SASS Wire Forum

Nephew needs some AR tips

Heyya pards...my nephew sent me this message yesterday:

Hey there Uncle Gatlin!!

This is your nephew shooter Mcgavin : ) Happy Easter!! .. .. Just got me a Colt AR15 6940le and was wondering if you could maybe point me in the right direction as far as what kind of attachments are good. its got the 16 inch barrel so I thought a scope would be in order but then again i kinda like the holographic sights too. Also I was thinking about getting a fore grip. Not really sure what is good yet. LOL plus its hard to find any dang 5.56 ammo for a descent price, any suggetions? Thanks Uncle P.J

Please post any thing you can help with - I'd like to send him this link so he can learn about and enjoy his new rifle.

Thanks...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Thanks guys - anymore info on applicable accessories like the fore grip, or heat shield panels, stocks, trigger set-up would be great too. I am sending him this link so maybe he can chime in as a 'guest' to me more specific to his inquiry.

Your help - as always - is appreciated. :D

Oversized mag release and an oversized bolt release are handy. I also put a drop in 1 piece Timney trigger in my duty rifle. The trigger is much much better, very reliable, and it is super easy to maintain. Also have him check out several suppliers.

Magpul

Noveske

GG&G

LaRue Tactical

JP Enterprise

The AR is a shooter's Barbie Doll and has lots and lots of options to choose from.

JEL

Tell'm to start read'n.

http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php

http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_.html

Have him read those forums BEFORE he buys anydangthing.

Ammo source and good folks to deal with.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=21&name=.223%2f5.56x45

I like the ACOG I have, because I'm 'on target' from inside the house, out to 800yds with NO sight adjustments. ;)

Building an AR is very hard to do at this time.

Another good outfit to deal with.

http://www.primaryarms.com/

LG

Gunner, I've got a collapsible stock and a forward vertical handgrip on mine. For some reason I had a hard time finding a comfortable grip on the factory forearm. The vertical grip solves that (for me) very nicely. I also installed a one point sling for ease of carry.

Verticle foregrips just get in the way imho. A good optical sight like the Acog are a great thing. Optics Planet has some good deals.

Good quality drop in trigger. Look around for a comfortable stock.

Avoid the tendency to hang everything but the kitchen sink on it.

Magpul

Yankee Hill

Bravo Company

And like LG said..Read up.

Depends on how deep his pockets are. ;)

I am not a big fan of red-dot sights...but then again I am color blind. I do find that a good scope really helps at coyote range, so I mounted a Leopold in a Wilson Mount. The scope comes on aand off without affecting zero. A set of Yankee Hill flip up sights for less than coyote range. And thats it. KISS is the best military acronym. :)

AR's are Barbie dolls for boys. There are more accessories available than you can possibly hang. Problem is by the time you have your vert foregrip, flashlight, red laser, green laser (for day use), scope, red dot, back up open sites, 1 2 and 3 point sling mounts, cigarette lighter, bottle opening and toilet paper roll the dang thing weighs a ton. Kinda like seeing the soccer mom in town driving a $100K SUV. There is no real need for it, the SUV will never leave the paved roads of the city but the soccer mom thinks she needs it...same thing with most of the tactical gear you see mounted on the AR's at the range. Then again, the zombie apocalypse can happen at any moment.

Right now my AR is sporting Magpul stocks, and a magpul rear sight. I have a scope I put on it when I want a little more precision (quick detach mount). I am toying with the idea of a flashlight, but that is about it.

I also have a Colt 6940, I would suggest shooting for a while then decide on options. Spend money on training, mags and ammo first.I did not like the factory trigger and put in a Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA). I have a Magpul STR stock, a flashlight and a two point sling. I dislike the single and three point slings. I have a Aimpoint T1 micro which I love but would get more accuracy with a scope.

Sling, flashlight, optics in that order of importance, every thing else is just added weight.

