SASS Wire Forum

Urging the NRA and GOA to Combine & Coordinate Their Efforts

As you all know, We've been urging the major gun organizations to combine and coordinate their efforts in our fight to preserve, protect and defend the Second Amendment. This push for a combined effort is one of the primary goals for SASS in partnering with the NRA and GOA in this fight at the national level.

Below is the correspondence I recently emailed to my contatcs at the NRA and GOA urging once again this approach. We feel that sending our message as a combined and coordinated force would enhance the power of that messsage significantly--a real "combat multiplier" at the national level.

If you agree with this combined approach, please contact both these organizations and let them know they can count on the support for such joint action from you, their loyal members in sending a coordinated, resolute and resounding message of "NO" to the anti-gun element as proposed by SASS.

SASS HQs nor any of these gun organizations can do this without you. Yes, we can lead but you are Team SASS and only in your numbers resides the real strength.

Contact Links:

NRA Grassroots

GOA

Mr. Larry Pratt, Executive Director, Gun Owners of America

Mr. Glen Caroline, Director, NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

Gentlemen,

I’ve spoken to both of you separately in offering to back your respective organizations with the 50,000+ membership of the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS). In each of those conversations I expressed our thinking on how very important a combined and coordinated effort is to our common objective of preserving, protecting and defending the Second Amendment. I was encouraged when you both agreed that the benefit of a combined force was viewed as a real “combat multiplier” as we used to say in my former life.

We now face a concentrated effort on the part of the Obama administration and the anti-gun element of this country to drive a stake in the heart of that Second Amendment—a long held goal of this faction and a move we just cannot allow to succeed. We must send an exceptionally powerful message to them and all America that the Second is indeed sacred and we are here to see that it remains so.

Our proposal is for the NRA, GOA and SASS to very publicly combine forces and lock arms at the national level to send that exact message focused on this particular and most recent gun control bill which is soon to be offered in the Senate.

Can you envision how extraordinarily powerful such a combined action would be on the public scene? Three nationally recognized organizations staunchly joining forces and focusing their considerable influence on a single message aimed at a common target! Such a combined action would send an enormously potent message nationwide and thus be immeasurably stronger than 3 separate messages even if the words were the same in all three cases. A resounding and unified “NO” sent with as much national exposure as possible would be the modern day equivalent of the shot heard ‘round the world!

We view this as a unique opportunity to raise the level of intensity focused at the anti-gun element in America by displaying a significantly heightened degree of resolve via our combined and coordinated stand.

Please consider our proposal as soon as possible. The time to influence this particular battlefield is now.

With respect,

Dan Dall

aka Colonel Dan

Director, Team SASS

Single Action Shooting Society

Colonel,

I've given this very idea a considerable amount of thought. On occasion I've even vocally expressed this idea BUT the truth is I'm "on the fence" with regard to the idea. Wouldn't it be better to attack with a coalition of forces as military strategists have done in wars throughout the ages . . . "divide and conquer" like Monte, Eisenhower, and DeGalle did in WWII with one commander of all the allied forces. I do however concur that all/any gun organizations should speak with one voice, "NO" on gun control.

Six Shot, every successful coalition in history, to include the WW II example you cite, was a highly coordinated force. DIvide and conquer the foe yes, but a divided friendly force is much less effective.

I don't think GOA and the NRA are "divided" . They are pretty much saying the same thing, NO compromise on more gun legislation. That's the way I see it from "my saddle". I support and belong to both (as long as they keep saying the same thing, NO).

Another thought came to my mind (which I'm sure you've also heard before): It's not wise to put "all your eggs in one basket". If one caves on "NO compromise" the other will pick up the "battle standard" and continue the fight. Just sayin' . . . .

Six Shot although the internal Tactics within each element can certainly differ, the overall Strategy was a coordinated one and the world knew very clearly that the allies stood united and focused, engaging as a powerful force. The allies would not have been nearly as effective if half the force had decieded to attack Pas de Calais on their own while the other half attacked Normandy...or that half the force attacked Japan first while the others attacked Europe first.

The public message such a combined and unifed force sends would be very powerful indeed and if politicians take notice of anything, it's a power.

Again, if you don't agree, don't send the message--your call my friend. All I ask is that you soldier on and remain resolute.

Colonel Dan

So what are you suggesting Colonel? Larry Pratt and Wayne LaPierre call a press conference to say they are both on the same page? I think anybody and everybody who is engaged in this struggle knows that already.

So what are you suggesting Colonel? Larry Pratt and Wayne LaPierre call a press conference to say they are both on the same page? I think anybody and everybody who is engaged in this struggle knows that already.

But how about impressing and influencing those in Washington on both sides of the issue by demonstrating an added measure of unified resolve....that is never a wasted effort in my view.

Again, let's not get hung up on tactical nuances but keep our eyes focused on the main objective and fight this battle in a unified.

But how about impressing and influencing those in Washington on both sides of the issue by demonstrating an added measure of unified resolve....that is never a wasted effort in my view.

Again, let's not get hung up on tactical nuances but keep our eyes focused on the main objective and fight this battle in a unified.

