SASS Wire Forum

UN ATT could make many cowboy guns scarce

Six-Shot

Read and interpret these clauses in the UN Arms Trade Treaty. If passed they could "dry up" sources of "Cowboy Action guns.

In arguing in favor of the treaty, the American Bar Association openly
admitted that the treaty could have an adverse effect on the ability of
Americans to acquire imported firearms, by defending import restrictions as
"Constitutionally Valid." Also problematic with its analysis is that the ABA
considers it "highly unlikely that current U.S. regulations [pertaining to
imports] would be considered ‘inadequate’ and ‘inappropriate’ within the meaning
of the proposed ATT." It is well documented that many foreign countries consider
our gun laws inadequate; and such foreign sentiment could lead some countries to
bar exports to the U.S. as a result. Some of the countries that produce many of
the firearms Americans enjoy most – including Germany, Brazil and Italy -- have
much more stringent domestic firearm laws than the U.S. Should their governments
interpret the treaty in a manner in line with their domestic firearm policies,
the variety and supply of imported firearms available to the American consumer
could be greatly diminished.

It failed in the UN General Assembly and has gone back to committee for revision but will come up again for another vote. It is NOT DEAD. It has not come up for a vote in the US Senate yet.

I'm just not very concerned with this. There are pressing legislative issues that are far more important and will have more important consequences.

I'm just not very concerned with this. There are pressing legislative issues that are far more important and will have more important consequences.

UTB,

It's all important in different degrees, not only could this reduce the gun imports but the ammo, besides the russian ammo other countries manufacture and sell for all calibers.

KK

Okay, so, let other countires ban exprts to the USA. I can do without foreign built stuff. Job creation for manufacturing would scream into being. High cost you say? At first, yes. After a few years cost will drop as manufacturing recaptures its capital outlay and competition increases. Meanwhile, the rest of the countries would suffer from lack of sales. Might fix the trade imbalance.

UTB,

It's all important in different degrees, not only could this reduce the gun imports but the ammo, besides the russian ammo other countries manufacture and sell for all calibers.

KK

That's right - ALL attacks against our 2nd Amendment are 'big deals' - domestically or internationally.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I don't see how other countries not exporting guns to us is an infringement of my 2A right. PITA ...maybe.

My training and experience has been that you should alway identify the immediate threat and take it on first.

Right now I don't see this UN treaty as anything like immediate threat, especially when it might impact the economies of those foreign countries. And those countries are in some pretty bad financial straights right now. Italy and Japan banning gun exports to the US? Not very likely at all.

I'll keep my eye on any potential developments anywhere that may be damaging to our 2nd Amendment.

But I'm not going to allow myself to get worked up over things like this. I only have so much energy and our elected officials in state and federal positions are keeping me pretty occupied with the crap they're trying to pull. They get my full attention.

I don't see how other countries not exporting guns to us is an infringement of my 2A right. PITA ...maybe.

My training and experience has been that you should alway identify the immediate threat and take it on first.

Right now I don't see this UN treaty as anything like immediate threat, especially when it might impact the economies of those foreign countries. And those countries are in some pretty bad financial straights right now. Italy and Japan banning gun exports to the US? Not very likely at all.

I'll keep my eye on any potential developments anywhere that may be damaging to our 2nd Amendment.

But I'm not going to allow myself to get worked up over things like this. I only have so much energy and our elected officials in state and federal positions are keeping me pretty occupied with the crap they're trying to pull. They get my full attention.

Do what you feel you need to do and others will do what they feel is what needs to be done. Being aware...attentive...doesn't necessarily constitute ' getting worked up'.

GG

UB (of the Lazy Bob Ranch in Colorado), add one more thing to your list of interests . . . . shootin, readin, writin, sleepin, drinkin, thinkin, talkin, listenin, cookin, eatin, laughin, lovin . . . . call or write to your two US Senators that represent Colorado and ask them NOT to support the UN ATT.

Thanks brother!

Archived