SASS Wire Forum

I'm off of swing shift!

Subdeacon Joe

Swing is the hardest shift in my opinion.

I used to like 3rd shift, but it makes sleep schedules difficult as well. Especially if you are renting a house for sale that realtors don't heed the instructions to arrange showings in advance. Nothing like being woken up by strangers in your house and bedroom.

Last time I was on third shift, many many years ago, I woke up in a ditch on the way home from work one morning. I focused a bit better on getting enough sleep after that :D

After almost 40 years of getting up between 5 and 6 a.m. my body just does it. So get home midnightish, visit with my wife, shower, unwind until 2:30 or 3 a.m. And still wake up between 5 and 6 a.m. Yeah, I catch a nap around noon, but still a huge sleep deficit. Not good for the health, mental or physical.

But, I weathered it, and God has given me something better now that I'm ready for it.

good for you!!!! Worked shifts for years, ugh!

happy trails

cpbc

I'm just ending 13 years of 2nd shift work. Tomorrow I have my seperation interview and sign the severance papers. Monday I sign up for unemployment. The plant I worked at is closing up and moving out of state.

Getting out of bed before 8 A.M. is going to take a lot of getting use to.

Awhile back, for 2 years, I worked 2 full time jobs. Got up at 2:30 5 days a week. Sleeping in was til 5 AM. Still need to get up at 2:30 a couple of days a week. Most nights, I still wake up at 2:30.

Awhile back, for 2 years, I worked 2 full time jobs. Got up at 2:30 5 days a week. Sleeping in was til 5 AM. Still need to get up at 2:30 a couple of days a week. Most nights, I still wake up at 2:30.

Yep, it sucks. If I can get home, shower, and get to sleep by, oh, 1 a.m. I wake up about 2 or 2;30 and am up until about 9a.m. Then an hour nap, back up. Makes for a LOOOOOng day.

Hey all. I'm back around the forum because of shift/hours changes.

If any remember I was a firefighter (loved that schedule... seriously messed with my sleep patterns though) until I was injured, twice. Re-trained in culinary and started cooking.

I hated working the dinner shift. Worse than being woken up in the middle of the night to alarms.

Except for Monday, I'm back on days... weekdays! I'm baking, instead of cooking, and loving it.

Hopefully, in the near future I can make the local matches on Saturday.

Subdeacon Joe, congrats! (I remember talking on the wire/saloon about cooking with you)

Congrats SDJ!! I worked a rotating shift for about 9 months. I covered for folks going on vacation etc. I could work swing one week, graveyard the next, days the next and so on. I never knew from week to week which shift I would be on the following week. I about went bonkers. My sleep schedule was so messed up.... I finally got out of that job. Couldn't take it.

Hey all. I'm back around the forum because of shift/hours changes.

If any remember I was a firefighter (loved that schedule... seriously messed with my sleep patterns though) until I was injured, twice. Re-trained in culinary and started cooking.

I hated working the dinner shift. Worse than being woken up in the middle of the night to alarms.

Except for Monday, I'm back on days... weekdays! I'm baking, instead of cooking, and loving it.

Hopefully, in the near future I can make the local matches on Saturday.

Subdeacon Joe, congrats! (I remember talking on the wire/saloon about cooking with you)

Yeah! I wondered what happened to you. We swapped some recipes. You're up around Eureka, aren't you?

Yeah! I wondered what happened to you. We swapped some recipes. You're up around Eureka, aren't you?

Hi, sorry for the delay. Easter is a big day at the restaurant, with days of prep to lead up to Sunday.

We did exchange some recipes and talk about some good cooking strategies.

I hope days are treating you well. We actually have a day of sunshine today in the Eureka area.

Archived