SASS Wire Forum

Easy fix for Marlin stocks

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

The Marlin stock as most of you may know, has a weakness if handled roughly. It depends on two small extentions from the stock to fit into the reciever, to keep the stock fitting the receiver well. It also depends on those two extentions to keep the stock from splitting. Ask me how I know,,,,emergency duct tape at WR a year ago.... A bolt through the stock at the grip will hold it very well, after the pieces break off, or before, the extentions break off, and they will. Take the stock off and measure back about 1 1/4", to just in front of the hammer spring set up. Find a bolt that looks half decent and drill and countersink a hole for the bolt, countersink both sides... and wa laa....you won't have to worry about the stock spliting in two again..... at least it has worked for me...

CPBC

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least for mine, the bolt/ screw actually is located between the reciever and the hammer spring. no remove screw/bolt no remove stock

cpbc

Use this from Brownells 080-034-006WB, escutcheon w/ screw. Drill hole with countersink, insert escutcheon on both side of grip area, insert screw, measure and cut to length. Easy fix and looks better. Looks like an escutcheon of a Ruger Vaquero grip panels.

Yep. Been running one of these for a few years now after I went through 2 stocks in one match. Usually get a few strange looks and laughs at the loading table. I just tell them it's part of the B-Western bling.

The best fix is to glass bed the stock before it breaks. The 92 is basically the same setup as the Marlin. Rossi offers the 92 in 454 Casull and one of it's weakness's is the recoil tends to split the stocks under the tangs. Well fitted hard grain walnut would do a better job. But, that can be expensive. Glass bedding hardens the connection and fills any gaps in the fit.

You guys sure are hard on your rifles if your breaking the stock off during a stage.

I reckon,,,,won a match wunce by .04 seconds. Wudda lost iffn Ide laid my rifle down softly, even wunce...

and I still can't git close tu Duece.

thit Purdy boy B western shooter from FL/OH

Archived