Hey guys! Thank you all for the suggestions and input! AR's are like men Barbie dolls lol.. I definitely like the EOtech holographic sight and they don't seem as pricey as the ACOG. I might wait a while to buy a sight for this AR until I can effectively shoot good groups using the iron sights from at least 250-300 yrds. I'm not sure what range those iron sights become inadequate. So far the only things I have bought are 3 magpul 30 rnd mags and about 700 rnds of various .223 and 5.56 bullets. I was thinking of at least checking out the 20$ fore grip to see if its a good fit for me since its pretty cheap and getting later either an ACOG or EOTech sight. I would like a sight I could use for both close and long range scenarios. I'm not sure if the ACOG is designed more for long range shooting. I got the rifle at walmart ( lol ) for 1500 $ and figured if obama tries to ban production of them I would never get one so I hopped on it while I had a chance. I primarily want the gun for family protection for things like natural disaster or economical breakdown where civilians become hostile. The trigger seems to be a significant upgrade from the sounds of it so I think that's on my list of upgrades. Anyone have any experience with silencers on an AR? I think legally in AZ we can own one and I might be able to get one for like 600$. Thanks again for all your help and comments wish I could go to the range with guys someday! Thanks uncle P.J

Hey guys! Thank you all for the suggestions and input! AR's are like men Barbie dolls lol.. I definitely like the EOtech holographic sight and they don't seem as pricey as the ACOG. I might wait a while to buy a sight for this AR until I can effectively shoot good groups using the iron sights from at least 250-300 yrds. I'm not sure what range those iron sights become inadequate. So far the only things I have bought are 3 magpul 30 rnd mags and about 700 rnds of various .223 and 5.56 bullets. I was thinking of at least checking out the 20$ fore grip to see if its a good fit for me since its pretty cheap and getting later either an ACOG or EOTech sight. I would like a sight I could use for both close and long range scenarios. I'm not sure if the ACOG is designed more for long range shooting. I got the rifle at walmart ( lol ) for 1500 $ and figured if obama tries to ban production of them I would never get one so I hopped on it while I had a chance. I primarily want the gun for family protection for things like natural disaster or economical breakdown where civilians become hostile. The trigger seems to be a significant upgrade from the sounds of it so I think that's on my list of upgrades. Anyone have any experience with silencers on an AR? I think legally in AZ we can own one and I might be able to get one for like 600$. Thanks again for all your help and comments wish I could go to the range with guys someday! Thanks uncle P.J

:) Good group of fellas here my good nephew. Maybe...just maybe you can check out some cowboy action shooting in AZ too. Now...you best be working' on that golf game too....Love ya....say ' hi' to the family.

GG

Mags, ammo, training. Lots.

Toys can come after.

Cant say it better, shoot it a lot, learn what it can do.......basic rifle skills will take him miles further than all the tacticool gunshow crap he can strap on it....

Read up on the E O tech issues, and you'll see why the ACOG is a better choice.

My sil's EO just went TU today, and he uses in his work(LEO).

LG

The EOTech is a very good product though. Its a favorite with the MSP here. Of course the L3 factory is right down the street from me.

GG

There are a number of optical sights that take a 2 to 4x magnifier accessory to extend the range. The ACOG is one. Pricey but effective.

A cheaper alternative is the Vortex Srikerfire, which comes with a 2x magnifier for about $200.

The Acog trijicon uses no batteries. That's a plus. And it's VERY tough.

At my age iron sights aren't much help over 150 yards or so. As a youngster it was different. :(

A suppressor on an AR will work but takes some maintenance after a short time or it becomes ineffective. Plus the bolt is pretty noisy when it cycles. Best bet for a really quite supressed gun is a bolt action 22lr in my opinion.

I have the ACOG TA-31DOC on my duty AR. It's built like a tank and works awesome. You have the 4x for anything out past 50yds and the Docktor Red Dot on top for CQB. I teach the Shoot House Tatics Course for my agency and I think it's the best of both worlds. The EOtech has one advantage and that's the ability to co-index your iron/flip up sights through the optic but I know a lot of LEOs who's EOtechs have taken a dump right in the middle of a class and if it will do it there you know it will do it when you need it most.

