple of days. Now there are .22lr solid points available, 375 rounds, $140, which is more than I'm going to pay.

There's an automated search online that checks automatically what's in stock where, Gunbot (http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/22lr/). They have other calibers in their list, .38, .45 ACP, and .357 among them, but not 45 LC.

The problem is you have to check the list very often. When the Federal .22s came available they sold out in less than 30 minutes. If you have an account and are logged in you can set it to play an alert sound for you when ammo of your choice becomes available.

There's an automated search online that checks automatically what's in stock where, Gunbot (http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/22lr/). They have other calibers in their list, .38, .45 ACP, and .357 among them, but not 45 LC.

The problem is you have to check the list very often. When the Federal .22s came available they sold out in less than 30 minutes. If you have an account and are logged in you can set it to play an alert sound for you when ammo of your choice becomes available.

Dang.. this sounds like too much work fer me.. :D:D

If you shoot right regular like ,,,,,,,,,, Anything less than needed to load 250,000 rounds is being short-sighted .....

And anything over that needed to load a 1,000,000 rounds is hoarding .....

Jabez Cowboy

I have fewer than 1000 primers. I have fewer than 200 rounds of .22 LR. I expect NOT to be shooting CAS or .22LR right away. I got caught short after letting stocks dwindle before a move. Nobody to blame. I was always good at keeping ahead, but when ya don't, ya simply gotta adjust...

I have enough to keep me shooting for a year or so. But if I came across more at a reasonable price I'd buy enough for another year or so.

I reckon there are several categories

- caught unprepared

- planned ahead

- hoarding

- profiteering

When it comes to play ammo, that's really not all that serious.....

When it comes to serious loads, you're only gonna need so much.... is that a drone...?????

cpbc

I have fewer than 1000 primers. I have fewer than 200 rounds of .22 LR. I expect NOT to be shooting CAS or .22LR right away. I got caught short after letting stocks dwindle before a move. Nobody to blame. I was always good at keeping ahead, but when ya don't, ya simply gotta adjust...

I know a couple CAS who do not re-load, buying factory ammo, who no longer shoot because they can't find any. One who would like to start re-loading, but has nothing but empty cases to start. I told him I have powder to get him started. He said he has been on several sites, waiting for them to contact him when they have primers to sell. He thought about the outrageous prices realized on Gunbroker, but won't go that far to start. MT

Poor planning on your part does not make an emergency on mine. :wacko: However if I have enough to help out a pard I will, I've been helped before, but that was rude to call you a hoarder......I try to keep three years worth of stuff if I can afford it. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Sounds like you planned ahead and he didn't. It also sounds like you helped him out and repaid you poorly. Blackwater Bob (I'm pretty sure that's his alias) seems to have a pretty good supply. He was selling them at SC State for $180 per 5K. I'm pretty sure he'll be at GA State next month, perhaps your buddy should stop by and resupply?

..........Widder

:)

.22 ammo is available if you're willing to pay the price. Just got several bricks .Federal 22lr hp online, 525 rounds, just under $100 a brick. Sold out now, but they come available every couple of days. Now there are .22lr solid points available, 375 rounds, $140, which is more than I'm going to pay.

Gunbroker has them at the prices you mentioned, but if you're patient you can get them for less. People post them with very short auction times or with screwed up titles that don't show up in the most common searches. I've been able to make my last three purchases this year all for less than .10 per round. I have 675 coming today that I bought for $65 delivered. Still hard to keep up though, the little fella is running through about 600-700 a month.

$10 per box for 22LR, Sure hope that was Eley Match stuff capable of winning the olympic small bore comp. Sadly it was remington

As to the basic question when stocking up becomes hording - when other peoples need / greed and governmental interference with the market place interferes with my ability to acquire normally readily available items absent a real natural disaster interfers with distribution systems. The National Disaster of a 2nd term does not qualify but perhaps extremely large federal purrchase do artificially create a real shortage.

