SASS Wire Forum

Montana State Championship

Charlie Whiskers

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bribe someone Gus so you can make it.BUT leave that whirling devious thing at home. :lol:

The Whirling Dervish is NOT a traveling target. At first I designed it to be taken apart to move but then it turned out it had to be broken down into 10 parts. At that point I decided to put wheels on it.

SCG

OK, I've decided on a category - the registration goes in the mail Tuesday.

Now, 'bout time to get the pye a'cookin', eh? New recipe this year using rum and hot schnapps. ;)

OK, I've decided on a category - the registration goes in the mail Tuesday.

Now, 'bout time to get the pye a'cookin', eh? New recipe this year using rum and hot schnapps. ;)

Well, don't keep us in suspence.

What category ???????

I'm go'n shoot gunfighter, so beware. :blink::D

I'm thinkin' Frontier Cartridge Duelist is my game this year. ;)

Ok...just to be nice to you for a change....no single shot shotgun.BUT you do have to use your 18inch buntlines and Spencer. :lol:

If things work out we'll have a Black Pin,Black Badge,whatever you want to call him at the State shoot for those wanting to take RO 1 & 2 courses.Not sure when but til we know for sure we're not posting times for the courses.

If things work out we'll have a Black Pin,Black Badge,whatever you want to call him at the State shoot for those wanting to take RO 1 & 2 courses.Not sure when but til we know for sure we're not posting times for the courses.

Well,sorry to say it sounds like we won't be having RO classes at the shoot.With the amount of time needed for each course and only being a 3 day shoot (1day for side matches) plus side matches after the main match saturday for those that couldn't make it friday;we just won't have the time to do it.If we can figure something out,it may happen,but I doubt it as of now.

• 2 weeks later...

How much ammo is required for the Long Range side matches, and should I pack my knee & elbow pads for it? It sucks getting older!

How much ammo is required for the Long Range side matches, and should I pack my knee & elbow pads for it? It sucks getting older!

Dick...maybe the elbow pads.As far as I know there'll be chairs to sit on and a bench to shoot off of.As for rounds you'll need JBar can probably answer that better than me.He shoots long range.Our farthest target is 508 yds.May want sight it shots for that.

I bring a box of 50 for each long range side match event and have never had a problem running short of ammo.

We don't separate smokeless and black in our single shot side match, nor "big bore" (Buffalo rifle) or "small bore". Targets are usually at four ranges, with the longest being the aforementioned 508 yards, and the match consists of ten shots. In the case of multiple competitors scoring 10/10, the winner is determined by time. We've had shoot offs before when multiple competitors were tied, but that can get quite time consuming.

Last year, our long range rifle caliber levergun side match consisted of ten shots at two ranges. IIRC, the longest was ~250 yards and the close one... 160(?)... 170(?)... with five shots on each one.

The long range pistol caliber levergun match was quite close last year... maybe 75 yards(?), but was shot offhand - I didn't do so well on that one, but I won the other two, both 10/10 with a .45-70 Sharps, black powder, 530 Postell and a Winchester M94 .38-55, smokeless, 250 BBFN. :) It was the first time I ever won either one of them, so I like to brag about it when I can. :D

• 2 weeks later...

My inquiry about the long range protocol this year was answered with, "It will be the same as last year".

Last year, it was off cross sticks or sitting or off hand, however you wanted to do it, but not off a bench rest. Distances were 242 yards, 408 yards, and 505 yards for single shot and 175 & 242 for rifle cal lever action. I think single shot was 3 @ 242, 3 @ 408, and 4 @ 505. Rifle cal lever gun was 5 @ 175 and 5 @ 242.

I planned on shooting your long range this year. Got the cases prepped, powdered, primed, card wads placed, and realized i'm outta slugs! I shoot 535 postells, .459 diameter, from buffalo arms. They're out of them, so I have some back ordered. If anyone has those particular bullets, i'd b glad to buy them, and seat them at the range!

I've got a few extra after my reloading session, Lunger. Mine are cast from a Lyman mold, 457132 I think, which is likely the same mold Buffalo Arms uses. How many?

For black powder, I use a mix of soy wax and white Crisco, which works well for smokeless too, or I can use a conventional bullet lube.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!! I woulda replied a little sooner but my new hired man froze up on the north side of a hill with my tractor. He's not used to farming in the palouse. He's probably gonna have a few drinks, come quitting time. Lol!!!!!!

HA! I've got a cousin who farms here and also owns another small farm over that way - 6 or 700 acres - and he's scared to ride the equipment with them!

Archived