To solve my issues with the possibility of my ACOG breaking I put a GG&G quick release on it. Quick on and off and really holds the zero well.

JEL

I have the ACOG TA-31DOC on my duty AR. It's built like a tank and works awesome. You have the 4x for anything out past 50yds and the Docktor Red Dot on top for CQB. I teach the Shoot House Tatics Course for my agency and I think it's the best of both worlds. The EOtech has one advantage and that's the ability to co-index your iron/flip up sights through the optic but I know a lot of LEOs who's EOtechs have taken a dump right in the middle of a class and if it will do it there you know it will do it when you need it most.

To solve my issues with the possibility of my ACOG breaking I put a GG&G quick release on it. Quick on and off and really holds the zero well.

JEL

Regarding the EOTech: Is that a malfunction with the unit or because of battery life?

:FlagAm:

GG, It's both.......

JEL, X2 on that ACOG mount. It's what I have for mine.

This was the 3rd EOTech to crap out on my sil's entry team on the SO, in the last 4 mos.

LG

Ouch! Was looking at some other sites as well in regards to the issue - SO MUCH INFO out there...but I do value my cowboy pards more than most ;)

...anyway here is one forum that had folks discussing one type versus another type.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=448165

Tell him there is also nothing wrong with keepin' it simple. I have an S&W M&P 15OR. Put a Trijicon 1.25X4 Accupoint with a Triangle Post reticle. At 1.25 power it acts like a red dot. At 4 power it is still good for groundhogs out to 150 yds. No batteries to go dead either. My only other accessory is a single point mount. Best prices that I found for Trijicon was at http://www.bearbasin.com/trijicon-rifle-scopes.htm Free shipping too. Oh, I do have a net shell catcher for it.

to properly answer I need to know what his intentions are for the rife... self defense, competition, hunting etc.

In post# 15 he mentioned "I primarily want the gun for family protection for things like natural disaster or economical breakdown where civilians become hostile"

Maybe he will chime in with any other interest in using his new Colt AR.

Oops i missed that post for self defense my mistake

For a defense rife a weapon light and sling are a must. I like El Zetta and sure fire lights, for a sling go with SOE gear or Savvy sniper.

You may want to consider a quality 1-4 power scope like a Vortex PST these have the versatility for close engagements on true 1 power and the 4X for longer shots. Im not a fan of EoTech I have seen to many fail. If you want a red dot go with Aimpoint. If you decide to go with the ACOG remember they are fixed magnification and you may want an off-set set of sights for close range targets.

Other things to consider would be a ready mag that way you can keep 2 mags on your rifle ready to go.

The front grip is not a necessity but try them out... I like the Magpul AFG2 grip (this is angled instead of straight)

A tip for 223 ballistics.... Zero your sights at 100yds this will allow for center mass hits out to 300 (at 20yds bullet impact will be about 3 inches high). If you continue to aim center chest the bullet will impact the knees at 400 and feet at 500. With out magnification a 500 yard shot is about max with irons unless you have very good vision.

You may also consider a compact chest rig to hold spare mags and an IFAK again I prefer SOE Gear

For training (most important) im a big fan of Magpul and Tactical Response

As far as triggers Geissele and JP make the best. I prefer the Geissele (SD3) Super dynamic 3 gun trigger this is a straight trigger and not curved.

Another forum you may want to visit is getofthex.com this is the forum run by James Yeager of Tactical Response (lots of good info)

I hope this helps good luck

CW

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Three MAIN things to consider after the AR purchase...

1. Optics

2. Light

3. Sling

In the choices above, practicality and available money are the primary drivers.

Anything else... is superfluous and minor personal preferences.

ts

One of these is handy ... http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG414/88 ... Magpul angled foregrip.

Single point sling adaptor (no disassembly required) ... http://www.tacticalaccessories.com/products/viewproduct.php?id_product=519

And a single point sling ... http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-tactical-single-point-sling-black.html

Red dot sight ... http://www.opticsplanet.com/truglo-red-dot-sights-tg8030gb.html

And as many magazines as you can find. I like the C-Products ones.

Archived