SASS Wire Forum

HDMI cables

Red Cent

I recently replaced my front projection projector. And now I gotta get HDMI cables. I thought you ran out to Radio Shack, bought 30 feet with a booster, paid them close to a hunnerd and went home. UntilI I talked to my youngest son and mentioned the cost. Well, needless to say I took 'em back.

Shopping the internet and reading, watching tutorials, and comparing specs, can sure learn you a lot. Kinda like too much.

I need your help on some info. I need 30 feet(big den/man cave). A "booster" is mentioned for runs over 15 ft. Then I read with good cables, I don't need it. Since the total is going to be reasonable I would like to anticipate great things from Direct TV and get cables that will handle the now and forseeable future. The new projector is HD and 3D comtaible and with good numbers.

I am running it now with a regular cable and it looks pretty good and I know I will be tickled pink when I hook up the HDMI cable.

What do I get?

Please.

RC,

I've been doing install for quite a while (20yrs).

I would not get the amplifier / booster. A good cable should be fine. If not you can always do it later. Watch out for sharp bends.

Judge

Been to Monoprice.com. Watched the tutorial. Seen the RedMeres, CL2, different gauges, and now the question. Which specific cable?

Have you used the multiple HDMI hookup for the other devices? I would be coming out of a Direct TV receiver to the multi box and then out to the projector. I have the typical radio receiver, the ubitqous DVD palyer, the VHS player, a DVD/VHS player and burn unit, hooked up to six speakers for the surround sound. The player devices are not HDMI compatible but plan to replace the DVD player real quick. Want to plug the player/burner in also and maybe some more. Probably don't need a HDMI hookup for the VHS, huh? :)

Fast Enuff, that is scary inexpensive. I know. Hang up time. What about the gauge? I read where someone suggested 22AWG for the long run. True or bunk?

I use only cheap cables, works fine for me. This article pretty much says if a cable is really HDMI compliant, then you can go up to 45' without an amp.

Also, you want an HDMI 1.4 cable if you plan on 1080p at 120hz

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/how-long-can-hdmi-run.htm

I've been selling computer parts for 16 years. Yes, it's a "really cheap" cable. But I've used dozens of that guy's cables over the last decade.

Sure, when you buy one that cheap there is always a chance it'll be bad... but I think I've seen one bad cable out of about 30. Absolute worst case? You get another one. :)

Essentially, everything you hear about "cable quality" in big retail stores is a con job. If the cable is built properly to the wiring pinout and cable standard you need (IE - HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 etc...) and the wiring gauge is sufficient for the signal to get there intact, it works. Period.

In the old days when signals were entirely analog like with speaker wire bigger is generally better on wire gauge because the signal travels down the outside of the cable surface so bigger cable = better quality signal, less loss, less noise.

Today that's no longer true. The signals are digital with error tolerance. If the signal arrives and works, it's as good as the $150 gold plated mega wire gauge Italian leather covered supercable.

I've got tons of $10, 10 foot HDMI and HDMI to DVI cables. They all work. I'm typing this on a 47" screen that is hooked up with one of those cables.

You'll notice the guy also has a bunch of optical cables for audio. Check out how cheap a 20 footer is compared to Best Buy. :) Yep, they work too.

Rule #1 is never, ever buy cables from the big box stores. That's where they make the money back that you might have saved on the TV or receiver. 1000% markup or more on cables is common. Even if you need something "a little better" don't get it at Best Buy (or Radio Shack)

I've had good luck with these folks. Lots of HDMI cable information, and a wide selection of cables..

http://www.mycablemart.com/

I have about a 25 ft run using good cables without a booster.

Please, someone, make a suggestion. I have no hang ups on saving money nor am I hung up on paying a reasonable price for a product that will perform. I am out of my sphere of knowledge regarding HDMI cables.

My Direct TV receiver is about 40' from my dual Direct TV roof hook up that is in the attic. And the projector is about 28' in the other direction. That means I need to run an HDMI from the dual hookup to the receiver and then to the projector. Or do I need to run one from the dual device to the receiver? No, it would be impractical to move the dual hook up. Four more TVs are hooked up to it. Each hook up of the dual device has a multiplier. :)

I've been selling computer parts for 16 years. Yes, it's a "really cheap" cable. But I've used dozens of that guy's cables over the last decade.

Sure, when you buy one that cheap there is always a chance it'll be bad... but I think I've seen one bad cable out of about 30. Absolute worst case? You get another one. :)

Essentially, everything you hear about "cable quality" in big retail stores is a con job. If the cable is built properly to the wiring pinout and cable standard you need (IE - HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 etc...) and the wiring gauge is sufficient for the signal to get there intact, it works. Period.

In the old days when signals were entirely analog like with speaker wire bigger is generally better on wire gauge because the signal travels down the outside of the cable surface so bigger cable = better quality signal, less loss, less noise.

Today that's no longer true. The signals are digital with error tolerance. If the signal arrives and works, it's as good as the $150 gold plated mega wire gauge Italian leather covered supercable.

I've got tons of $10, 10 foot HDMI and HDMI to DVI cables. They all work. I'm typing this on a 47" screen that is hooked up with one of those cables.

You'll notice the guy also has a bunch of optical cables for audio. Check out how cheap a 20 footer is compared to Best Buy. :) Yep, they work too.

Rule #1 is never, ever buy cables from the big box stores. That's where they make the money back that you might have saved on the TV or receiver. 1000% markup or more on cables is common. Even if you need something "a little better" don't get it at Best Buy (or Radio Shack)

THIS! I have run good cables and cheap cables. Cheap works as well as good in 90+% of cases. Retail stores rip you off on cables, period.

Ordered a 30' hi-speed. Shipping almost doubled the price. :)

Archived