SASS Wire Forum

I guess for the most part I am interested in the seating/crimping step, why are roll crimps used on these calibers? It appears that Hornady offers these with either roll or taper crimp dies. It would also seem that the roll crimp is most popular as their set of 9mm Luger/9x21 dies?? One set of my 45acp dies also use a roll crimp. How do they seat in the chamber if a roll crimp is used?

My opinion? Poorly

Both are supposed to headspace on the case mouth. Roll crimp and the case mouth turns in and is no longer effective.

The proper crimp for these cartridges is a taper crimp, just digging the case mouth into the bullet slightly.

A roll crimp die can USUALLY be adjusted to just taper crimp the very mouth of the case. But that means you have to be belling only a slight bit, because that crimping technique will not remove all of the bell!

So, much easier and more foolproof to use the proper taper crimp die, both for 9mm Parabellum and 45 ACP, even with lead slugs.

Good luck, GJ

I have made my 45 acp into a 4 die process. #3 seats the bullet and then #4 gives it a taper crimp.

Yeah, me too! Gives a more repeatable OAL, which is important with many .45 auto loads.

Good luck, GJ

Archived