SASS Wire Forum

Dog's Last Will & Testament.

Subdeacon Joe

Been just over six weeks now since we put our Lizzie down. She was a fine bird dog, house dog, and family member. She always tried to please us and she gave us thirteen and a half years of joy. I miss Lizzie.

All of the four legged canine family members have left a mark on me. As a kid there was Skippy, and then Corkie. He was more Mom's boy, but as kid I played with him and he brought me joy and a sense of responsibility. Then along came Rodney, mostly for the girls, but he was a main player in the family, then Beau, the poor pure bred that had so many issues. But he loved as only a loved dog can. And then there was Nikki. My wife brought him home and he took over. The stories I could tell about him. And Maggie was the rescued dog that my neighbor saved and left with us when he moved. She was a sweet heart. We also shared Lucy with our neighbor. She was a mistreated dog that came with Maggie. It took us three years to get her to come to hand.

At the end she knew she had a home, two in fact because she spent as much time at our house as she did next door.

And now we have Captain Jack. He is such a part of my life that... well he just is. When I was on chemo, he sat patiently with me until I felt like getting up and doing something. Right now he is asleep behind my chair as I type. Next to my wife and daughters, he is my very best friend.

Yep. They add so much and ask so little. How does that prayer go? "God, please make me into the person my dog thinks I am." Something like that.

Silver, Lady, Pal, Amigo, Scurvy Jake the Wonder Dog, Cleon Jones, Wootzie, Merlin, Kestrel, and now April. Plus the cats.

Just remembering the dogs of my past, the four-legged, furry brothers that taught me love as I was growing up, brings a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes.

Schnapps, Faust and Cassius, you did your job well.

And now we have Rudy (born 9-11-2001) and Zeb, our yellow and black Labs, to continue our education.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/BamaRed/Critters/100_0309.jpg

All of the four legged canine family members have left a mark on me. As a kid there was Skippy, and then Corkie. He was more Mom's boy, but as kid I played with him and he brought me joy and a sense of responsibility. Then along came Rodney, mostly for the girls, but he was a main player in the family, then Beau, the poor pure bred that had so many issues. But he loved as only a loved dog can. And then there was Nikki. My wife brought him home and he took over. The stories I could tell about him. And Maggie was the rescued dog that my neighbor saved and left with us when he moved. She was a sweet heart. We also shared Lucy with our neighbor. She was a mistreated dog that came with Maggie. It took us three years to get her to come to hand.

At the end she knew she had a home, two in fact because she spent as much time at our house as she did next door.

And now we have Captain Jack. He is such a part of my life that... well he just is. When I was on chemo, he sat patiently with me until I felt like getting up and doing something. Right now he is asleep behind my chair as I type. Next to my wife and daughters, he is my very best friend.

++++1.

Pug, Gordo, Flight, Jinx, Samantha, Kita, and Nellie you still bring me memories: smiles, love and tears. I had to put 4 of you down and that tore me up a lot; holding you and reassuring you while you passed to the Rainbow Bridge by my life and death decision.

I'm without one right now, but the prayer is making me consider a change to that.

Looking forward to the Bridge.

Harvey, it will not only enrich your life, it will give purpose to a furry child looking for a home and family and an outlet for all that unconditional love. :wub:

You can't go wrong, you can't lose. :D

I agree, it hurts like hell when they leave us after a few short years to go back to Piddlers Green, but that's a small price for the huge amount of unconditional love they give us - and teach us to give.

Yer all right, of course, but when the sequestration furloughs end, I will likely return to three weeks on the road a month (my average for the last 10 years+), and that just don't seem fair to our canine friend, or Momma.

My second retirement is fast approaching (finishing daughter's student loans, hopefully), and I think we WILL have a loyal trusted friend then, who will recieve the love and attention he/she deserves! WIfe wants a little one, and I'm more partial to bit larger, but we will work it out (little one will win... <_< !

Thanks,

Harvey

My 3 chows are like my kids. They are very protective when my wife is home alone. And I do believe they would give their lives to protect her. Yet they can be the most loving and seem to know when something is wrong.

I think the IRS should let a person claim them as dependents. After all, they are family!

Yer all right, of course, but when the sequestration furloughs end, I will likely return to three weeks on the road a month (my average for the last 10 years+), and that just don't seem fair to our canine friend, or Momma.

My second retirement is fast approaching (finishing daughter's student loans, hopefully), and I think we WILL have a loyal trusted friend then, who will recieve the love and attention he/she deserves! WIfe wants a little one, and I'm more partial to bit larger, but we will work it out (little one will win... <_< !

Thanks,

Harvey

Yeah, if you're gonna be away a lot, it isn't fair. They pine and mope.

After years of having decent sized dogs - 60 to 90 pounds, then two years without one, we now have a toy poodle that weighs in at maybe 6 pounds or so. Hard to get used to, but kind of nice to have a dog that can't pull you along.

Susie, Rat Terrier we had growing up. The smartest dog I ever saw until Alex. Lived to be 18 years old.

Baron Von Ripper. Doberman with unclipped ears. Smart dog, lost him after he got out of a loose door.

Sesto, another Doberman. Damn smart and loyal pal........lost in a divorce.

Alex, got him at a shelter. Cross between a Lab and Doberman. Absolutely the smartest and most loyal dog that ever lived. Lost him 10 1/2 years ago, almost 14 years old, I miss him everyday.

Boo Bear, my girlfriends dog. Cross between a Shitzu and a Poodle. Smart dog but entirely stupid.

Haven't had a dog in almost 8 months. Just don't want (at this time) to deal with the eventual loss..........although the joy of life would outweigh it.

CS

Had Sally when I was a kid. She was my "Yeller Dog". We lived in the country, she was my constant companion. A truly great dog. I have no doubt she would protect me from ANYTHING. Once an adult friend of ours was visiting, we were outside, Sally was laying on the ground, asleep. The guy playfully grabbed me, Sally shot off the ground and had him by the throat on the ground in less time than it took to type this. My dad got her off of him. Another time she would not let me play on a tire swing. We could not figure out what she was uo to, Then we saw the snake on the branch above the swing!

Also had Snaups, a dachshund , Buford, a Catahoula, Dexter a Dalmation, and now have Sarah, another dachshund. All good dogs in their own way. I doubt we get another after Sarah goes to the big doghouse in the sky, we want to be able to travel without having to worry about a dog.

I've said it before, it's amazing what a bunch of softies we are when it comes to our pets. And I bet we remember the names of the pets we had growing up better than the names of the kids we played with.

I've said it before, it's amazing what a bunch of softies we are when it comes to our pets. And I bet we remember the names of the pets we had growing up better than the names of the kids we played with.

ABSOLUTELY!

I adopted My Juliet one year ago middle of april. I had gone two years with out a dog. My last dog died three years ago this labor day and someone told me when my girl was passing that the right dog would find me, And they were right! I met my new girl in the shelter and have not looked back. We walk daily(if it does not rain)and it is good for both of us. She brings a lot into my and my girlfriend's life. You cannot buy love like this.

Archived