I'm not opposed to speaking with "one voice" or being seen and heard publicly that organizations are in accord so set up a news conference and let 'em know in Washington that we (NRA, GOA, and SASS) speak with "one voice", NO! to further gun legislation.

Speaking of "speaking" . . . I thought this is an "open forum" and that we defend the Constitution and the "Bill of Rights" and the first amendment as well as the second?

"Speaking of "speaking" . . . I thought this is an "open forum" and that we defend the Constitution and the "Bill of Rights" and the first amendment as well as the second?"

===============

If your definition of "open forum" is any political topic goes then no this is not an "open forum."

The mission of Team SASS is to focus on helping to preserve, protect and defend the Second Amendment. This is not a forum for general political discussion. As is clear in our mission statement and concept of the operation, this is not to become a repeat of the old Political Fire. We are focused on the fight at hand and the fight at hand is preserving our pro-gun rights.

In that Second Amendment arena, I certainly encourage the open exchange of information and invite differing ideas on how we can best fight that fight.

Soldier on...

CD

"Speaking of "speaking" . . . I thought this is an "open forum" and that we defend the Constitution and the "Bill of Rights" and the first amendment as well as the second?"

===============

If your definition of "open forum" is any political topic goes then no this is not an "open forum."

The mission of Team SASS is to focus on helping to preserve, protect and defend the Second Amendment. This is not a forum for general political discussion. As is clear in our mission statement and concept of the operation, this is not to become a repeat of the old Political Fire. We are focused on the fight at hand and the fight at hand is preserving our pro-gun rights.

In that Second Amendment arena, I certainly encourage the open exchange of information and invite differing ideas on how we can best fight that fight.

Soldier on...

CD

I thought we were discussing how to protect and defend the second amendment.

"Open" forum meaning the ability to discuss our thoughts "openly" about this subect. It's called discourse or are we just supposed to take directives?

Six Shot, "directive" was not the intent at all. Open discussion of ideas re this fight is welcome. If my response came across as directive, it was unintentional.

The purpose of the original post was to inform Team SASS as to the action we took and to request a show of Team SASS support be sent to the NRA and GOA if you agreed with the premise. Nothing more implied.

Soldier on cowboy...

Six Shot, "directive" was not the intent at all. Open discussion of ideas re this fight is welcome. If my response came across as directive, it was unintentional.

The purpose of the original post was to inform Team SASS as to the action we took and to request a show of Team SASS support be sent to the NRA and GOA if you agreed with the premise. Nothing more implied.

Soldier on cowboy...

Your original post ASKED what we thought of the idea of of a "unified front". I expressed my opinion which I'm not going to reinterate to save "bandwidth". All three organizations have made themselves perfectly cleat to the anti's, NO MORE GUN LEGISLATION!. I think we are all in accord. If the three organizations want to have all three "heads" of their organizations show "solidarity" at a national press conference and say NO in front of the cameras, GO FOR IT! I won't oppose it.

The named orginizations wouldn't have to "merge" and become "one" force, but to stand together and speak as "one" would send a very powerfull message.

If these three would, as they should, others would join. The clans in Scotland finally united and won, even the colonies had to UNITE to beat the king. We are at the doorstep of a new revolution, we musn't squabble. As Ben Franklin said.......".If we don't hang together, we will hang seperatley." ..................... Let that burn in real good.

Knarley Bob

Colonel Dan, I'm a member of SASS, GOA, and the NRA, and I think you have a splendid idea. Emails going out!

I hope you don't mind that I used your wordng (aka 'plagiarized') by cutting and pasting into my email.Text follows:

I'm a member of the Gun Owners of America (GOA), National Rifle Associaton
(NRA), and the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS). I understand that SASS has
proposed that these three pro-firearms organizations very publicly combine
forces and lock arms at the national level to send an exceptionally powerful
message to all America that the Second Amendment is indeed sacred and we are
here to see that it remains so. A resounding and unified “NO” to any and all
gun control bills sent with as much national exposure as possible would be the
modern day equivalent of the shot heard ‘round the world!

I heartily endorse such an alliance.

Richard Katribe
GOA Life Member 23124959

NRA Patron Member 0024324345
SASS Life Member 44254

Laz

I wonder... I just got an email from the GOA asking me to email the NRA-ILA to "oppose the motion to proced" as suggested by GOA. A request to lobby the lobbyist as it is. Clearly, these two titanic forces are not quite on the same page, but, they should be.

So, letters away...

They don't line up in a lot of cases, and they tend to get into pissing matches, or so it seems. GOA (I still have trouble with that and have to say to myself, "No, NOT Greek Orthodox Archdiocese!"), from what I read, takes a more hard line stance than the NRA has been doing the past 10 or 15 years.

The leaders of all the major pro-civil rights groups need to sit down together and hammer out a strategy and areas of responsibility. But, while the national and state organizations are great, ultimate responsibility lies with the individual. We can't just kick in the dues and say "OK, done my part!" With the number of gun owners in the US we should not be having to face the challenges we do. Just as in CA, with something like 6,000,000 to 8,000,000 gun owners, we should not have to be on constant guard as we are. We need to be politically aware and active. Point out that all the laws passed have done nothing to reduce crime and violence. Time to try something else, rather than passing more laws (doing the same thing over and over) and expecting different results.

Archived