SASS Wire Forum

73 mag tube

rustyfinger 22618

Trouble with feeding over all length does not cure the problem.rounds are not straight coming out of the mag tube.

Is there acure for this?

there seem that there is alot of room in the mag tube,for the 38/357cal.

I put a tube from a 92 inside one of my 73s just to try it.It does straighten the shells out.I am ordering some tubing that is about the same OD as the 73 and the ID of the 92.To try it I just used hot glue to hold it for a few shots.I used the 92 spring and the 73 follower.Dumb I know but it was something to do.

Problem especially bad with a full mag tube and the first round sits in carrier cocked with the rim over to the one side (the right)? Thus preventing the lever from cycling because the carrier jams on that round as the carrier starts to rise?

Very common problem with Uberti 73's made from about 1992 to 1997. But can occur on any of them. There is a burr that the factory did not smooth out inside the receiver.

Here's a good illustrated technique for cleaning up the problem.

http://www.dorseyfoto.com/73/73fix.htm

If this is not the problem, let us know. You could also have a badly shaped loading gate, but usually a problem there lets the round get back into the rear of the receiver, where the lever and toggle links run. That usually jams things up very tight.

Even though the mag tube seems a little oversize, the slot in the carrier usually has no problem "catching" the rounds as they pop out of the mag.

Good luck, GJ

I put a tube from a 92 inside one of my 73s just to try it.It does straighten the shells out.I am ordering some tubing that is about the same OD as the 73 and the ID of the 92.To try it I just used hot glue to hold it for a few shots.I used the 92 spring and the 73 follower.Dumb I know but it was something to do.

Someone had said that a marlin 38 mag tube would fit inside of the 73 tube.but not sure of the size of the marlin tube.

Problem especially bad with a full mag tube and the first round sits in carrier cocked with the rim over to the one side (the right)? Thus preventing the lever from cycling because the carrier jams on that round as the carrier starts to rise?

Very common problem with Uberti 73's made from about 1992 to 1997. But can occur on any of them. There is a burr that the factory did not smooth out inside the receiver.

Here's a good illustrated technique for cleaning up the problem.

http://www.dorseyfoto.com/73/73fix.htm

If this is not the problem, let us know. You could also have a badly shaped loading gate, but usually a problem there lets the round get back into the rear of the receiver, where the lever and toggle links run. That usually jams things up very tight.

Even though the mag tube seems a little oversize, the slot in the carrier usually has no problem "catching" the rounds as they pop out of the mag.

Good luck, GJ

Done that mod.the round that needs to be pushed back in the tube is cocked up and in a bind.

I lied,I just pulled it back out and I used the 92 follower.I put tape over the end to keep the spring in.I will cut the 92 tube off abut 1/4" so my 73 plug will screw in.It all work good.Make it a little heavier but not much.That was my spare 92 tube,guess I will be looking for a new spare.

I lied,I just pulled it back out and I used the 92 follower.I put tape over the end to keep the spring in.I will cut the 92 tube off abut 1/4" so my 73 plug will screw in.It all work good.Make it a little heavier but not much.That was my spare 92 tube,guess I will be looking for a new spare.

PBT,at the foward end how does it effect the round that needs to be pushed back in the tube.

It does not slide in the frame.It seem to work just fine.The 92 follower don,t come in any farther than the 73 follower.I am going to run it some more but I think it will be good.I try to measure the hole that is in the frame but could not.I don't know how to take the 73 apart but it really seem ok.I just put some snap cap in it and watched how it work and it seem to work better that my other 73.

It does not slide in the frame.It seem to work just fine.The 92 follower don,t come in any farther than the 73 follower.I am going to run it some more but I think it will be good.I try to measure the hole that is in the frame but could not.I don't know how to take the 73 apart but it really seem ok.

Thank you ,,as long as we learn something and can do it ourshelfs its all worth it.Rusty

I run 1.505 in my 92s and my 73s .I just cut the 92 tube 3/16" and got a really good light and the 92 follower does go it about 1/8".I cut the 92 spring and loaded up 10 rounds and run them as fast as I could and reloaded and ran 10 more. It seem to be good.

You can buy the proper size aluminum tube, stainless spring, and stainless follower from Deuce Stevens. They're cowboy gunworks parts. I put one in my 73 and it made a smooth rifle smoother.

Thanks maybe what i am looking for.

Had that problem with my 20 inch 73.Took the spring out and the darn thing hung out of the mag tube by almost a foot.Cut the spring off to about 4 inches out of the tube and didn't have a problem after that.

I turned down the 73 follower and cut the 92 spring and put it all back together.I ran some 1.40 and some 1.588 357 load and lot in between. I mixed them up and ran just the 1.40 and just the 1.588 and it did not matter.They all ran smooth and not his-up.It is a little heavier.I may find some other tubing that is lighter.It maybe ok like it is.I guess I can't leave thing alone.TIME ME WITH A SUNDAIL.Pit Bull

I turned down the 73 follower and cut the 92 spring and put it all back together.I ran some 1.40 and some 1.588 357 load and lot in between. I mixed them up and ran just the 1.40 and just the 1.588 and it did not matter.They all ran smooth and not his-up.It is a little heavier.I may find some other tubing that is lighter.It maybe ok like it is.I guess I can't leave thing alone.TIME ME WITH A SUNDAIL.Pit Bull

OUTSTANDING,iam thinking about talking to deuce about his mag tubes maybe lighter,thanks for the info.i will keep it in mind.Rusty

Archived