SASS Wire Forum

Nephew needs some AR tips

Down side of a 1 point sling, is that the weapon will bang into everydangthing when you bend over etc. IF your not hold'n on to it.

A 3 point gives the shooter much more control.

http://www.luckygunner.com/three-point-sling-blackhawk-swift-70gs17bk

YMMV,

LG

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Single-point will allow the wrong long arm to painfully play with yore twins, too. Ouch...

ts

As far as triggers Geissele and JP make the best. I prefer the Geissele (SD3) Super dynamic 3 gun trigger this is a straight trigger and not curved.

I hope this helps good luck

CW

I have 2 JP Rifles 1 CTR-1 and a brand new CTR-2 and the triggers are awesome. With that said I don't think I would have them or any other competition trigger in my duty/self defense rifle. They can be finniky and they are made for competition use only, not duty use. That's why I like the Timmny and the Chip McCormmick one piece triggers. They are made for duty use, have a great feel, and are easy to maintain unlike the multipiece compitition triggers. Again, this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

I also made a little video of my duty/disaster defense rifle with some of the mods done to it. It's a S&W M&P15T. Some of the other things I have done to it that are not mentioned in the video are...I have a Pentagonlight MS3R 135 lumen light, an endine buffer installed, A rubber buttplate, Hogue grip, a I forget the brand name cheek piece that stores extra flashlight batteries in, 3 point sling connected with GG&G adaptors, and several beta and P mags for it. I also swapped out the crappy factory Troy iron sights for a set of GG&Gs. I pretty much shoot only Hornady 63gr Tap in this one but it has shot anything I have run through it and shot it well, even the Wolf steel case crap. It's a great rifle for it's intended purpose.

I'm not a vidiographer so bear with the quality. :P

JEL

John E. Law, your video is private, I can't see it.

Geissele makes both duty and competition triggers the Geissele SSA is a duty trigger. My favorite sling is the Boonie Packer 2 point, don't let the low price fool you, this is a top quality sling.

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=26

I use a Noveske QD end plate, but Fortis and Daniel Defense make similar ones.

Make sure your light is a weapon light, not just a flash light. Most of the difference in a cheap light and an expensive one is in the switch. A cheap switch is not likely to hold up to recoil long.I don't like pressure switches that connect to the light with a cable, just something else to get caught on something and ripped off. Most "experts" will advise mounting the light above the bore, as close to the 12 o'clock position as possible. Below the bore,

6 o'clock, can throw a shadow, from the barrel, into your line of sight. If you're shooting over cover, you'll have to raise the gun higher to use the light, if it's below the barrel.

Sorry, Try the video now it should work. I must have hit a wrong button.

As for the Giesselle triggers. I do not have any personal experiance with them so my post was just an opinionated statement, Thay may have other triggers that are for this purpose but I was referenceing an earlier post that speciffacally stated the Geissele SD3 Super Dynamic 3 Gun trigger, even their website says,

"The Geissele Super Dynamic Triggers are a derivitive of our selective fire combat triggers and are ideally suited for 3 Gun competition shooting." Then it has posted: Note: The SD3G trigger has a very short, light pull and reset. We do not recommend it for duty use, bench rest, accuracy work or shooting small groups.

Again, I don't have any experience with that particular trigger and it may be awesome, (and after reading about it I may even pick one up for a lower I'm building) but my point was I, personally, for my duty/self defense rifle will stay with a trigger that is specifically designed for defense use and not competition. It may just be psycological thing but when I read "for competition use" I see Murphy (murphy's law) around every corner. :ph34r:

GG was asking for suggestions for his nephew. It's his rifle and his money so he can put whatever he wants on it, that's why ARs are so much fun!!

JEL

Geissele makes both duty and competition triggers the Geissele SSA is a duty trigger.

CRP, I found the SSA on thier site and it is for LEO use. The springs look much beefier in the SSA than they do in the S3G

JEL

As to AR15s, I have 2, one for the wife, and one for me. One is a A1, the other an A2. Both have Colt scope mounts and 3-12X50 scopes with red and green available lighted centers, also windage and bullet drop hairs. Quick mount to handle with single screw and are always on line. We shoot to 250 yds, limited only by ranges. Up to 100yds we use the iron sights. We kept the military configurations with no need for add ons, since we use them for long-range shooting.

BlueJeans is quite skillfull up to 200yds, keeping all in bullseye, and enjoys the configuration and lightness, small recoil.

Except for matches, we use factory ammo for fun, serious shooting, we use re-loads. MT

Hey, at least I put on a pair of shorts and moved all of the baby toys out of the picture . :P

JEL

I have 2 JP Rifles 1 CTR-1 and a brand new CTR-2 and the triggers are awesome. With that said I don't think I would have them or any other competition trigger in my duty/self defense rifle. They can be finniky and they are made for competition use only, not duty use. That's why I like the Timmny and the Chip McCormmick one piece triggers. They are made for duty use, have a great feel, and are easy to maintain unlike the multipiece compitition triggers. Again, this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

I also made a little video of my duty/disaster defense rifle with some of the mods done to it. It's a S&W M&P15T. Some of the other things I have done to it that are not mentioned in the video are...I have a Pentagonlight MS3R 135 lumen light, an endine buffer installed, A rubber buttplate, Hogue grip, a I forget the brand name cheek piece that stores extra flashlight batteries in, 3 point sling connected with GG&G adaptors, and several beta and P mags for it. I also swapped out the crappy factory Troy iron sights for a set of GG&Gs. I pretty much shoot only Hornady 63gr Tap in this one but it has shot anything I have run through it and shot it well, even the Wolf steel case crap. It's a great rifle for it's intended purpose.

I'm not a vidiographer so bear with the quality. :P

JEL

Thanks for your post - nice stuff!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Single-point will allow the wrong long arm to painfully play with yore twins, too. Ouch...

ts

Yup, I like the 2 point Vtac sling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YhojNCdksYw

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Yup, I like the 2 point Vtac sling.

Me too... I got one with the Uturn Bob modification... so's I won't accidentally hang myself one day whilst ridin' my horse.

ts

I also like the EOTechs. But if budget is an issue, take a look at some of what Vortec has to offer. The Vortec SPARC is nice, seems rugged, and under $200. And theirs nothing wrong with plain iron sights, And an aftermarket trigger should be on the list. The Rock River Arms 2 stage National Match trigger is also less than $200 and a great trigger for the $$. I mounted a Surefire G3 light using a single scope mount - total price around $50. And a comfortable sling. Like others have stated, don't over do it with accessories. KISS is best. My 2 cents.

Bucky

Archived