I don't consider myself a hoarder. I prefer the word "prepper". I have had to curtail my 22 lr shooting. My .22 supply is getting short. I have been buying lead bullets lately because they are still available. Buy in bulk when nobody else is interested and you can weather the shortages and inflated prices.

No good deed goes unpunished, right?? :angry::(

If you had not been a "weirdo hoarder sob" your "pard" wouldn't have gotten any primers from you in January. Call him back and tell him you thought about what he said and that you've decided to sell him some primers for $15.00/100, because at some point along the way, that number might seem cheap. Then, he'll have some other complimentary term for you, but it won't be "hoarder." :lol:

My opinion is that "stockpiling" is obtaining and maintaining a supply of material that you use on a regular basis and that you have solid, future plans to use and that you think may be unavailable, more costly, etc. in the future. In my opinion, a "stockpile" could be a 1-year to 5-year supply. For some items or commodities and individuals, maybe a 10-year supply is a reasonable "stockpile". I personally don't consider anything less than a 1-year supply to be a "stockpile." You have a reason to gather the stuff and not a mental disorder that compels you to do it.

"Hoarding" is a pathological and obsessive compulsion to obtain and keep material that you have no plan to use in the immediate future (i.e., that you will never use), to the detriment of yourself and/or others. You know that you will never use the stuff, yet you are mentally unable (causes great distress) to get rid of it.

The mother of a friend of mine had some twenty-five years-worth of the daily newspaper. She collected cardboard boxes, knocking them down and stacking them flat. She had tons of this fire-trap paper stuff in and out of the house. She also would compulsively buy Christmas decorations on sale after Christmas. She could have decorated 100 Christmas trees. Her sons went in, physically restrained her (today, they'd be in jail for this), brought in a gang of guys, and trucked all this stuff out (two big truck loads). They sold the tons of paper for its scrap value and donated all the other stuff. Mom got a tax writeoff for the donated Christmas stuff and cash from the sale of the paper.

When you continue to buy but never shoot. That applies to me.

I know a couple CAS who do not re-load, buying factory ammo, who no longer shoot because they can't find any. One who would like to start re-loading, but has nothing but empty cases to start. I told him I have powder to get him started. He said he has been on several sites, waiting for them to contact him when they have primers to sell. He thought about the outrageous prices realized on Gunbroker, but won't go that far to start. MT

Oh this is a sorry time to be a noob, that's for sure. I year ago I thought nothing of giving away a few hundred bucks worth of supplies because I didn't want to carry that much stuff that could go "boom" in a travel trailer I was living in.... But I'm not complaining. Stuff happens. Git a helmet. ;) As my granny used to say "this too shall pass".

If the stores would just double the prices, it would probably discourage the hard core hoarders and the "people" just trying to make big bucks on re-selling.

Then when things returned to normal, (after everyone realizes that the government is not going to outlaw reloading or put a tax on dies or tax loading machines or confiscate progressive loaders and not return them until the fire marshal approved where it was used in your house), then the

prices could be returned to normal.

But, it will never happen.

If the stores would just double the prices, it would probably discourage the hard core hoarders and the "people" just trying to make big bucks on re-selling.

Then when things returned to normal, (after everyone realizes that the government is not going to outlaw reloading or put a tax on dies or tax loading machines or confiscate progressive loaders and not return them until the fire marshal approved where it was used in your house), then the

prices could be returned to normal.

But, it will never happen.

Lots of stuff IS happening we never thought would happen. 7 round magazine limits, permits to purchase ammo, and talk of requiring a million dollar insurance policy to own a gun..... Ya know, times ARE changing, and it will take a SCOTUS decision that makes Heller look like a finger wag to get the State legislators and Governors to stop using gun owners as whipping boys for their grandstanding. "It's for the children" my azz!

It's stockpiling when I do it, it's hoarding if you do it and have more than I do :D :D :D

The Grizz is right.

Archived