SASS Wire Forum

Lewis Lead Remover Replacement Rubber

As many of you know, the Lewis Lead Remover is a great tool. After prolonged use, the rubber sleeve on the tip will deterioate and need to be replaced. I have been unable to find a source for just the rubber sleeve. You can find the entire replacement tip for about $11.95 from Brownells but I don't need the entire tip as I already have two of them. Does anyone know a source for just the replacement rubber sleeves in .45 and .38 cal. or some other item that might serve as a replacement for them?

I am thinkin...off the top here...If you have the original box ( and I have two of em ) There are some instructions inside and maybe someone to contact. Maybe with that you could call or email.

Let me know and I can check this evening in mine.

Course, there maybe no contact info.

OkD

I just looked in Brownells and they have what you are looking for. Says rubber tip replacement.

I saw that. All I need is the rubber sleeve. Called Brownells. They do not offer just the rubber sleeve.

Slim:

You should be able to fing a piece of rubber tubing with about the right ID and OD at a hardware or auto supply house.

Hipshot

Thanks Hipshot. I have already check with my local hardware that carries almost everything. My next stop will be the auto supply house.

From the original paperwork:

L.E.M. Gun Specialties

PO Box 2855

Peachtree City, GA 30269-2024

However, I BELIEVE that the Lewis Lead Remover might only be marketed thru Brownells now.

Did some research on L.E.M. Gun Specialties and it seems that Brownells owns that company.

I think the better option is to get you some bronze wool usually available for a paint store, marine paint store for sure. Use and old bore brush any size smaller that the bore, wrap it with the bronze wool so that its tight in the bore. It works just as well as the Lewis and much easier to keep up with.

A word of caution though, some folks will tell you that you can use steel wool, or pot scrubbers like core boy but steel can damage the bore and some of those pot scrubber look like copper but are actually just copper plated steel. Not good.

Slim:

You should be able to fing a piece of rubber tubing with about the right ID and OD at a hardware or auto supply house.

Hipshot

That little piece of tubing is an interesting piece of material.

I don't think a hardware store's gonna have it. The Durometer Shore (sorry-plastic, not steel) hardness of that rubber or plastic hose is rather high, compared to plain old rubber or plastic tubing.

You might want to try a "Big Boys' Toys" type hobby shop that deals in high end toys and small, engine-driven model cars, planes, etc. Look for a hard rubber fuel line hose. Most of that stuff is softer, though. Remove the thing and mic it to get wall thickness, ID and OD. NOTE: OD and Wall Thickness is going to be tough to measure, since yours is worn.

Also try an industrial supply house, such as McMaster-Carr, which has on-line sales. This one-half-cent piece of plastic hose will set you back $10.00+ or slightly less than half the price of the whole LLR gadget if you buy it as "Part No. 123xyz." Oh, well.

Cat Brules.

According to the chore boy web site their copper wool is 99.997% pure copper. I use it and it works great......Doc

http://choreboyscrubbers.com/Products/Ultimate%20Scrubbers%20Pure%20Copper.aspx

I use their copper pads as I find the steel wool can leave bits and pieces everywhere. Once you cut out the center section you can cut off pieces to wrap around a brush.

Archived